Chie Mukai - japanese music in Dublin & Cork (1 Viewer)

Keeror

Since 2000
The Whispering Gallery & SAFE present:

CHIE MUKAI - kokyu, voice, piano, percussion

COBBLESTONE, Dublin, Wednesday November 7th 2001
+ Judith Ring – electro-acoustics
Adm. £7 Doors 8.30pm

TRISKEL, Cork, Thursday November 8th 2001
+ Safe – noise music
Adm. £6 Doors 8.30pm

Playing the ancient two-stringed oriental fiddle called the kokyu, Chie Mukai creates soothing, gently psychedelic, drone music. This she augments with percussion crashes and wordless singing. It is as much a product of 20th century minimalism as traditional eastern forms.
Active in music since the mid-70s, Chie is part of the same Tokyo scene that has spawned acts such as Keiji Haino and Maher Shalal Hash Baz. She is also leader of the band Ché-SHIZU.
“Sumptuous late-night improv, a fine goose-feather pillow for addled minds everywhere”
(Forced Exposure, USA)

Dubliner Judith Ring is a prize winning composer recently turned performer, whose music has been featured at EXPO 2000 in Hannover. Utilising environmental, acoustic and electronic sounds, her music creates a wonderful illusion of space and depth, wrapping the audience in a warm, reviving, bath of sound.

SAFE is the noise sound of the Leeside, involving members of such Cork curiosities as Chokchai 3K Battery and PKD (Philip K. Dick).

Whispering Gallery Contact: www.whisperinggallery.com ; [email protected]

No, different person, same instrument.

I thought the busker on Grafton St. was a man though.

cobblestone is in smithfield, pretty much opposite the far end of the big placey with the viewing tower

hey! if you improv kids can manage to pull you heads outta your holes for long enough, you might even go!!!

don't forget, if she was irish - we'd say she's shit! god bless looking through brown eyes.

pricks. all of yous. pricks!

The lady on Grafton St is bananas...she stood dancing to the "Bridget Jones" soundtrack for a whole day, at least 5 hours, moving from different parts of the street to the next. She seemed happy enough though.

Osimono (07 Nov, 2001 04:59 p.m.):
She seemed happy enough though.

Well that's the main thing.

Mind you, "he seems happy enough" is what Ed Gein's neighbours said about him at the time.

Mind you, THEY were wrong: he was tormented and driven by an insatiable bloodlust. He also made stuff out of people's skin.

Do you reckon your one on Grafton Street owns her own skin?

If so, she can hardly be very happy.

I read in today in yesterday's Herald that a woman in Australia recently stabbed her husband to death, then skinned him, hung him up on a meat hook in the living room and cut a few steaks form his arse. These she served with vegetables to her children.

Unsurprisingly, the judge presiding over her case said he thought it best if she never be released from prison ever.

Fake Working Class: who are you? I'm not sure who you're trying to slag off. i hope it's not me. I'm very sensitive.

If Chie were Irish I would still think her very talented and charming, as I do many of our homegrown improv talents. In fact her show was good enough on any terms to convince even the initially sceptical staff at the Cobblestone, who had been a little perturbed by all this avant-garde stuff being foisted upon them.

Chie's set wasn't entirley improv either - she ended with two rather nice piano ballads, for which she had scores.

It is a shame more people didn't attend. In Cork last night more than twice as many showed up, and by all accounts were whooping and hollering with delight. Cobblestone is also a really nice venue, very atmospheric, with a good sound and good beer.

Nice one. I actually spoke to the booking manager of Tthe Cobblestone, Paul Lee, on the phone while the gig was in progress, and indeed "skeptical" was the word I'd use. Good to hear he came out in favour finally. After all, The Cobblestone is one of the great untapped resources for Dublin music although, it has to be asid, not for very loud bands. (We had some complaints from the trad musicians downstairs when we played there.)

If you can deal with that restriction, I highly recommend playing there. Paul Lee is a genuine lover of music, even if his tastes do not generally stretch to avant-garde or experimental stuff. That place should be host to a lot more way out stuff than it currently is. Bring it on, I say. The vibes are good, the MCD factor is low - what more do you bastards want?

(Sorry.)

By the way, I have to say I find that Australian judge's remarks deeply distasteful. It makes my skin crawl when a person entrusted with the administration of justice takes on the role of psychiatric and moral guardian.

A person was murdered: that should have been the extent of the punishable crime. Would it have made a huge difference whether someone ate him or covered him with muck afterwards? The man is dead, he hardly gives a flying fuck one way or the other.

Keeror (09 Nov, 2001 07:22 p.m.):
I read in today in yesterday's Herald that a woman in Australia recently stabbed her husband to death, then skinned him, hung him up on a meat hook in the living room and cut a few steaks form his arse. These she served with vegetables to her children.

Unsurprisingly, the judge presiding over her case said he thought it best if she never be released from prison ever.

Fake Working Class: who are you? I'm not sure who you're trying to slag off. i hope it's not me. I'm very sensitive.

If Chie were Irish I would still think her very talented and charming, as I do many of our homegrown improv talents. In fact her show was good enough on any terms to convince even the initially sceptical staff at the Cobblestone, who had been a little perturbed by all this avant-garde stuff being foisted upon them.

Chie's set wasn't entirley improv either - she ended with two rather nice piano ballads, for which she had scores.

It is a shame more people didn't attend. In Cork last night more than twice as many showed up, and by all accounts were whooping and hollering with delight. Cobblestone is also a really nice venue, very atmospheric, with a good sound and good beer.

Keeror (09 Nov, 2001 07:22 p.m.):Fake Working Class: who are you? I'm not sure who you're trying to slag off. i hope it's not me. I'm very sensitive.

no, not anymore. i'm good now. last week - yes! with gusto! but not any more. nay!

wasn't aimed at you. though i DO think when anyone here tries summat "different" they do tend to get slagged off (by me et al) whereas if they was ford'in, they are deadly - automatic!

more/ANY advertising might help.

poster the fuck out of these things and post like kerrazzee to get it through to rims like me.
though the only report i heard was that it was utter utter shite, so i'm glad i missed this one.

still......

Sorry, Just a note - It was actually ...records (dotdotdot records) who put the Chie Mukai gig on in Cork.
Safe, the group, did the support.
Safe also promote gigs as well!
Very confusing. But true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back