Comprehensive list of great live albums - 2017 edition (1 Viewer)

The first Neko Case record I heard was The Tigers Have Spoken, which was recorded over a few shows, but you wouldn't realise as it flows like a proper gig.

Perhaps because it was the first album of hers I ever had but I think it is my favourite. Her voice and the harmonies with Kelly Hogan are absolutely sensational. And there is a nice delay on the guitar for most of it.

The only drawback is it reminds me of the gig they played in Crawdaddy in 06 and some prime cunt wouldn't shut the fuck up for the whole gig.

Anyway, here's a bit of what I'm talking about

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love live albums, even when it's a ropey recording you generally get a better sense of what an artist is really like that can sometimes get lost in the studio. That said, it depends on the artist. My wife sometimes complains that it's not the same as the studio version or not as polished, but for me that's the charm.

For example, I love The Velvet Underground's studio albums but it's the live albums that I turn to most. Songs shift in form and style, they latch on to the energy in the room and there's the sense of danger that it all might spin out of control. So what if Lou sings out of key or if the recording quality is a bit muffled; that energy is rarely caught in the studio. Compare the studio version of "White Light/White Heat" with the version from the Matrix Tapes box set:

I couldn't call one better than the other but there's a feeling to the live recording that just isn't there in the studio.

Fuck, I think I'm going to have to dig out all my VU live albums and bootlegs this weekend.

I like albums that are recorded live, especially acoustic ones. Can't think of many examples now, but I know Palace Brothers had one. During one track you could hear real live thunder rumbling in the background.

Jolie Holland's debut was like this too. Sounded like she was playing in your sitting room.

I know this is not quite what the the thread is getting at, but still.

all good points, lads. i might have to reconsider my binary stance.

@chris d - that tigers record is great, way prefer it to her austin city limits one (where she doesn't quite hit the note on 'favorite')

@Jim Daniels - i don't think jolie has ever played a proper gig here but my brother was privy to an actual living room show (around escondida/springtime-era) somewhere on s.c.r..

will oldham is a demon for the live albums (wilding/summer/is it the sea?) - i think funtown comedown is my favourite.

Fuck, I think I'm going to have to dig out all my VU live albums and bootlegs this weekend.
for me, there's a difference between live albums and boots. once the band decides to give it an official release, they're putting it on a pedestal. i still trade bootlegs (mostly mountain goats) but i have lower expectations than if something gets an official release.

for me, there's a difference between live albums and boots. once the band decides to give it an official release, they're putting it on a pedestal. i still trade bootlegs (mostly mountain goats) but i have lower expectations than if something gets an official release.
I buy VU bootlegs as they tend to have cool sleeves (and in the case of Live at the Gymnasium, it was approved by John Cale but Lou Reed wouldn't allow it to be officially released so Cale just gave away the recording to a bootlegger) but generally I will just trade and download them. There's a lot of stuff that will never see the light of day officially so I don't worry about it, I say I have about 30 Neil Young bootlegs from various stages in his career which are interesting if not listenable.

I think I have about 5 days worth of Keiji Haino bootlegs...

I think I have about 5 days worth of Keiji Haino bootlegs...
that's me and the mountain goats. (also have nearly a day's worth of necks boots, but that's only 20-odd tracks... and i can't find anyone to trade with)

There's a lot of stuff that will never see the light of day officially so I don't worry about it
yeah, the mountain goats have a number of great (to me - not here to discuss their de/merits) songs that are live-only, for different reasons - thank-yous for coming to the gig, songs that didn't quite fit the current album, or can't be released for legal or personal reasons, or which he wrote for other people so won't record himself - but the main guy is also against the idea of an official live album, which fuels the trading community (or downloads/archive.org). also, his stage chat is rarely less than entertaining and he never duplicates sets, so each one has something to recommend it.

I like albums that are recorded live, especially acoustic ones. Can't think of many examples now, but I know Palace Brothers had one. During one track you could hear real live thunder rumbling in the background.

Jolie Holland's debut was like this too. Sounded like she was playing in your sitting room.

I know this is not quite what the the thread is getting at, but still.

OH!! some else likes that record.
great.

hmm, there's very few live albums I actually rate start to finish at all these days. Even the ones by artists I'm a big fan of are usually just a few good songs where they do something interesting and new with the live arrangement and then a load of songs that are just lesser versions of the album take.

I suppose Stop Making Sense? I know lots of people who treat that as the only Talking Heads album in existence.

I have a load of Prince live stuff obviously but his two official live albums are pretty mediocore so it's mostly bootlegsville.

Last edited:

Wouldn't be that big on live albums. I'd say I own less than 10. The classic live and dangerous being one, but when you read about it you have to wonder are any live albums 100% live?

Wouldn't be that big on live albums. I'd say I own less than 10. The classic live and dangerous being one, but when you read about it you have to wonder are any live albums 100% live?
Yes, I'd say plenty are. I'd say most live polished live albums from the 70s-90s have overdubs but my impression of more recent live albums is that there is less need for overdubs as they will cherry pick the best take from a tour (as opposed to being only able to record one date or two) and the ability to record everything properly is much more advanced now.

Plus there are loads of live recordings sourced from audience recordings that are warts and all.

If you like your music live then listen to the Rock show on Nova on Friday nights. "And this week our featured album is the new live one from Glen Hughes", "and now a triple play from the new live album from the edgar winter band" etc... He loves the live stuff. (mostly totally boring).

Memorable live albums from my life:
Motorhead : No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Iron Maiden : Live After Death
Marillion : Real to Reel
Monsters Of Rock : Donnington '82
Misfits : Live Evil
Judee Sill : Live in London

@Jim Daniels - i don't think jolie has ever played a proper gig here but my brother was privy to an actual living room show (around escondida/springtime-era) somewhere on s.c.r.

It was in an apartment on Charlemont Street, upstairs in the block that now houses Sip & Slurp. January 2005, I think. She played December 1999, a couple of 19th century US 'parlour songs', a Freakwater cover (or two?) and a bunch more of her own songs.

I always tell myself I love Talking Heads, but really what I love is the Stop Making Sense versions of This must be the place and Slippery People

The rest of their oeuvre gets admiration rather than love, but still I love the people who made those 2 songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back