CD Storage/Racks (1 Viewer)

Johnny_Fontane

Website
www.juice.net
I've got a fairly large collection of CDS (about 400 and growing) in cardboard boxes on my floor. Does anyone have any good ideas for decent storage and more importantly where to buy them (in ireland/uk online maybe).....I think maybe a cd bookcase would be the answer.

What does everyone else use?

I recommend just making them into nice big piles which are great fun to try to get a cd from the bottom of when you're drunk, although that may not be the best idea, cd racks tend to take up an awful lot of space when you get over the 100 mark, after i got over the 500 mark i just gave up any thoughts of neat storage and just keep them in piles wherever they'll fit

G

Well usually when this occurs, its best to hand over around half the quantity you have, to the up and coming music heads about - as well as solving your storage problems, it also gives an enormous feeling of self-satisfaction.And thats something you can`t buy in the shops.....now is it?
Your storage problems could actually be the answer to those Christmas presents you may have to buy, as well.
Possiblities are endless really...

cd folders are great storage solutions.I think you can get them in tower records.plus you can nerd-out and have hours of fun rearranging your cds in chronological/alphabetical order.

they are very handy if , like me , you have broken the vast majority of your cd cases by leaving them lying around on the floor by the stereo to be drunkenly trod upon.

if you are going to buy a cd rack make sure you get a decent one!
I bought a cheapo plastic cd rack in argos before - the bloody thing collapsed quicker than the world trade centre.

Originally posted by spiritualtramp
cd folders are great storage solutions.I think you can get them in tower records.plus you can nerd-out and have hours of fun rearranging your cds in chronological/alphabetical order.

they are very handy if , like me , you have broken the vast majority of your cd cases by leaving them lying around on the floor by the stereo to be drunkenly trod upon.

if you are going to buy a cd rack make sure you get a decent one!
I bought a cheapo plastic cd rack in argos before - the bloody thing collapsed quicker than the world trade centre.

don't buy one with built-in slots. Open shelf-type one's are best.
Alternatively you can small storage shelves from Atlantic or Homebase

Originally posted by Johnny_Fontane
I've got a fairly large collection of CDS (about 400 and growing) in cardboard boxes on my floor. Does anyone have any good ideas for decent storage and more importantly where to buy them (in ireland/uk online maybe).....I think maybe a cd bookcase would be the answer.

What does everyone else use?

Wallets, folders and booklets for holding CDs are sometimes better, esp if they are not used too often. Poundcity and those type of places do 24-CD zip-up wallets (like a filofax?) for 2euro, plus the 48-CD ones for a fiver. Also, the ones you put into A4 folders are good as the folders hold about 64-96 and take up the space of one folder.

Stacking on an open shelf is a good idea but I found that constantly stacking cds on top of each other causes the cases to crack and destroys digipacks. I found these ones in Argos a fews years back when I had about 300 cds.
Each small section holds about 12 cds and you buy them in packs of 4 sections. You can slot as many of them together, and arrange (I found 4 sections high and 3 accross was best) them as you need and can buy more at a later stage when your cd.
collection gets bigger. The wall of my room are covered in the things now, and my problem is I have to get more
but dont have any walls to to hang them . I seem to recall they were considerably cheaper when I
first got them . Oh and you'll need a drill and wall plugs to hang them securely . Take a look at them here :

LINK

i bought 2 floor standing bookcases from atlantic homecare about 4 months ago. they stand about 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide and i made the shelves about 3 inches higher than a cd on it's side. all me cd's now safe and easily accessible.

marvelous

i'm looking for the same sort of thing at the moment, if you go to www.argos.co.uk and choose furntiure - storage - cd, video... - me likes the looks of the beech finish cd storage unit - 3foot*2foot fits 200 cds - cat number 875/1492 - a couple o them and you'd be alright.

CD storage racks are cumbersome and space-innefficient. They are for people who want to show off their music collections.

Hey look at me and my biiiiiiiiiig CD rack. That's right. It's the old big car/small dick syndrome.

As for alphabetised CDs stored in a CD rack, well that's just the pits.

Put them in a box or some shit.

fuckin horrible, aren't they?
I am morally opposed to them on the grounds that they are
a. for boys
b. fucking disgusting

my bed has drawer in it

you know those beds with Drawers in them?

well its one of them, a double bed, so it's a big drawer like.

so the drawer is about 15cm deep, which means a CD snuggly fits in, spine displayed up

so I got 100+ into three rows in that thing. Aces.

I have a small wire rack beside my stereo for stuff I listen to all the time, you know, The Beachboys, Pavement, Dirty Dancing OST, The Corr's, Dignam and Goff, you know, stuff you wanna get quickly like.

Argus sucks. It amazes me why anybody buys stuff there. You can't even see it! Then you get the stuff home and you have to assemble it yourself!

A new addition to the CD collection racks is the burnt CD. Where does it go?

Originally posted by Anthony
Argus sucks. It amazes me why anybody buys stuff there. You can't even see it! Then you get the stuff home and you have to assemble it yourself!

you buy stuff in habitat - you have to assemble it yourself
you buy stuff in foko - you have to assemble it yourself.
it's the way of the furniture world these days, but at least you know you're gonna get something that won't fall down after 10 minutes I serpose. And it has the added bonus of being about 34 times more expensive.

Originally posted by Anthony

A new addition to the CD collection racks is the burnt CD. Where does it go?

True I had to assemble everything myself but I furnished half of my flat with 200 euros and the suff is alright...

Where else would you buy then?

Habitat = 300 Euros for a shelf for instance?

I sound like such a ma - but you pay for what you get.

I have a rappa set of shelves from habitat which cost 240 euro and are solid as fook and also look great and are capable of storing a fucking load of vinyl without buckling or falling over. I'll probably have them for ever n ever as well, which I can't say for my wobble if you look crooked at them crappy argos shelves.

yes, yes it is

for a small charge extra I could've give theses cinder block and MDF shelves the Homefront treatment and spray paint them silver, glue something pointless like ring pulls from cans of Dutch gold onto them and then drape them in strings of faux diamonds!

Then I'd go hack saw up your Kitchen table and cover it in PVA and gravel... probably...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back