Cerebus - a 6000 page graphic novel (1 Viewer)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
came to an end recently, after 25 odd years.
ANYONE else ever read any of it.
If I ever become a lecturer Church and State is going on my course.

Never heard of that one, what's the general gist or characters?

Did read one graphic novel 'the Watchmen' that I thought was great,
books in pictures rule. A

em.... the life and times of Cerebus the aardvark.
Much more complicated than that sounds. Id like to say i could explain it but..... this may help
You can buy it in phonebook size volumes.
cerbbw2.gif

never read the Watchman, my brother's a graphic designer so he's the one who buys all that stuff, ill check out if he has it.

Anybody know which graphic Novels Alejandro Jodorowsky is involved with?Been meaning to check out summa his shit.

I just found this website which has a summary of Cerebus up to about half way through it written by the author. Everyone should read Cerebus.

Dixer said:
Anybody know which graphic Novels Alejandro Jodorowsky is involved with?Been meaning to check out summa his shit.
You want to check out "L'Incal" , done with Moebius, and his latest one "La Caste des Meta-Barons".
I don't know if they've been translated into English yet, but if you can read French, or are desperate to look at the pictures, then you can get them online.

He has a few novels out, (not graphic afaik) but lately he's mainly been doing poetry.

chauvinist female hating authors aren't your thing?

sheesh

You can't really say that "Cerebus" is a 6000 page graphic novel. It's not coherent enough for that, and the writer plainly made it up as he went along.

It does rank as one of the great failed artworks of our times. When it started, the creator (Dave Sim) did it as an entertaining pastiche of Conan The Barbarian style comics. After a bit, though, he got more ambitious, and decided to tell the life-story of the main character over three hundred issues. For a time it was brilliant - the breadth of scope he had set himself raised his game considerably, and the likes of "High Society", "Church & State", & "Jaka's Story" are among the greatest comics ever published.

But it all went wrong. Two things happenned. First of all, Sim became increasingly misogynist, and he allowed his misogyny to take over the comic so that it became a vehicle for his ideas about how men are creative and women are inherently parasitic on male creativity. Secondly, and far more unforgiveably, someone gave Sim a book on postmodernism for beginners and he basically relocated to the interior of his own rectum. I'm glad "Cerebus" is finally over, but I am sorry that it stopped being of any interest many years ago.

the first two hundred issues are good. But then the story effectively ends.

the last 100 are just about his favourite authors and how women ruined them. It's entertaining all the same.
He's made the only near-coherent anti-feminist argument i've read

But it all went wrong. Two things happenned. First of all, Sim became increasingly misogynist, and he allowed his misogyny to take over the comic so that it became a vehicle for his ideas about how men are creative and women are inherently parasitic on male creativity. Secondly, and far more unforgiveably, someone gave Sim a book on postmodernism for beginners and he basically relocated to the interior of his own rectum.

the two of which trends reach their apotheosis in "reads". jesus christ. "aha, you want to find out what's going to happen next in the plot! but i'm not going to tell you! hee hee! i'm going to froth on about how women are evil vortexes sapping me of my manly will instead! will we have more plot in the next issue? i'm not telling!".

it's the only book i've ever actually found myself shaking my fist at while shouting abuse at it. unbelievably infuriating, especially as "church & state", "high society", and "jaka's story" are so. damn. good.

cerebus is also responsible for any large beverage being referred to as "a buggit of.." in our household.

I have two decks of Diamondback cards, I kid you not.

wanna game?

Dave Sim said:
I discovered, through celibacy and the avoidance of masturbation that sexual desire is a lot like a rash. If you keep "scratching it" you make it worse and, thus, "scratching it" comes to seem like an urgent, toppermost of the poppermost, central necessity in your life. If you learn to leave your penis alone, I discovered, your penis will learn to leave you alone
Funny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back