Church and state. (1 Viewer)

Corey

Your feelings on the catholic church in ireland over the last 40 years, specifically their attitudes to the changes that have taken place within the social,personal and professional elements of our society; and also, if it's not too much, your 'feelings' on how they're tackling their responsibilites re abuse cases.

For research purposes of course.

Thanking you all graciously in advance.

istockphoto_1047367_noisy_neighbours.jpg

I SAID:Your fucking feelings on the catholic church in ireland over the last 40 years, specifically their attitudes to the cunting changes that have taken place within the social,personal and professional elements of our society; and also, if it's not too much, your 'feelings' on how they're tackling their bloody responsibilites re the fucking abuse cases.

THANK YOU SHITEPIPE.

Over the centuries, the Catholic Church has encountered criticisms for numerous reasons. Pope John Paul II acknowledged publicly that certain members (including leadership) of the Catholic Church have sometimes been involved in questionable activities, and asked God to forgive the sins of its members, both in action and omission.
And at the same time, it has been seen by many people of different religions as a great force for good, as an "expert in humanity" and even as a model of management being seen by them as the oldest and biggest existing institution in the world. John Paul II was hailed upon his death as an outstanding world leader esteemed as having helped the world progress towards moral regeneration.
The number of criticisms and persecutions it has received through the centuries and his reading of sacred scripture inspired John Paul II to suggest that the term sign of contradiction is a "distinctive definition of Christ and of his Church."

Your feelings on the catholic church in ireland over the last 40 years, specifically their attitudes to the changes that have taken place within the social,personal and professional elements of our society; and also, if it's not too much, your 'feelings' on how they're tackling their responsibilites re abuse cases.

For research purposes of course.

Thanking you all graciously in advance.
"
"let he who is without sin.....
If you dont forgive them you go to hell- sorry its just the way it is

Praying%20Israelite.jpg

maaaaaaaaaaadonna!
corey.
you a got off on a 'eavy sujeto this morning!

Your feelings on the catholic church in ireland over the last 40 years, specifically their attitudes to the changes that have taken place within the social,personal and professional elements of our society;

I think like any big institution the church with its several million members and numerous hierarchical systems of management required to oversee, agree, distribute and implement even the smallest changes or decisions regarding the future direction of the catholic faith it is a behemoth that moves at less than a snails pace. I supose the nearest i could get to describing my thinking on their arcane and somewhat antiquated/outdated methods would be the scene in lord of the rings where the tree ents are debating what to do, having only achieved introductions after several hours.

so i no longer see it as, in its current form it is no longer a valid institution for representing what i feel is the direction the catholic faith should go in and is incapable of representing or reacting in time to the decisions made at grass roots level, the strongest part of the church, whom are much more connected and well travelled population. society i feel has left them behind. personally i have little or no time for their outdated opinions and any positive change that comes, comes too late (eg. priests in africa are openly disregarding church law by preaching the necessary use of contraception as one method to help curb the pandemic of aids yet the church only now will begin to debate its merits where upon til now it has been stonewall "no"). i do however feel at a professional level they are at the forefront of big business, commerce , government and policy change in many countries.

and also, if it's not too much, your 'feelings' on how they're tackling their responsibilites re abuse cases.

Blinkered with a smattering of....

evil.jpg

it took them a while to nab the big boys at enron but when we consider that neither bush nor his senior staff may never be charged for their heinous actions a bigger institution like the church will escape also. Ever heard of impeaching a pope?

Your feelings on the catholic church in ireland over the last 40 years,

htill.jpg

specifically their attitudes to the changes that have taken place within the social,personal and professional elements of our society
htill.jpg

and also, if it's not too much, your 'feelings' on how they're tackling their responsibilites re abuse cases.

htill.jpg

anyone remember the mass where the priest asks everyone to "reject satan and his nasty work" or some shite like that. everyone replies "I Do". there was a few more i think but the satan one stands out.what a load of wallop. does that still go on? really funny when you think about it.a big group of people all agreeing to reject satan and his work...seriously!!!

dont think there was a sit on the fence option. i.e "i don't, satans grand like".

just on the abuse thing:

There's an interesting piece in a certain by book by certain author i'm always bangin' on about, that relates the tale of a young girl who had a run in with a
peadopriest, she remembered the experience as being a 'yucky fumble' , whereas she remembers the feeling of terror she felt at the thought of her friends burning in hell because they didn't share her religion.

its seems like the mental abuse by the church was worse for her than the physical abuse.

Obviously there are far worse cases of physical abuse, but is anyone going
to call them to task over the mental scaring they foisted on people?

The fact that films like the omen and the exorcist have any capacity to scare us at all, i think, must mean some of the crazy religious ideas have left an imprint on our brains.

Horror movies are cool so maybe people would prefer to sue them for
the good ol catholic 'sex guilt' !bing $$$$$$$$$

in summary:
religious indoctrination of children = physcological abuse

in summary:
religious indoctrination of children = physcological abuse

basically- indoctrination of children in any belief system which is non provable (of which religion is only a subset, but it could also extend to questions of manners, musical taste, class etc) could be categorised as psychological abuse

so, which belief system is 'the right one'?

basically- indoctrination of children in any belief system which is non provable (of which religion is only a subset, but it could also extend to questions of manners, musical taste, class etc) could be categorised as psychological abuse

i should learn to spell psychological
good point on the musical tastes etc,

Just re. parents making their children wear religious garb/labelling them as a certain type of religion... I think it's a bit 'western middle class educated atheist/agnosto-centric' (????) to deny a person the right to educate their child according to their own religion, which often includes ceremonies, dress codes and ways of life. I mean, if a parent really believes that to do otherwise would be damaging to their child's soul or whatever (I'm not religious, I don't really know the sentiment), surely they should be allowed to act as they see appropriate to their childs spiritual well-being. Fair enough, banning something like female circumcision- it's brutal, barbaric, dangerous and often fatal, but wearing a cloak? I would see the solution lying in better cultural education and religious education in schools, exploring and understanding difference instead of pretending it isn't there.

I'd agree with Buzzo's last sentence here, educate them about different belief systems. But don't tell them what to believe.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Close but no martini. Think it's ian flemming.

anyone remember the mass where the priest asks everyone to "reject satan and his nasty work" or some shite like that. everyone replies "I Do". there was a few more i think but the satan one stands out.what a load of wallop. does that still go on? really funny when you think about it.a big group of people all agreeing to reject satan and his work...seriously!!!

dont think there was a sit on the fence option. i.e "i don't, satans grand like".

That's the baptismal rite. You really gotta bite your lip for that one. The desire to say somthing more 'contemporary' is staggering.

I'd agree with Buzzo's last sentence here, educate them about different belief systems. But don't tell them what to believe.

You have to make a choice. There's no point in bringing the child up to be areligious but sending them to a school where most of the children are making their communion at age 7 and the kid is then ostracised, or at least, feels that way. That could also be considered psychological abuse by imposing your own beliefs (or more accurately, non-beliefs) on them.

But, of course, it's not abuse. Parents have to have the right to bring their children up in the moral/spiritual manner they feel is right (even if it is wrong). Eventually, the child can make their own mind up.

The skill is to raise them to have that ability. Not live in fear of burning in hell, or whatever.

Giving them all the gen on different religions is grand if they're old enough to comprehend. But in most cases, it would just confuse them and fuck them up even more.

Catholic people are okay.

The Catholic church are cunts.

That nazi pic is brilliant (though out of context, I'm sure).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back