Comprehensive List of Bands You're Glad You Saw (1 Viewer)

Going on a whim......

Cornershop,really.

Way before Brimful of Asha and all that crap they were a pretty loud noisey bunch. They played to about 10 people in Belfast in the Penny Farthing.A bunch of us only went because we knew the person putting it on and he was worried about the turnout(and lucky we did). It was ferociously loud and the noise reminded me of Sonic Youth or something. Totally killer. Still don't care for any of the records at all though,even the early ones.

I wonder if this was the same tour as the Cork/Dublin gigs mentioned in the "bands I wish I hadn't seen'' thread?

CW Stoneking in The Workmans..small venue, great crowd, one of my favourite gigs

CW Stoneking in the Button Factory- venue too big, crowd that wouldn't shut the fuck up

I should start yet another thread to add to these similar but differently themed threads

so many bands -
got to be Paranoid Visions in the Ivy Rooms, showed me it was ok for anyone to be in a band.
The Pleasure Cell showed me it was important for bands to treat people who pay into gigs the same as those playing
The Membranes showed that bands from a different country with records out were humans too
Fugazi cos they kick started so much of what went on with Hope
Snuff cos they were brilliant
The EX cos they were on stage in Dublin
Slum Turkeys, Lithium Joe and many others for friendships
and on and on it goes,

one other one I thought of. Back in around 1994, during Rag Week in college, they put up a tent in the middle of nowhere on campus and brought different bands in every day. One of the days Mexican Pets played. I knew their stuff pretty well cos I knew one of the band pretty well. Had never seen them live before then. Anyway, there were about 10 people there and they were great. I think the band themselves were really pleased with the performance they put on.

That was one of only 2 times I saw them play. The other time was the reunion gig a few years back. Also very good, but not a patch on that gig 20 years ago (fuck, 20 years?)

The EX cos they were on stage in Dublin
Slum Turkeys,

Actually,the first time the Ex played whatever 20 odd years ago,when the played Giros,pretty sure I was under the impression they would suck,but I had to go as it was the first gig in the new building. They were amazing,saw them years later and thought it was a bit meh.

Slum Turkeys played belfast,I don't actually remember if I'd heard them before it,I think I had though. Luckily for them I went down early becasue there were loads of equipment problems and I think the promoter had not shown up. I had what they needed at home and was able to get things sorted. They were incredible.

King's x in the SFX obviously. Went witha friend who really liked them. Best gig ever.

Not huge events but glad I was there gigs;
Ride, the tivoli.
Ween in the village, actually this was amazing!
Wheat in the TBMC. Just a really cool gig.
AC/dc in the O2, I'd hate to have only seen the outdoor gig.
Bowie in the Olympia.
Mexican pets / pet lamb in whelans

Portico Quartet in Whelan's. Saw a post on here about it, sounded good and wasn't doing anything that night so decided to head along. They were brilliant, and have been one of my favourite acts since.

Lali Puna in TBMC. I quite liked their first album, and went along on a whim. They were over an hour late as their flight was delayed. Contemplated leaving, but stuck around. They were fantastic, much better than on record.

My Morning Jacket in TBMC. Knew nothing about them, but mate was going so I headed along. Great gig. Bought a cd which I never really liked, but great live.

Dan Deacon in Crawdaddy. Was up in the balcony, looking down on the madness. Insanely good gig.

Boredoms - 77Boadrum in NYC. Was on holidays at the time, partially arranged to coincide with this gig. It was a free show, where you emailed to reserve a place. Arrived at the venue to find a 2-mile queue to get in. Organisers had cocked up, and failed to close the entries once the capacity was reached. So there were a few thousand people there, all hoping to get into a park that held a few hundred. We were going to leave to watch from the bridge above, when the missus decided to chance her old work ID (she used to work for a newspaper). She said she was over to cover the gig, we got VIP passes! And the Boredoms were awesome as always.

Joanna Newsom in Sugar Club. Just so I can tell people it was amazing and they really missed out, even though it was decent at best.

Joanna Newsom in Sugar Club. Just because I took a seat away from some shite hawk who would have went on and fucking on about how it was the best thing that ever happened on planet earth, when in reality it was barely passable as music to begin with. When did screeching like a fucking banshee become confused with singing? She looked kind of tired and a bit past it, her skin is actually really bad and she seemed rude and smelly. She also went on and on about being pro life and threatened a young lady in the front row who she said looked a "bit slutty and pregnant". Real horn killer. Also you can't see it in photos but I'm pretty sure she has a swastika tattoo on the back of her neck and I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure she has a tail.

Fixed.

Coil at Dublin City Hall
Einstuerzende Neubauten at the Palast der Republik, Berlin
Keiji Haino/Merzbow in Geneva
Stars of the Lid in Whelans and in Boston
Neil Young at multiple venues over the years
Leonard Cohen in Kilmainham
Nick Cave in Vicar St. three nights in a row
Nurse With Wound in the QEH, London
Tool multiple venues
Kraftwerk at the Olympia

Nomeansno in TBMC 1998 - I was 16 and thought "That's what I want to do when I'm in my 40s". Must work on that in the next 10 years.
Slackers in Crawdaddy - So much fun

i saw trans am when they were touring for the 1st album (98ish) and it wasn't up to much. but whatever was going on with them that last time (i think it was 2010), they were out of this world. so glad i gave them another chance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back