Cataloguing your music (2 Viewers)

Okay I dont mean to sound like a dope here but do any of these online list sites basically work on the premise that say I enter a bands name like 'God Bullies' that a list of their releases that are already on someone elses list will come up and I can just add it to mine or do I have to enter all the details individually, I already have a database on my computer with all my records on it but the thought of uploading 1600+ record titles online (my lovely collection) would be killer without an easy shortcut.

Anyway back to cataloging my music. I dont bother with my cds as they are in bits now and I havent bought many in years. I oragnise vinyl a-z but just wondering about the heads who who went by genre, how many different genres did you have? Cause seriously I think it may be harder for me to split shit into genres even moreso than the order I purchased them in!

I have three vague categories. There's a shelf for records that go on when other people would be about, a shelf for records that mainly go on when other people aren't about and the floor for stuff that's been on recently and hasn't been put away yet.

I used to use Recordnerd to catalogue,but it's a pain in the ass now. Keeps freezing and can take as long as the record lasts to list stuff sometimes.
I want to find something though,as I want to trade more. It has to be super easy to add to though.

Okay I dont mean to sound like a dope here but do any of these online list sites basically work on the premise that say I enter a bands name like 'God Bullies' that a list of their releases that are already on someone elses list will come up and I can just add it to mine or do I have to enter all the details individually, I already have a database on my computer with all my records on it but the thought of uploading 1600+ record titles online (my lovely collection) would be killer without an easy shortcut.

Anyway back to cataloging my music. I dont bother with my cds as they are in bits now and I havent bought many in years. I oragnise vinyl a-z but just wondering about the heads who who went by genre, how many different genres did you have? Cause seriously I think it may be harder for me to split shit into genres even moreso than the order I purchased them in!

What format is your database in? Recordnerd.com can accept imports of CSV database files.

I used Delicious Library for a while, I even bought it, but quickly got bored.

Same here. I gave up scanning my books after about 6. NO WAY am I going to go to all that bother for records.
I mean ultimately, who's it all for????

I do it for trading purposes mostly but I tend to onl update every two months or so. I have a VisualBookshelf or something and added everyone of my books about a year ago but fucked if I'll be doing it again..

I oragnise vinyl a-z but just wondering about the heads who who went by genre, how many different genres did you have? Cause seriously I think it may be harder for me to split shit into genres even moreso than the order I purchased them in!

my house records are divided into european house, random bits first and then by label. then detroit house, mainly divided by artist. then detroit sounding stuff but not from detroit. it's easier in that you could listen to something in a shop,not know who it's by, but yet know roughly where you'll remember to find it in your collection. This is also why discogs is handy in that you can id records that come in a generic sleve with nothing but run outs to identify them. there's overlaps too and there's some hous that lives on the techno or disco shelves, like I'll put all sub labels and related labels together even though they could have different genres. It makes sense to me on the basis of sounds, not on names... For the most part anyway. I don't think I'd be able to find much if everything were alphabetised.

I use goodreads so that i have a list of all the books ive read, i find it enjoyable to browse through, im not so pushed about having a list of the records though, it wouldnt work the same way.

I use goodreads so I weekly get an e-mail updating me on shaney's current reading.

vinyl genres for me

Hip Hop
Electro
Indie
Soul
Funk
Jazz
50s Rock and Roll
60s Pop and Rock
70s and beyond Pop and Rock
80s New Romantic
Drum and Bass
Dubstep / Grime
Techno / House
Electronica
Soundtracks
Folk
Big Beat / Trip Hop
60s / 70s Psych
Library
Lounge / Easy Listening
James Last shelf

CDs - just alphabetical with compilations (have hundreds) stored separately. I don't dismiss / disregard them.

I have three vague categories. There's a shelf for records that go on when other people would be about, a shelf for records that mainly go on when other people aren't about and the floor for stuff that's been on recently and hasn't been put away yet.

god it's a pain putting records back in sleeves after a boozey night.

Yeah my filing system is four fold

CDs in Boxes
CDs out of Boxes
CDs which no longer have a Box because some twat (probably me) broke it while pissed
Boxes which have no CD because they disappeared mysteriously usually from a caselogic while moving gaf

It's a fairly basic system but so long as you remember which pile is the Boxes with no CDs one you avoid disappointment

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back