CLASSIC 80'S ANARCHO PUNK CD SERIES (1 Viewer)

antiwar

Hello There

My name is Sean McGhee (ex of UK Anarcho punk band Psycho Faction 1979-84) For the last year I have been working on 5 album series of classic Anarcho punk for UK independent punk label Overground Records. The first CD in the series, ‘Anti-War’ is released on February 7th 2005 featuring new, deleted and rare material from the UK Anarcho punk scene circa 1979-84. Appearing on the first release are Dirt, Zounds, Metro Youth, Flowers In The Dustbin, Kronstadt Uprising, Political Asylum, The Astronauts, Anthrax, A-Heads, The System, Sanction, Instigators, Blood Robots, Lost Cherrees, Riot/Clone, Youth In Asia, Psycho Faction, Naked, Omega Tribe, Anti-System, Faction, Rubella Ballet and the Snipers.

The following four CD’s will appear over the next year at regular intervals all released by Overground Records.

Here’s a bit of back ground on the first cd.

Anti-War’ is the first in the long awaited series of 1980’s Anarcho-Punk cds that will chronicle this integral part of the punk scene, and serve as the definitive guide to the Anarcho-Punk scene.
Compiled from recordings culled from heyday of the scene (1980-84), the bands include the leading lights of the scene (Zounds/Dirt/Omega Tribe) as well as many of the lesser known bands that were the life-blood of the scene, pro-active in arranging gigs, making fanzines, organizing benefits etc. (Psycho Faction/Political Asylum/Anti-System).

‘Anti-War’ has been lovingly compiled after many years of research and groundwork,

not least finding the bands that in most cases split before 1984! So, having listened to over 1000 recordings from vinyl, demo cassettes, unreleased studio recordings and live gigs we finally settled on 23 tracks for the first volume, 10 of which are previously unreleased.
‘Anti-War’ perfectly captures the whole ecstatic energy of the era, with its diverse mix of spiky barbs and intense diatribes all based around the ‘Anti-War’ theme.

Distribution UK Cadiz www.cadizmusic.com

Pinnacle (www.pinnacle-entertainment.co.uk)

Also available from

www.inflammablematerial.co.uk and other smaller distributors/mail order outlets

Also available via Amazon.co.uk

Further info

Hello There

My name is Sean McGhee (ex of UK Anarcho punk band Psycho Faction 1979-84) For the last year I have been working on 5 album series of classic Anarcho punk for UK independent punk label Overground Records. The first CD in the series, ‘Anti-War’ is released on February 7th 2005 featuring new, deleted and rare material from the UK Anarcho punk scene circa 1979-84. Appearing on the first release are Dirt, Zounds, Metro Youth, Flowers In The Dustbin, Kronstadt Uprising, Political Asylum, The Astronauts, Anthrax, A-Heads, The System, Sanction, Instigators, Blood Robots, Lost Cherrees, Riot/Clone, Youth In Asia, Psycho Faction, Naked, Omega Tribe, Anti-System, Faction, Rubella Ballet and the Snipers.

The following four CD’s will appear over the next year at regular intervals all released by Overground Records.

Here’s a bit of back ground on the first cd.

Anti-War’ is the first in the long awaited series of 1980’s Anarcho-Punk cds that will chronicle this integral part of the punk scene, and serve as the definitive guide to the Anarcho-Punk scene.
Compiled from recordings culled from heyday of the scene (1980-84), the bands include the leading lights of the scene (Zounds/Dirt/Omega Tribe) as well as many of the lesser known bands that were the life-blood of the scene, pro-active in arranging gigs, making fanzines, organizing benefits etc. (Psycho Faction/Political Asylum/Anti-System).

‘Anti-War’ has been lovingly compiled after many years of research and groundwork,

not least finding the bands that in most cases split before 1984! So, having listened to over 1000 recordings from vinyl, demo cassettes, unreleased studio recordings and live gigs we finally settled on 23 tracks for the first volume, 10 of which are previously unreleased.
‘Anti-War’ perfectly captures the whole ecstatic energy of the era, with its diverse mix of spiky barbs and intense diatribes all based around the ‘Anti-War’ theme.

Distribution UK Cadiz www.cadizmusic.com

Pinnacle (www.pinnacle-entertainment.co.uk)

Also available from

www.inflammablematerial.co.uk and other smaller distributors/mail order outlets

Also available via Amazon.co.uk

Further info

available now in this rare collectors edition..

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!

Order now by credit card and you will receive this set of genuine stainless steel steak knives absolutely free.

B00004WYJ9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I had lots more to add in a second email but the board shut down for half an hour. Was going to say i had Irish bands Toxic Waste and Stalag 17 on future comps, and as part of the Irish diaspora would like to post here. And to the wit who attempted to take the piss, they are not a jokey, badly produced, punk 'best of' but a carefully put together series that has taken me hundreds of hours of research and time ploughing through nearly 1000 recordings, and old zines, etc.
I'm really quite proud of the first release so don't take the piss until you know the facts.
Sean

Best of luck with this - it sounds like a brilliant collection
antiwar said:
I had lots more to add in a second email but the board shut down for half an hour. Was going to say i had Irish bands Toxic Waste and Stalag 17 on future comps, and as part of the Irish diaspora would like to post here. And to the wit who attempted to take the piss, they are not a jokey, badly produced, punk 'best of' but a carefully put together series that has taken me hundreds of hours of research and time ploughing through nearly 1000 recordings, and old zines, etc.
I'm really quite proud of the first release so don't take the piss until you know the facts.
Sean

Cheers for the positive reply. Really appreciated. The first cd has had superb reviews in MRR, Amp, Rock Sound, Plan B, Big Cheese, Terroriser, Record Collector and more and all those who've got a copy and have been in touch are greatly impressed. Anyone who has or gets a copy please let me know your comments.
Sean

Eoddy Gorilla said:
So..the knives dont come free then?..fuck dah..

Jasus Eddy, it's always about the bloody knives with you isn't it?!

On another note, g'luck with the comp..

Thanks for the positive noises. The first is out now and the second Anti-State in May with a load more to follow.

Anyone actually got a copy of Anti War cd yet?? Next one Anti-State is out in June with tracks from BLYTH POWER/A TOUCH OF HYSTERIA/URBAN DECAY/ THE MOB/ FLUX OF PINK INDIANS/AMEBIX/SUBHUMANS/FAMOUS IMPOSTERS/ POISON GIRLS/DECADENT FEWTOXIC WASTE/
TOXIK EPHEX/DISRUPTORS/DECADENCE WITHIN/NO DEFENCES/CHUMBAWAMBA/CIVILISED SOCIETY/SINYX/ASSASSINS/
POLEMIC/ERATICS/

Sean

Here are some superb reviews of the first in the cd series of Abarcho punk compilations, Anti-War. Anyone got a copy yet and could tell me what they think???
Sean

FROM ORGAN ONLINE ZINE 108

ALBUM OF THE WEEK 2
ANTI-WAR: ANARCHO PUNK COMPILATION VOL 1 – Various Artists (Overground) Does just what it says on the tin, 23 slices of classic 80’s DIY anarcho punk, beautiful shouty rantalong angry agitating positively charged PROPER punk rock. The first in a series of lovingly compiled CDs, put together by a man called Sean McGee, a man who was there and knows – he got it right. Ah it does the heart and soul good to hear it (and where are the new anarcho punk bands anyway?). Beautifully raw and bursting with spiky barbed attitude and intense pro-active energy and indeed laced with different strands of defiant diverse creative X factor. There was art and identity to be found in that glorious scene, it wasn’t all just faceless crusty thrashing noise. 23 bands (the perfect number), 64 minutes and its been put together so well that the album works perfectly. The subject is anti war, 23 anti war songs or rants or diatribes or cries or Crass inspired pieces of D.I.Y beauty – DIRT, ZOUNDS, ANTHRAX (the UK band who were even better than the US Mosh crew), POLITCAL ASYLUM, OMEGA TRIBE, RUBELLA BALLET, FLOWERS IN THE DUSTBIN, INSTIGATORS and a whole lot more (what would the collective noun be for a load of an anarcho punk bands? A scum of bands? Hey, if you were there, you’ll love the energy and the vibe and you’ll wonder just a little where it all went and who let the corporations and marketing departments take it all over, if you were there then this is the perfect collection. If you weren’t then grab yourself a history lesson, a real cultural history lesson, real folk music - music of the people for the people, proper punk rock. Excellent sleeve notes and spot on artwork and every track a vital one – the whole ecstatic era of 1980-84 documented just right - inspiring stuff…. Can’t wait for vol 2. www.overgroundrecords.co.uk

From AMP magazine (USA)
VARIOUS ARTISTS
"Anti-War:Anarcho-Punk Compilation Vol 1" CD
The first of three proposed CDs, this is a wonderful testament to, and document of, the early 80s UK anarcho-punk scene. Spawned / inspired by CRASS, for sure, the early 80s saw 100s of bands, in a variety of genres and styles within the broad punk church taking up that mantle, and running with it. Of the 23 tracks, many of them never made it past the demo-tapes of the DIY underground, and many are released here for the first time. A real cross-section of who was doing it then. You'll find classics from the likes of DIRT, ZOUNDS, METRO YOUTH, the ASTRONAUTS, ANTHRAX, A-HEADS, SYSTEM, INSTIGATORS, LOST CHEREES, RIOT / CLONE, YOUTH IN ASIA, NAKED, OMEGA TRIBE, ANTI-SYSTEM, FACTION, BLOOD ROBOTS and more. The big booklet contains photos and info on / by all the bands. An essential purchase, and musically, a real fucking treasure. (RK)
(Overground Records, PO Box 1NW, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE99 1NW, UK)

From PUNK INFORMATION DIRECTORY (USA)
Various Artists
"Anti-War (Anarcho-Punk Comp Vol. 1)” CD (Overground)

I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I ultimately did. Most of the bands I hadn't really heard or even heard of. I guess the anarcho-punk scene, with the exception of Crass, was one which I kind of missed out on over the years. I really did miss out because this is some awesome stuff. I was surprised and intrigued by the number of different styles that these bands brought to this label called anarcho-punk. What they all do have going for themselves is a political bent that promotes among other things, peace and animal rights. These songs could easily have been written in protest of the political climate as it exists today with the Bush/Blair mentality. Another thing that all the songs have is a raw musicality that touches that nerve deep inside of me that says punk should be about passion and not perfect musical proficiency. There's 23 tracks on this excellent comp and it clocks in at over an hour so you get your money's worth and then some. Overgound scores again and I look forward to future volumes in the series. The official release date is February 7, 2005 so save your money and get it next month.

--Willy Aadnoy (1/2/05)

I've heard tracks by a lot if not most of the bands that released records on crass, mortarhate, bluurg etc. most of these bands have little originality being derivitive of crass, subhumans etc. including bands on this compilation.there was loads of great DIY punk music at this time and this far from being the best representation of it. without backing from Southern studios and Jungle distribution (mortarhate) many of these labels would not have existed. not always DIY then. but i do like some of these bands peni, crucifix, part one , MDC.... G's artwork was the important thing about crass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back