Civilisation returns to Iraq (1 Viewer)

I'm amazed people didn't realise the prisoner torture has been happening all along. Sure no-one could ever prove it, but I for one reckon that this stuff was almost certainly happening in Afghanistan too. I mean, all these gung-ho American soldiers freshly recruited after September 11, there must have been plenty of instances of them beating the shit out of people in Afghanistan too. After all they would have had more reason to hate the Afghan people than the Iraqi people. If theres ever a proper investigation into this stuff, I'm sure they'll find the same things were happening in Afghanistan, and I'm sure they'll find that British soldiers were doing it too, albeit probably on a much smaller scale.

Cormcolash said:
I'm amazed people didn't realise the prisoner torture has been happening all along. Sure no-one could ever prove it, but I for one reckon that this stuff was almost certainly happening in Afghanistan too. I mean, all these gung-ho American soldiers freshly recruited after September 11, there must have been plenty of instances of them beating the shit out of people in Afghanistan too. After all they would have had more reason to hate the Afghan people than the Iraqi people. If theres ever a proper investigation into this stuff, I'm sure they'll find the same things were happening in Afghanistan, and I'm sure they'll find that British soldiers were doing it too, albeit probably on a much smaller scale.
whats so surprising to me is that this even comes as a surprise to people at all. This type of abuse is part of war, just like rape looting pillaging etc, and should be expected to occur; those who say "our soldiers are above all that" are delusional. Sure, armies of "civilized" states try to curtail it, but find me a war where this sort of thing doesnt happen. Its part of it. Like Friendly Fire and Civilian Deaths. You put humans in positions of power and no accountability, such as occurs in a war time environment or occupation, of course its going to happen. If you dont want this to happen, dont use the military.

Ostensibly though wars are fought for reasons of national survival or last resort, and as such people are willing to stomach the mistreatment of prisoners or see it as unimportant in view of other, much more horrific things. But in stupid and pointless wars like we've seen in the last decade, this sort of thing is harder to deal with because its so unnecessary. If the US army was defending California from a chinese amphibious landing or something i think people would be less inclined to condemn the mistreatment of prisoners since it would be a matter of national survival or what have you.

but when The Monkey smirks and says he's bringing peace and freedom and democracy (and then giving cheney and his halliburton cronies a secret handshake), there is a higher standard to be held accountable to.

Which makes it all the more ironic that they'd use the freakin' military to do it. Like that bumpersticker "fighting for peace if like fucking for virginity".

The detainee, whose badly bruised corpse was in a body bag packed with ice, died in the prison's showers while being interrogated by the CIA or other civilian agents

this is the bit that gets me..other civilian agents who in the name of fuck are these pricks? when did war get so easy to deflect the blame of actions of a nations gov.?the american army will literally get away with murder because of this..who employed these fuckers? are there not enough military to go around without having to employ dodgy civilians into the mix? I read yesterday that one of the M.P's who pleaded guilty to the abuse (and yet to be proven alleged murder) of detainees got 1 year! fucking crazy! by their logic (and i dont agree with it) the grter good is achieved by bombing market with women and children in them and wedding parties where the same happens..yet for the grter good it would be an idea to make an example to the arab world..make sure justice is seen to be done ..but oh no..slap on wrist mr marine..you been naughty in rag head land but fuck it we forgive you really because their lives,dignity are not worth as much as ours.the whole thing makes me sick. I dont think I'll be posting again about Iraq.Not until there is some kind of real progress.I have a feeling this thing is gonna go round in circles for years..it may even take on shades of northern ireland in the seventies and I'm fucked if i'm commenting on this until something major happens.It's like..more civilans dead ..more innocents killed..blah blah car bomb.I think the plan is that if the current US admin keep saying everything is alright and progress is being made (that and the supression of the media) the eventually people will start to swallow it.God I hate george bush..I've said it before and so have lots of people here..but for fucks sake! where is everyone in america!!I know yer out there! get rid of this loony! I grew up in the shade of Regan and was terrified for my early years about "the bomb" because of him.Now in adult life another american president has me terrified.All he talks about is america making the world safe and I have never been anything but afraid of america.Dont get me wrong Im talking about governments here not people.Some of my best friends are from texas etc.. :D

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- As hundreds of detainees were released from Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad, a senior U.S. official Friday confirmed that a previously undisclosed U.S. military interrogation facility at or near Baghdad International Airport does indeed exist. The official said the site was run in accordance with the Geneva Conventions and all detainees were afforded their rights under that international document.

"That's not to say somebody didn't get their head dunked in the water," he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/21/iraq.main/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back