Champions League 2012-2013 thread (1 Viewer)

I don't see this as being the end of an era. People were saying that only last month when they lost to Milan and look what happened. There's no doubt that the spine of the squad needs revamping. Valdes, Puyol, Xavi etc could do with some competition for places. But the other players, messi, iniesta, pedro, pique, alba are top class. A couple of youngsters coming through and a few decent signings will keep them at the highest level. I suppose a lot comes down to how Tito manages the change.

I don't see this as being the end of an era. People were saying that only last month when they lost to Milan and look what happened. There's no doubt that the spine of the squad needs revamping. Valdes, Puyol, Xavi etc could do with some competition for places. But the other players, messi, iniesta, pedro, pique, alba are top class. A couple of youngsters coming through and a few decent signings will keep them at the highest level. I suppose a lot comes down to how Tito manages the change.

Another TLDR coming up here.

To be fair people were saying that due to the manor in which they lost in Milan not just the result. They also lose quite regularly to Real now so lets not forget that either. In the 2nd leg against Milan at the Nou Camp they were excellent, sure, but Messi was offside for his first goal and Nyang should have scored. More recently PSG should have beaten them twice, and would have if Lavezzi understood how to stay onside. That adds up. No matter what happens at the Nou Camp this time.

I haven't been a huge fan of their style of play for the past few years I've never made any secret of that, but I do have to admit that they deserved to be where they were. They were brilliant. The best analogy I can come up with for Barca is the same one Zidane used when describing the selling of Makalele

"Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?"

Barca were relentless in signing Fabregas and play him out of position, Without Villa they can't stretch the opposition enough to make space for Ineasta and Messi for all his pace Sanchez refuses to lead the line and drops deeper for no good reason. They haven't replaced Toure, Puyol is done, Masch is not a good centre half, Pique has always flattered to deceive. Reals 2nd XI would absolutely destroy Barcas (and most sides to be fair). But by far the biggest problem for them is that everyone with two eyes can see these flaws.

I think they'll go out during the summer and buy another big name striker to replace Villa if they really pay attention to what they need they'll get an out and out on the shoulder of the last man style striker, preferably with a bit of height. Someone like Lliorente, Gomez, Manzukic or Lewandowski. They probably won't but they should. They won't go out and get 2 big filthy Italian style centre halves, They probably won't but they should.

It's nothing to do with their style of football either, all the players I've mentioned still play football the Barcelona way, Italian centre halves are tough yeah, but they pass it, it's not like suggesting they go out and sign Robert fucking Huth. They've invented something great and in doing so invented this mythical creature the "Barcelona player" apparently they're born not made and that's fine I respect that. But if they are born into Barca, then, sorry but you only get a side like this every 20 years or so, if you're incredibly lucky. (look at Irelands under 18s and 16s European championship winning side for example) If they have this production line then where are the new Xavis and Ineastas we were promised last year ? or the year before ? Tello ? Bartra ? Neither of them are the complete "Barcelona player" are they ? So what's up with this mythical production line ? If it's not right you have to go out and buy players who you can mould into the type of player you want. Pep could do that, he had strength in depth but now they need ready mades and there simply isn't a ready made Xavi or Puyol out there.

So Bonnucci for example he's just not a "Barca player" why not ? he passes it well and he defends well why can't he play for Barca ? If I was a Barca supporter about to face a corner against Bayern I'd rather have him there instead of Mascerano.

I don't think it's the end of an era because they lost some matches. They won La Liga at a canter and they still have some of the best players in football. I think it could be the end of an era because they refuse to evolve. I mean I understand why. I loved it when they invented Tiki Taka but they can't expect it to work forever and Xavi, Ineasta Messi, Busquets must play about 70-80 games a season it's bordering on masochism at this stage.

I think they'll go out during the summer and buy another big name striker to replace Villa if they really pay attention to what they need they'll get an out and out on the shoulder of the last man style striker, preferably with a bit of height. Someone like Lliorente, Gomez, Manzukic or Lewandowski. They probably won't but they should. They won't go out and get 2 big filthy Italian style centre halves, They probably won't but they should.

I bet they'll end up spunking a load of money on Neymar or someone like that who won't stretch the pitch or play off the shoulder. If you look at who they had starting off the left in the past (and that's really a big factor when it comes to who they buy, the ability to play from there, if you think that they won't move Messi) up till now it's been Henry and Villa, who were both probably at one point the best strikers in the world (Henry before he went there admittedly), it's hard to think of top quality strikers who can start from there. I always liked Rossi at Villareal but he'd been injured for about 20 months.

I bet they'll end up spunking a load of money on Neymar or someone like that who won't stretch the pitch or play off the shoulder. If you look at who they had starting off the left in the past (and that's really a big factor when it comes to who they buy, the ability to play from there, if you think that they won't move Messi) up till now it's been Henry and Villa, who were both probably at one point the best strikers in the world (Henry before he went there admittedly), it's hard to think of top quality strikers who can start from there. I always liked Rossi at Villareal but he'd been injured for about 20 months.

Eto,o then Ibra, then Henry, then Villa - that's some amount of talent they've had up top. It's so weird to me that people seem to think Messi just rampaged everyone for the last 5 years on his own.

Rossi was top notch alright, it's a shame what happened to him.

I'd be surprised if they can afford a "big" signing. They need a striker, a goal keeper and a centre half (or 2 actually). I'd imagine they'll have to demand a fortune for Villa and Valdez to finance their replacements which begs the question who can actually afford them ? They could swap him for Suarez I suppose but Suarez isn't an out and out striker either, they'd be better off with Sturridge.

Ju
What'd he say?

That drag back for the hat trick goal, IT moved, you know what I mean.
Just his usual anti-german bollox. Can't remember any one comment being anything particularly bad but just his attitude that it'll be a horrible moment for England if another German side wins a championship on the "hallowed" turf of Wembley. The usual pig headed ignorant shite he's renowned for.

They bandied about a conspiracy that Germany get a month off at christmas and that's why they can compete at this point of the season. He's probably right they only play one cup competition and there's two less teams in the bundesliga.

Lewandowski has signed for Bayern too aparently.

Still back on topic. Last night and tonight were the two most complete performances I've ever seen. I thought Barcas performance against Man United in the final a few years ago was the closest to total football I'd ever seen. These were as good.

Still back on topic. Last night and tonight were the two most complete performances I've ever seen. I thought Barcas performance against Man United in the final a few years ago was the closest to total football I'd ever seen. These were as good.

Tonight was great fun, exilherating stuff really. Last night was good too but Borussia have such a likeable air to them that I'm glad for them whereas last night I was very impressed with Bayern but I've no affection for them, they've got Robben, and Robben can go get fucked by a rhino.

Real bang of Ajax 97 or even Villas Boas' recent Porto side from BVB, they'll shine very briefly before all being sold off. Aside from Weidenfeller and Schmelzer I doubt there's a richer club who might look at Dortmund's first XI and couldn't spot at least 2 players who would improve their side.

Tonight was great fun, exilherating stuff really. Last night was good too but Borussia have such a likeable air to them that I'm glad for them whereas last night I was very impressed with Bayern but I've no affection for them, they've got Robben, and Robben can go get fucked by a rhino.

Real bang of Ajax 97 or even Villas Boas' recent Porto side from BVB, they'll shine very briefly before all being sold off. Aside from Weidenfeller and Schmelzer I doubt there's a richer club who might look at Dortmund's first XI and couldn't spot at least 2 players who would improve their side.

More proof if proof was needed that money is ruining football. If you are in that BVB side where do you go ? they play in the best supported league in the world, for the best supported team with the best manager and they could soon be crowned the (defacto) best side in the world. If it was ambition and not money that was running football that side would be together for 10 years and their rivalry with Bayern could be a kind of Liverpool/Everton in the 80s. Only better frankly. A lot better. I watched a few Bundesliga matches this season it is the best in terms of technique in europe, Shades it from Spain I think.

Klopp photobomb

BI7etUKCYAIwXlr.jpg:large

Who do you cheer for in the final ?

Most Chelski Vs Manure was like the choice between wiping your arse with Shit or paper covered in shit. This is like the choice between kebab and pizza. I guess for Dortmund this could be their once in a lifetime experience whereas you'd imagine Bayern will be there again and again over the next few years. Plus Klopp is a complete legend.

I'm going for 4-4 (aet) Though it will probably be 1-1 in normal time, I watched the Bundesliga tie between these 2, I think I said it before here, it was like watching Arsenal vs United back when they were the best 2 teams on the planet. Very cagey, very tight, high tempo, great technique but no space to play in.

Then 10-9 on penalties.

A man can hope.

Who do you cheer for in the final ?

Most Chelski Vs Manure was like the choice between wiping your arse with Shit or paper covered in shit. This is like the choice between kebab and pizza. I guess for Dortmund this could be their once in a lifetime experience whereas you'd imagine Bayern will be there again and again over the next few years. Plus Klopp is a complete legend.

Dortmund, because I fear this will it be for them; Bayern are a couple of seasons away from people hating them like some/you do Barca right now. Also I've a raging football boner for Reus, he glides.

It's as I expected so far end of season affair with nothing riding on it. pretty much two B teams playing but Bayern really have a lot of excellent squad players, all pretty impressive on the ball. Manuel Neure just made his obligitory one mistake of the season and it's 1-0 to Dortmund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back