Charity Shop Records today (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter ron
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 6

ron

'Blue Note' LP sampler; 'If I Was Your Girlfriend' 7"; 'Chipmunk Punk' (Featuring Simon, Theodore and Alvin)

Came across a 12" by The Flirts Featuring Full Force (O Records): does it ring any bells? Early hip hop?

Also a Neil Young Live In Berlin ('82) laser video disc (lp size). The format confused me - American maybe? Anyway of playing it?

Typical conversations to ber heard: 'I do some plane spotting at Luton Airport; I can listen to the pilots on my radio'. Auld ones and odd balls galore.

Any charity shop tales? Purchases etc

I haven't had too much luck recently. I've never heard the Flirts but I'd like to get into some Bobby O stuff. I got I:Cube record for a euro on Saturday. A few months ago I got loads of Tod Terry stuff for €0.50 a pop. My best ever purchase was Al Nayish (The Soul) by Hashim for 0.50. A few weeks ago I got a corker of a Kerri Chandler record for a euro. Trawling charity shops is my new hobby. It can be soul destroying sometimes but when you find something good it becomes worthwhile.

where you get these, man?
uk?

3 recent ones that rule:
jap pressing of sadistic mika band 2nd album.
mark beer lp on rough trade
john foxx - metamatic

where are the charity shops with stuff for 0.50-2 euros? seems like every place i go the stuff is way overpriced, like all lp's 9 euro or similar...

what's the turn over of records in a charity shop? anyone ever work in one?
i'm convinced that they got big boxes in the back...probably not though

oh yeah this:
stryper.jpg

Alvin: lead guitar and vocals
Simon: bass and vocals
Theodore: drums and vocals

Oxfam is one of the worst for overcharging

they had a pile of ratty dogeared "Best of 2000ad" collections for €6:00 each!!!! they were probably worth about a euro for the lot.

The assholes in these shops see things like comics and think " collectors item"

and a record; "hmm a vinyl- collectors will pay good money for this rarity"

all that this results in is that this stuff stays on the shelf until it eventually gets thrown in a land fill

annoying

and smelly

GORILLAMUNCH said:
where you get these, man?
uk?

Bedford. Please avoid and people do though that's probably why you can pick up good bits and pieces.

johnnystress said:
Oxfam is one of the worst for overcharging

they had a pile of ratty dogeared "Best of 2000ad" collections for €6:00 each!!!! they were probably worth about a euro for the lot.

The assholes in these shops see things like comics and think " collectors item"

and a record; "hmm a vinyl- collectors will pay good money for this rarity"

all that this results in is that this stuff stays on the shelf until it eventually gets thrown in a land fill

annoying

and smelly

some bitch tried to charge me 2 euro for an unsleeved scratched up copy of some roy wood song...jeah right

personally i think due to the popularity of vinyl in oxfams, they probably started to hire people with a bit of knowledge of the aul popular music.
i think theyd get in a loada records.. he/she bags all the ones he recognizes for her/himself.. then puts silly prices on the ones that he/she doesnt know...
then from time to time a beauty or two will slip through the system and make it to the shelves.

too much time on my hands.

have seriously bought some crap in my time but have found some great Italo stuff for 1-2euro. But the best thing i got was the first Liliput LP for 1 euro, was chuffed as i'd been out bid on ebay 2 days previous for the exact same record and it went for 60.
Oxfam on Francis Street and Parliment Street can be good.

A while back I got 'If Its Magic' on 7" by Stevie W; 'The Rose of Castlerea' by Brendan Shine.

This maverick midlander along with Larry Cunningham were touchstones for the Deserted people when growwing up. MP3's on their website.

i got 2 garry glitter 7" singles in Enable Ireland a few years ago for 50c each. was hilarious, then it transpired he's a Paedo so i reckon my purchases will increase in value or get me sent to the slammer

We used go 'tat' shopping in Liverpool quite a bit some years back. They'd an A1 selection of charity shops dotted about the city and suburbs, particularly hot on those skin head and biker books which were churned out in the seventies. I've a fair few of those, but my best book buy was a signed first press copy of 'Timeless Flight' by Johnny Rogan, dedicated to Spencer Leigh, for 50p. Me mate J bought a great line in seventies coffee table titillation with titles like 'Panties', from Oxfam Allerton. Music wise it was hit and miss. Usually they were swamped with Stereo Effects albums, of which I have a couple. But I did get an original vinyl press 'Jailbreak' and 'Live and Dangerous' for 50p each, and some nice Walt Disney compilation albums. The clothes were pretty natty too. I still have a loverly late sixties early seventies brown chord Dannimac which I bought for £3, complete with original blimhole in the Oxfam on Bold Street.

which Raven album is it? Mostly good stuff from Raven.

I was at a real life british car boot sale in Bodmin las week. Got Bowie, Kate Bush ad Neil Young LPs for £2 each. All perfect too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back