Comprehensive List of Bands You're Glad You Saw (1 Viewer)

sleepy

Website
www.facebook.com
Those last 2 threads about shit gigs and bands we never got around to seeing are getting kind of depressing. Are there any bands you decided to go check out on a whim that day and turned out to be amazing:

Melt Banana in Crawdaddy. Thought they were good before. Completely addicted after that.
Metallica in RDS 2006. Got a ticket on the day. They played all of Master of Puppets. Seriously one of the best gigs I was ever at

Brought a friend of mine to Death Grips a few weeks ago. She'd never heard them before. Was completely blown away by them

Not really in the spirit of the thread, but Beastie Boys at the Electric Picnic. I'd been waiting YEARS to see them, then I get to see them twice in two days? Amazing.

And, for obvious reasons, I'm glad.

Convinced my dad to accompany a 14-year old me to a Hope Collective Saturday daytime gig in Charlie's Bar so I could see Bis.

Bug officially caught, I'd learnt guitar and was in a band myself about 6 months later.

If we hadn't of been crap it'd be the Dublin equivalent of the Sex Pistols gig at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1976.

Jesus lizard in Mean fiddler. Only really knew them by name before hand, but that gig blew my tiny little mind.

Going on a whim......

Cornershop,really.

Way before Brimful of Asha and all that crap they were a pretty loud noisey bunch. They played to about 10 people in Belfast in the Penny Farthing.A bunch of us only went because we knew the person putting it on and he was worried about the turnout(and lucky we did). It was ferociously loud and the noise reminded me of Sonic Youth or something. Totally killer. Still don't care for any of the records at all though,even the early ones.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of any off hand.

Acid Mothers Temple

First time they played I was unsure,I listened to a few cd's by them and didn't think much of them but still thought it was worth going to. And then I was blown away. I've tried to see them every time they've played since.

Zen Guerrilla/Man Or Astroman. I'd never been that bothered with Man Or Astroman,and Zen Guerrilla I'd only heard a song or two by. Both bands played stormers. Zen Geurrilla made the bigger impression as I really like the records,Man Or Astroman I still don't care for the records.

Same as Pete, Beastie Boys at Electric Picnic. I had purposely not gone to see them twice before, as I had become so obsessive a fan that I thought they couldn't possibly live up to what I had envisioned in my head. I guess that belongs in the other thread...
Anyways, they were fantastic, and totally lived up to every expectation I had of them.

Also, I'm really glad i saw Neil Young n' Crazy Horse in The Point in 2001.

Anhrefn

"some welsh punk band is playing" one of my mates said. They were,that afternoon,incredible.

(The Shamen were supposed top play too,they were still very much an "indie" band at this point,but for some reason didn't. Didn't matter because they couldn't have followed Anhrefn)

Not quite in the right category but I ate a whole bag of magic mushrooms (recommended dose was half a bag) and went to see Brian Wilson in Vicar Street. I now have a fairly good idea of what the 60s were like.

Convinced my dad to accompany a 14-year old me to a Hope Collective Saturday daytime gig in Charlie's Bar so I could see Bis.

Bug officially caught, I'd learnt guitar and was in a band myself about 6 months later.

If we hadn't of been crap it'd be the Dublin equivalent of the Sex Pistols gig at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1976.

That was a great gig and a lovely sunny day. I bought Arise, Therefore LP on the way home.

That was a great gig and a lovely sunny day. I bought Arise, Therefore LP on the way home.

Jaysis, my second ever concert and you were at it. That's cool. I remember the bouncers being lovely and telling my dad it was no problem for me to come in so long as I stayed with him. I was blown away by the whole thing. I never knew such a world existed. My first gig was seeing Madness in the Point in 1995. This was something completely different.

My dad approached the Bis members after they played while they were packing up their gear to get their autographs for me. My dad is awesome.

Too many to mention, but bands I saw at just the right moment. and why

Fugazi - Went on hiatus soon after
Sonic Youth - made a few shite albums after I saw them
REM - became total shit right after I saw them.
Blur - All of 13 my favourite of their albums
Slint - I was pretty much on Mushrooms
Radiohead - In a big top, just after Kid A and before Amnesiac, it was amazing.
Lightning Bolt - Nuff said
The Ex - Singer left soon afterwards.
Massive Attack - Just before they started their downward slide.
PJ Harvey - Just her with a guitar, instead of an omnichord and a piano which I would probably find a bit Joanna Newsomey
Part Chimp - Nuff said, broke up afterwards
Yo La Tengo - in a tent at Witness perhaps ? There was less than 100 people there because Oasis or someone was on the main stage. They were absolutely brilliant.
Flaming Lips - While on mushrooms. Mushrooms became illegal soon afterwards.
Eels - Right after Souljacker, might be one of the best gigs I've ever seen.
Slayer - With Lombardo
Super Furry Animals - Right after Rings Around The World, my favourite album of theirs.
Grinderman - They played Tupelo, fucking Tupelo!!!!
Pearl Jam - Great craic, they went to the dogs after I saw them too.
Mudhoney - Simultaneously the most Homo and Hetrosexual gig experience of all time, so much sweaty man flesh.
Queens Of The Stone Age - In the Ambassador just after Songs for the Deaf, they were great. I'd imagine they're shite now.
Dalek - Amazing.
Cornelius - Amazing.
Frank Black and The Catholics - Played about 10 Pixies songs plus the best of his own stuff, it was as if I'd written his set list
I'm sure there's more.

November 23, 1989 - Me & Mick were looking forward to seeing Snuff play in McGonagles, where they were due to support some band we'd never heard. Walking past the venue that afternoon, we spotted a note sellotaped to the door saying Snuff had cancelled, so we decided not to go.

Then some bloke in a Denis The Menace jumper came out & started talking to us, saying how good the headline act was & we should go anyway... so we did.

That band was Fugazi, and that bloke was niallmc, and you can trace a direct path from that conversation to this very post, almost 25 years later.

And I've still never forgiven him for making me see The Slowest Clock.

doing a bit of practicing here for a minute... Fuck it, I was trying to embed bandcamp but it doesnt matter...

This just popped up on twitter, OMIT http://pseudoarcana.bandcamp.com/album/omit-live-medusa-13-10-2012
I'm glad I got to see him play when I was in New Zealand, he was deadly. I knew nothing about him before the gig. And I'm glad I got to see the Dead C play in a small pub in new zealand too.

Will Oldham in the Roisin Dubh a few years ago with the Cairo gang. I'm pretty sure this is the best show I've ever seen in my life. His stage presence was magnetic and his ability to project himself physically on stage has never been close too being equalled by anyone else of this ilk.

Jandek - because the mystery was retained. Somehow. Completely solo. It was quite unsettling. And there will be precious little chance of seeing him again.

Boredoms - no explanation needed

Quack, Quack - saw them twice at Skinny Wolves shows. Amazing live band and anything with Neil Turpin is guaranteed to be awesome live. (There must be more Skinny Wolves gigs from that era, although there was a fair portion of lacklustre ones.

Deerhoof - would go anytime. They simply kickass. Everything just seems so spontaneous.

Polvo at Primavera '08. One of those glorious festival moments.

Mission of Burma - pretty much my favourite band ever. They obviously love doing it.

Low on the Trust tour, Ambassador. Right time to see them before the quality dipped. Although Zak Sally was around for one more tour but Sparhawk's voice was fucked that time.

Fugazi - for the same reason as above. And I was only really starting to get into them at the time.

The Fall - well, you have to see that autocratic Mark E Smith experience at least once.

Uptown Racquet Club at Wonky. Anyone else at that?

Silver Jews in Whelans - fantastic. Only wish I'd followed them around the country that time

Kocani Orkestra in Farmleigh House - it was some sort of world music festival about 5 years ago and it was wonderful. Ireland's representative was Damien Dempsey so there was a crowd of scrotes along to see him. When he finished they bailed leaving about 20 people in a field to watch Kocani Orkestra (of those 20, at least half were from North Strand Klezmer Band). It was outdoors, it was pissing rain, and it was the best fun I think I've ever had at at gig.

Charlatans in Whelans - amazing to see them play such a small venue. Cracking show too

Pulp at EP - its amazing when a band you love so much, that you've never seen before, not only meet your expectation, but exceed it.

Jay Reatard in Whelans - cos he was great and then he was dead a few months later. That latter fact made me subsequently appreciate that show a hell of a lot more.

Sparklehorse in Whelans - as per Jay Reatard.

Deerhoof in TBMC - cos Thom Yorke was giving me the evils for checking my phone. Great show too.

Stars of the Lid in Whelans - AMAZING. JUST AMAZING.

Cry Before Dawn at EP - this one is lame but I loved this band when I was a kid. Was too young to see them live when they were around so to get to see them 2 years ago, awful as they are and all, was a big deal for me.

Thee Oh Sees - from the other month. Went to this with zero expectations and was utterly blown away by them. Incredible gig.

LCD Soundsystems final gig in Tripod - best crowd I ever remember at a gig. Can take or leave their music but that gig was great.

Belle and Sebastian at the Ambassador - I missed the hissy-fit show in the Olympia so these Ambassador gigs were the first time I saw them. They played 2 nights and I went to both. Of the 2 nights there was only 1 song in common to each night. Basically, rather than seeing the same gig twice, they played 2 completely different gigs. And both were great.

Kingsbury Manx in some place in Boston (TTs?) - there were 5 people at the gig and they were great. I missed them the only time they ever played here cos I had the flu and I was a big fan. Just happened they were playing in Boston when I was there one time so I popped along. The most bizarre gig in terms of a crowd cos most people there were just playing pool and left before the band came on. Didn't seem to phase the band at all though.

Midlake in the Village - just after Van Occupanther. They were still playing songs from their early releases. The gig was only about half-full and it was great.

Planxty in Vicar St - total heroes of mine. Never thought I'd get to see them in my lifetime so it was a big treat when they reformed for those gigs.

Jeff Mangum - he was terrible but it was great to see him and it was a lot of fun.

Midlake in the Village - just after Van Occupanther. They were still playing songs from their early releases. The gig was only about half-full and it was great.

I was at that. Spent about an hour hanging out with them afterwards. Really, really nice guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back