comic film adaptions (1 Viewer)

the guy who writes calvin and hobbes made some point once about not allowing his drawings to be used for t-shirts, lunch boxes and the like. He felt that there's a reason these characters and situations work in a certain format and if used in any other format, that would kill it. Makes sense.

I've got a problem with comics myself, but especially modern superhero comics, and especially film adaptations of them. I've not seen one that I've liked, since maybe Superman when I was a kid. What is it with putting superheroes in "everyday" situations? Like one of the Fantastic 4 going to a chipper or something. Or appearing on a talk show. It defeats the whole purpose of mythology. It's a repeated, tired ploy by the 'writers' to appeal to goddamm nerds, is what it is.

i agree

the two mediums aren't necessarily compatible/interchangable

the Viz animated cartoons are shit

Simpsons comics are shit (well ok, so is the Simpsons these days..but )

wonder if this'll be any good?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What are yis all complaining about.

How is this any different to novels being adapted for the screen?

Everyone complains that its "never as good as the book" failing to realize that film is another interpretation entirely.

Same goes for comic book adaptions.

And yes, sadly, the main demographic is children and hence a lot of dumbing down occurs.

Whenever the filmmakers take the "risk" to make an intellectually stimulating piece, Ang Lee's Hulk being a case in point is considered a flop if it doesn't make zillions and squillions of cash.

These "tentpole" movies are the studio's biggest gamble and regrettably don't take risks and are just plain shit, unless of course they are made by Christopher Nolan.

hgaar intellectually stimulating my arse, you're talking about grown men wearing capes and underpants outside leotards, and green monsters who can fly for fuck sake

this is just making me mad

Any of ye pricks who haven't seen American Splendor really should. It addresses the idea of intertextuality quite nicely. The film is based on a comic that is based on the guy's life. The film is part documentary, part dramatic adaptation of the comics. Harvey Pekar even wrote a comic about the making of the film of his earlier comics. It's one of my favourite films by a country mile.

Although not based on a comic Crumb is another film worth watching for those interested in comicbooks/comix culture.

Any of ye pricks who haven't seen American Splendor really should. It addresses the idea of intertextuality quite nicely. The film is based on a comic that is based on the guy's life. The film is part documentary, part dramatic adaptation of the comics. Harvey Pekar even wrote a comic about the making of the film of his earlier comics. It's one of my favourite films by a country mile.

Although not based on a comic Crumb is another film worth watching for those interested in comicbooks/comix culture.

i'm more into mutants or mentallers

never liked Marvel a whole lot
apart from Secret Wars in the 80's and Spidey and The Hulk when i was young

did you forget from hell? come on, that was just...you know...class...

30 days of night was a comic wasn't it? awful dross.

it had ayngel from home and away though

30_days_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

I thought that movie was painfully boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back