Champions League 2012-2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Nearly happened. Barca were excellent. Full of intent. Fabregas shouldn't get a game for the rest of the CL he just doesn't fit in that side properly.

Muntari made a difference when he came on though.

Looks like Galatasaray could shnake in there as well.

Edit : Just saw Galatasarays starting XI Eboue is in there !!! Drogba, Schnieder, Melo, Muslera, Riera and Altintop Few more names than I thought I'd know in there.

And they've just scored to make sure. Big one for the Turks, they'll be loving that in Berlin.

Brilliant trolling by a Galatasaray fan during the game against Schalke

580663_10200513199251072_87979178_n.jpg

The FIFA directive is nonsense. You could interpret it as every time the goalkeeper moves you have to get out of his way. It's bollox.

Like I said Celtic fans are entitled to feel agrieved but they should be more agrieved that they only put a decent ball in the box once and Ambrose made a hash of it. That's been my point all along.
So, the instructions given to referees are bollocks according to you, and therefore you consider the referees decisions wrong? You know that doesn't make any sense, right? And, how is it anything new that rules in football are ambiguous. A lot of them are down to interpretation, that doesn't make them invalid. That makes them football rules. Still doesn't mean you can consider a referee abiding to them being "wrong" (or here not strictly abiding to, but letting two things cancel each other out). Anyways, Hooper's obstruction intentions weren't that ambiguous and he should have been fouled before Lichtsteiner even had the chance.

Milan were abysmal last night. The decision to play Pazzini against Genoa made his injury worse, and he is their most in form striker. Decisions to field Constant and De Sciglio were horrible and so were dropping the defensive line so deep. Should have kept some of the intensity of when they actually beat Barca. Never been a fan of Allegri.

So, the instructions given to referees are bollocks according to you, and therefore you consider the referees decisions wrong? You know that doesn't make any sense, right? And, how is it anything new that rules in football are ambiguous. A lot of them are down to interpretation, that doesn't make them invalid. That makes them football rules. Still doesn't mean you can consider a referee abiding to them being "wrong" (or here not strictly abiding to, but letting two things cancel each other out). Anyways, Hooper's obstruction intentions weren't that ambiguous and he should have been fouled before Lichtsteiner even had the chance.

Milan were abysmal last night. The decision to play Pazzini against Genoa made his injury worse, and he is their most in form striker. Decisions to field Constant and De Sciglio were horrible and so were dropping the defensive line so deep. Should have kept some of the intensity of when they actually beat Barca. Never been a fan of Allegri.

That's not what I said at all. point out to me exactly where in that rule it says you can't stand near the goalkeeper ? Hooper was never even in a position to touch Bouffon so explain exactly how he was obstructing him. You're the one pointing the finger here so the burden of proof is on you.

Milan weren't that bad in the first half. Barca were excellent alright but people seem to be forgetting that if Niangs shot had been a couple if inches to the right or Messi had been given offside for the second goal then Milan would have gone in at half time in a reasonably good or very good position and probably closed the game out. It's a huge kick in the balls to hit the post and then have them sweep down the pitch and score a dubious second goal.

Huge mistakes by allegri though. Muntari and Pazzini were big misses, I thought Constant did okay in the first game though so I'm not surprised he started.

That's not what I said at all. point out to me exactly where in that rule it says you can't stand near the goalkeeper ? Hooper was never even in a position to touch Bouffon so explain exactly how he was obstructing him. You're the one pointing the finger here so the burden of proof is on you.

Milan weren't that bad in the first half. Barca were excellent alright but people seem to be forgetting that if Niangs shot had been a couple if inches to the right or Messi had been given offside for the second goal then Milan would have gone in at half time in a reasonably good or very good position and probably closed the game out. It's a huge kick in the balls to hit the post and then have them sweep down the pitch and score a dubious second goal.

Huge mistakes by allegri though. Muntari and Pazzini were big misses, I thought Constant did okay in the first game though so I'm not surprised he started.
Come on, the rule is ambiguous for a reason. It was very obvious that Hooper was standing as close as possible to Buffon without touching him to block his way out to punch the ball. You can just ignore that and say that he was just "practicing his right to stand wherever he wants" (not in rules). But if you can't see it, this argument will never end. At least the ref kinda/maybe did (I mean if he truly had gone by the book he would have booked Hooper). If you're a defender in a situation like that, the ref does nothing about it, you should either do something yourself or do a terrible job. What if you put a 2-4 players in front of a keeper just standing there to avoid the GK not to be able to get out to do what GK's doo at corners? According to your vision, that should be allowed.

Niang shot did hit the post, but it was a poor and hesitated try. He's a very promising kid, but you could just see how much pressure he was on when he controlled the ball. I feel very sorry for him.

Come on, the rule is ambiguous for a reason. It was very obvious that Hooper was standing as close as possible to Buffon without touching him to block his way out to punch the ball. You can just ignore that and say that he was just "practicing his right to stand wherever he wants" (not in rules). But if you can't see it, this argument will never end. At least the ref kinda/maybe did (I mean if he truly had gone by the book he would have booked Hooper). If you're a defender in a situation like that, the ref does nothing about it, you should either do something yourself or do a terrible job. What if you put a 2-4 players in front of a keeper just standing there to avoid the GK not to be able to get out to do what GK's doo at corners? According to your vision, that should be allowed.

Niang shot did hit the post, but it was a poor and hesitated try. He's a very promising kid, but you could just see how much pressure he was on when he controlled the ball. I feel very sorry for him.

You could easily put 2-4 players around the goalkeeper because FIFA haven't written a rule to say you can't, that's the point. There are unambiguous rules in football like "stand 10 yards from the spot where a free kick / corner is being taken from" and for the most part that law is abided by but it's still occasionally/quite often infringed upon depending on your ability to work a tape measure. The law about Goalkeepers is completely ambiguous so why is anyone surprised that arguments like this exist ? If FIFA wanted to fix the problem with goalkeepers it's simple you could put a second line in the 6 yard box lets say a 3 yard box around the goal that only the defending team can occupy on corners. That's unambiguous or they could say that you can only stand at least 2 yards from the goalkeeper that's unambiguous but the idea that the law they have written is enforcable is fucking ridiculous. There are always going to be around 15 players in the 18 yard box it's impossible to say one is obstructing another by virtue of where they are standing and not touching them. Like I said earlier it's down to manners more than anything. If everyone was actually following the written laws of the game maybe they'd start obeying the unwritten ones again. Essentially the FIFA law is the equivilant of saying "No spitting in the vacinity of children" without defining "vacinity". What your saying is essentially that you can't put a player in close proximity to the goal keeper what's next ? you can't put the ball in the 6 yard box from a corner because someone will enevitably be obstructing the goalkeeper ? It's ridiculous.

I've seen shots way worse than Niangs go in. Pity it wasn't Ballotelli in that situation, damn you City!!!

That was woeful. Fair play to Arsenal but basically Bayern let them into it. Ponderous in possession, woeful finishing, slow tempo. They look a technically good side lacking a leader when Schwienstieger isn't playing. Which I suppose is only natural when you consider who he is and how he plays. Good for the tournament that they got through because you couldn't see Arsenal actually winning it.

And well done Malaga . They're a good side hope they get a decent draw so they have a shot at a semi. Can't see them winning it though. They're great at home.

I'm really expecting UEFA to stack the draw so that Malaga and Galatasaray play Real and Barca in opposite sides of the draw so they stay apart til the final. If I wanted to be really conspiratorial I'd say they'll set it up for Real and Barca vs Dortmund and Bayern in the semis.

Out of the other 4 Malaga PSG Juve and Galatasaray. I'd say Juve have been probably the most impressive in spite of not really playing anyone huge yet.

That was woeful. Fair play to Arsenal but basically Bayern let them into it. Ponderous in possession, woeful finishing, slow tempo. They look a technically good side lacking a leader when Schwienstieger isn't playing. Which I suppose is only natural when you consider who he is and how he plays. Good for the tournament that they got through because you couldn't see Arsenal actually winning it.

And well done Malaga . They're a good side hope they get a decent draw so they have a shot at a semi. Can't see them winning it though. They're great at home.

I'm really expecting UEFA to stack the draw so that Malaga and Galatasaray play Real and Barca in opposite sides of the draw so they stay apart til the final. If I wanted to be really conspiratorial I'd say they'll set it up for Real and Barca vs Dortmund and Bayern in the semis.

Out of the other 4 Malaga PSG Juve and Galatasaray. I'd say Juve have been probably the most impressive in spite of not really playing anyone huge yet.

Got that wrong. Keeping the spanish apart til the final so.

There was one shirt grab by Padoin in the box which looked like a penalty. Maybe ref was wrong or saw something we didn't, who knows. These happen in about every match though, so I doubt that warrants a lot of whining. ONE incident that didn't fall into the category of the quoted rule from FIFA. ONE.

Okay, so your response to my argument, that Celtic may have won if they had been given the blatant penalty they should have had, is to ramble on about rules for 1000 words before admitting that yes, Celtic should have had that blatant penalty.
How the fuck does one argue with this? This is basically the discussion here:

"Celtic should have had a penalty, then it could have been a different game."
"Yes, Celtic should have had a penalty, but somehow I still disagree with you and am going to spend lots of time saying this and blabbering on about rules."

It's interesting to see how different things are when it happens to ManUre. Nani kicks Arbleoa in the chest, and all of a sudden 90% of people agree that ManUre have been cheated.

Having watched every Madrid match so far I'm taking the night off to watch Dortmund vs Malaga. Who's with me ?

I reckon this could be the game of the tournament. Malaga aren't great away but they sure go forward with intent at home. Are Dortmund as good as everyone thinks ?

This is the best I've seen Lewendowski play.
Could have been 3-3 at half time.

Dortmund were the spitting image of Arsenals invicibles at one point there.

Isco for Malaga and Gundugan are really top players.

Lewandowski is doing his best Mandzukic impression in terms of work rate, his touch is way better than I thought. Best 1st half of the season anyway. Some awful finishing though. Perhaps Dortmund are starting to miss Hummels, not that the balls out of defence haven't been superb but he's much better at setting the pace for them. It's for the better as a spectacle though, everything at 100 mph all the time.

You'd imagine Real are through in the other match.

Sting went out of it in the 2nd half.

20 shots in that match. 20 of the worst shots you'll ever see actually.

The return should be another cracker although, this generation of Germans have do have a reputation for bottling it on the big occasion. You could definitely see a bit of that in the 2nd half. They should have won comfortably but managed to never quite look comfortable.

I think there's a touch of the Barcelonas about them in a way. They can only play one way which is high tempo all out attack. There were a few occasions when they should have calmed it down and held on to it instead. No plan B as it were.

To be fair to Malaga they look a good side, but they won't beat Real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back