Champions League 2012-2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Real are a vile club, run by a series of spendthrift megalomaniacs, with a prick for a manager and a preening shithead of a star player who have long standing links to the Spanish establishment, be it royalty or Franco.

And I still hope United lose.

To be honest, while all of that is true, I still find it hard to fully hate them. They have had so many great players and always at least try to play the game the right way (with the exception of the first few years under Mourinho). They're the villains alright, but they're like the villains in a John Woo or Christopher Nolan movie.

Barcelona are like Superman. Incredible but, a bit dull with set pieces and long balls straight down the mddle as Kryptonite.

Man United are like the "heroes" in Zero Dark Thirty or Black Hawk Down.

Is there a Batman ? Bayern maybe ? They've got that dark turmoil thing , persecuted by the nazis and now have a dark sect of them hanging around them to an extent, like some sort of self loathing innit ?

Every season there's one John McClane it was Napoli last season and it's Dortmund or Shaktar or Celtic this season.

Then there's Arsenal who are the Green Lantern or Aquadude or Biclops something.

Then there's Arsenal who are the Green Lantern or Aquadude or Biclops something.

I think we're more Spidermanish, good 10 years ago with Henry/Raimi at the helm. But now we've got a pretty but maybe not good enough figure in Giroud/Andrew Garfield out in front.

Rooney dropped by the way, these are the big, decisions that Fergie's reputation is built on I guess.

I think we're more Spidermanish, good 10 years ago with Henry/Raimi at the helm. But now we've got a pretty but maybe not good enough figure in Giroud/Andrew Garfield out in front.

Rooney dropped by the way, these are the big, decisions that Fergie's reputation is built on I guess.

That's spot on. Liverpool are Blake at the end of The Dark Knight, could be alright but won't get a shot at the big time for a while yet.

Mad decision to start Cleverly in front of Kagawa and Rooney. Cleverly is about to play for the 7th time ever in Europe and it's against Real. That's insane. Still he's SAF and I'm a lad with a bad knee and hip and a drinking problem.

Looking forward to Fergie's post match interview - or does he even give them in CL games?? If he does, I predict a 6 figure fine. Terrible ref decision and effectively scuppered United who were looking comfortable. Kudos to Mourinho for bringing Modric on, he scored the goal and was heavily involved.

Awfully harsh on United, Wish I could be delighted for them but that was just horrible to watch. Game management from Real and Mourinho was awful, an extra man and that extra man was fucking Pepe, that's madness, If Ozil had stayed on they could have kept the ball for the rest of the match with no problem.

Mourinhos post match interview was top notch.

Tuesdays are tv3, Wednesday for RTE coverage

Keane didn't say much

Roy Keane: "I think the referee made the right call. It's dangerous play ... whether or not he [Nani] meant it is irrelevant. No doubt about it, it's a red card. It was the right decision."

Lee Dixon: "I can see why he sent him off. but I think there's enough ambiguity there to have showed him a yellow."

keane was funny. what a prick.
clearly trying to get on ferguson's tits.

to be fair to him, he made a good point (not that I really agree with it) - if you leave a doubt in refs mind about an incident then you've done enough to warrant a red card. whether its intentional or not. obviuosly its grand for him saying this as a retired footballer in a tv studio as opposed to walking down a tunnell after 60 minutes. sammy davis junior had no idea arbeloa was gonna be there. even so, he was 100% trying to control the ball

dortmond for the CL!

dortmond for the CL!

For consistent team perfromances it's them and Juve so far. Everyone else has been somewhat patchy even Bayern, though I'd imagine they'll take some stopping. Pity Malaga played so poorly in the first leg against Porto, still only a goal down though and they pass it excellently at home. It's an "open" draw from here on out so if Barca go out it'll be fascinating to see how Uefa go about making sure Bayern and Real can't meet til the final. That is supposing that Bayern don't collapse against Arsenal.

Oh and one more thing, I'm fucking sick of the British media going on like the CL refs are a bunch of head cases, "That would never happen in the PL" Bullshit, it happened to Carlton Cole and Darron Gibson in one match before christmas.

Since the Celtic - Juve game is over and since I'm aware of exactly how good Juve are I've been watching PSG and Valencia.

Half time now and here's what I've noticed.

1. It's not just Barcelona who have no plan B. Valencia need to score twice, they've had most of the ball, but they find themselves in positions were the only option to go forward is the diagonal ball out of defence, they're playing with 2 up front it's a perfectly acceptable option but instead they go back to the keeper, which doesn't work PSG close him down quickly and instead of a dangerous high ball around PSGs box it ends in a high ball in midfield. In Spain having the ball seems to be more important than actually creating chances. It's so bizarre to watch. It's no wonder Mourinho got such a hard time at Madrid he actually tries to win at all costs.

2. PSG have nothing up front without Zlat. For a team that spent that amount of money it's incredible how weak they are up front.

It's all a bit boring, a bit spanish at the moment. Needs a ridiculous red card to get it going.

Never got started really. 10 minute spell of pressure from Valencia but aside from that it was quiet.

PSG won't win the CL unless Zlat suddenly becomes Diego Pele McPuskas II for the rest of the tournament.

Never got started really. 10 minute spell of pressure from Valencia but aside from that it was quiet.

PSG won't win the CL unless Zlat suddenly becomes Diego Pele McPuskas II for the rest of the tournament.

You're right about them looking a bit lost without Zlat. Which is surprising the amount of money spent on them. Thiago Silva, Lavezzi and Pastore were good at Milan, Napoli and Palermo before their move, and van der Wiel was quite the hot property a couple of years ago. I rate Carlo as a coach as well.

Thought Moura was good in the first leg though.

Barring a miracle in Munich next week my current favoured teams to win the lot are Dortmund and then Juve, everyone else can go die in fires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back