cds for sale... (2 Viewers)

mc moley said:
i dunno i just fiqure ya get all this stuff for free and if ya dont want it anymore...give it away to someone who does....share and share alike no?
not many people have the dosh to be splshin out on cds the whole time....maybe a trade is a better idea.
anyway there are enough perks to doing a zine....enjoyment of doing one
buzzing off people reading it...
free music and zines to read
you get to b cool
.|..|
400 copies of zine. 48 pages minimum usually. professionally copied. 8 issues so far. do the fuckin maths there boss and work out how much it has cost over its 5 years. i havent sold a review cd before. i am now to make some money back.

and anyway like andy said ..its my fuckin business...keep your nose out!

i wont even get into postage costs.

give em out for free. fuck off. i worked for those cds.

i offered a trade. read the orignal post.

plus i'm seeling full cds for a fiver. cds that will cost over 20 euro in hmv. like the hellcat ones. they send the digipak for review. the full cd as you would buy it in nay record shop.

sure its cool that people like it (the zine) but that doesnt pay the bills. (i've seen 7 people read 1 copy at a gig before!)

who wants to be cool? most ppl that read the zine havent even met me.

if you've anymore to say email me at:

[email protected]

trev said:
thanks lia and andy. its nice to know some people have sense.

as for the other 2....i ask you the cheek of some people questioning others actions when they've only been around for a wet weekend.
i ask you...the over-defensiveness of some people in response to non-aggressive comments.

look im not trying to pick a fight with you...
the whole 'you get to be cool thing was a joke'
and the whole time i was saying its not for me to say whats right or wrong.,..i was just offering up an opinion.

plus your last issue sold 400 copies or something like that. at 2 euro a pop thats 800 quid. is that not making your money bak?

i think your a nice guy and your zine is great...most definitly needed and helpful. but however if you were to sell all those cds you posted up at a fiver a whack you would make a crazy amount of money....hence me saying is it not cashing in somewhat.

do you see my point? count the number of cd's you posted and times that by 5.
now do you think that is a fair representation of what you 'deserve'? from the work you put in.
plus its not all your hard work and money the bands, and i for that matter send you down stuff to review. thats postage money and loss of sale money outta their pocket. and i feel for you to turn around and sell it all is a just a bt scabby. thats all. can you see my point? you'd get a fucking holiday outta it all! i dont think things like this shud be used to such an advantage, especially when the money is coming from supporters and friends.

i can see the stuff i sent you down getting a terrible review now! (joke)

and if that was me you were referring to as being around for a ' wet weekend' i think ive done and have been involved in just as many zines as you, hav i not? four editions of this frigging thing (the 5th is under construction)and two of bogul...the 3rd on its way.
so dont know where you were getting at with that?
sorry if this comes across as bitchy but that remark is just a bit rediculous.

all the points i was making were in a conversation....unfortunatly it's turned into an argument.....lets make it a conversation again.

mc moley said:
look im not trying to pick a fight with you...
the whole 'you get to be cool thing was a joke'
and the whole time i was saying its not for me to say whats right or wrong.,..i was just offering up an opinion.

plus your last issue sold 400 copies or something like that. at 2 euro a pop thats 800 quid. is that not making your money bak?

i think your a nice guy and your zine is great...most definitly needed and helpful. but however if you were to sell all those cds you posted up at a fiver a whack you would make a crazy amount of money....hence me saying is it not cashing in somewhat.

do you see my point? count the number of cd's you posted and times that by 5.
now do you think that is a fair representation of what you 'deserve'? from the work you put in.
plus its not all your hard work and money the bands, and i for that matter send you down stuff to review. thats postage money and loss of sale money outta their pocket. and i feel for you to turn around and sell it all is a just a bt scabby. thats all. can you see my point? you'd get a fucking holiday outta it all! i dont think things like this shud be used to such an advantage, especially when the money is coming from supporters and friends.

i can see the stuff i sent you down getting a terrible review now! (joke)
first off i asked you to continue this by email.

seriously go somewhere that does copying and get a quote.

again fuck you. all those cds are not review cds. i have bought a fair few of them.
at full price i might add. why do i bother with this shit...answering to people who know it all.

i offered you money for what you sent me you stupid boy. you said it was grand.

what age are you again? you seem to know it all.

"scabby" eh. first time i've ever been called that and i take displeasure to it.

NOW PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THIS UP.

look the reason im carrying it on here is cuz im on a computer in college that doesnt let you access hotmail or anyother thing like that....so i can only respond to you via this eircore.

why are you getting so aggressive? just relax, i want attacking you.
in response to your post.....
i know you offered me money...but seeing as you bother doing the zine and all that i gave them to you for free(which i didnt mind...its a common courtacy. you were doing me and the rest of us a favour.)

i'm 18. i've been going to and playing in punk gigs for about 3 years now. i've put on and have been involved in organising somewhere in the region of twenty gigs. as well as the zine distro and oganising the occasional tour for foreign bands. (i dont mean this to sound like im tooting my own horn.)
but i think given the fact that i do the above work for the scene i find it quite insulting that you refer to me as being around for a wet weekend.and irrelivant the way you brought age into it when your little wet weekend comment was dismissed by the fact that i've done nearly as many zines as you.

maybe this is a clearer take on the point i was trying to make...
if damo went off and kept all the money from gz, rather than put it bak in it wouldn't be as good.
if we kept the money from the kilcoole gigs (we get sumwhere in the region of 500 euro each one) instead of investing it back into the scene in the form of gear...which people can use and cd's and zines (we loose money every this frigging thing. it's compensated by the central fund) it would be a bit dodgy. what im trying to say is that things like your zine shouldnt be used for personal gain. they should be used for personal and public progression.

as far as a quote for a copying place.....fuck off i couldnt be arsed. we both know its killer forking over for copies.

i also asked you not to make this an argument. so please if you are going to write back dont insult or attack me.

eoin said:
No need for this arguement, I just robbed all of Trevs stuff the other day. The minute his back was turned. And I'll do it again.
that explains the wet patches of hackler all over the carpet...

once you didnt steal my prize possession* you're all right.

* prize possession = anti hero demo cassette.

"sorry we're all sold out"!!!

I tend to think that as long as you're not ripping people off, what's the harm? I have tons and tons of the stuff, and I would probably give mine away if I didn't want them, but then, I only write for zines, which costs me nothing, so I have no costs to recover. That they're filling up all available storage space in my house doing nothing, when others might like them more than I do makes me feel a bit guilty (so I might give some of them away soon, just haven't had time to go through them yet).

BUT, I do know that it costs loads to do a zine, especially to get the quality production that Trev has consistently achieved. Yes, there should be a certain amount of non-monetary 'profit' in the satisfaction, but it's not free to do. And so what if he makes a few bob for his pocket from selling stuff? Just because we're all into doing things on a totally independent basis doesn't mean there should be some blanket ethical ban on ever making any money off of anything. It's not like he's going to buy a gold-plated Merc out of it (I hear he's already got one from the UFC empire, anyway).

How many of the CDs you see in second hand shops have you found are old promo copies? People walk in, sell stuff they got for free, then the shop sells it for sometimes up to a tenner. I know some places don't buy things that are obviously promo (and labels often mark their promo by piercing the jewel cases of complete CDs they send out), but a lot of them in IReland do. It's pure profit all around, but wouldn't you rather give a fiver to an indie rock/punk rock kid who will probably use it to buy more independent music, then give 20 euro to Tower or HMV? Or even pay a tenner for something that no one paid for in the first place? I'm sure some of the labels would prefer to see people trading the stuff at most, but I think a lot of them, especially the smaller ones, are aware that doing zines is never a profit-making venture (which is why they spend some of what little money they have to send out free stuff), and might be fine with it. No one is getting rich off this stuff.

I see the point about not putting money into pockets from gigs, and I agree. That's obvious, but it isn't the same issue. When we did GZ, we occasionally heard rumours (third hand, etc, probably blown out of proportion) that we were somehow profiting from it. We spent more out of our pockets every week than anyone ever paid to get into a gig. That's fine. It was fun, I enjoyed doing it, and I never would have even considered the possibility of putting money into my own pocket. I have never thought of money from a gig I've done as my money, especially since bands probably spend more than they ever make just keeping themselves going. (That said, I also don't have a wholesale problem with people making a living off of promoting/doing DIY music-related stuff, so long as they aren't ripping people off, which most people aren't.)

However, because of the way GZ and promoters like it are run, taking money from a gig that could be used to put on more gigs is a different issue altogether. Selling stuff in order to have a few extra bob to put into the zine, money that will find its way back into the little DIY micro-economy doesn't seem like the same issue.

Again, I wouldn't do it myself. I might trade some, if someone in the same boat as me had an attic full of promo I wanted, but that's about it. I don't see a huge problem. Zinesters have been peddling their old promo to record shops for years.

i dont think theres anything wrong with selling promos, though ive never done it because i liked a lot of the promos ive gotten. I gave away the ones i didnt like but that was my choice, just like its somebody's choice to sell them if they want.

you'll excuse me if i detect a "punker than thou" attitude at work in this thread

i dunno im against it in theory cause it just kinda adds the amount of profit flyin around the place. it'd be better if that kinda thing was avoided. i know its not huge profit or anything like that...i think this was just an argument that got out of hand.
i dont really have a prob wit what trev is doing it i was just kinda discussing the theoretical argument against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back