CAT ON FORM & The KILLING SPREE 7" launch (1 Viewer)

cool go along to the DIY fest during the day if you fancy and i'll see you there.

CAT ON FORM INTERVIEW FROM EVENT GUIDE

(With Dan from Cat on Form)

Q: We saw you play one of your first gigs in Brighton back in December 2001. How have things progressed since then?

A: That is hard to answer, we have done many tours, and released an LP on southern records entitled "structure and fear", and we have toured the UK, mainland Europe and America. We have experienced so much that has changed all of us so much, I feel like I am living when we are on the road.

Q: You seem to be very active in the DIY scene and promote independence and taking control over your resources. How do you think Southern Records, who have put out your recent album 'Structure and Fear', fit in to this agenda?
A: Working with Southern has helped us a lot to tour around places, they have lent us money in the past to travel and lent us money to buy our van! We still have complete control over everything we do as a band, southern are very good in that way, they are just interested in working with bands and letting them have control over their records etc. sometimes it feels strange to not be putting the records together yourself, that is one thing we miss about releasing records ourselves.

Q: Tony Wilson from Factory Records is apparently a fan and tried to sign the band. What was the story there? I read a quote from him saying, "I nearly signed CAT ON FORM too. Very good band, very big attitude problems."
A: That was a strange time for us, we played Audioscope late 2002 and he approached us right after we played, he was asking Steve and Eva if we had a manger, they replied "no", then he said "every good band needs a manager" and was being very pushy, so we told him that we don't want one, he was very interested in meeting with us, so his partner warren came down to Brighton one day to discuss putting out a record with his new label "red cellars", then after that day Tony came down in his jaguar!!!! Me and Jamie went to the beach with him and he got us a bottle of water each, then we went to Steve’s house and had a meeting about putting out a record, but it just didn't feel right to work with them, they believe in very strange things like destiny and there being a right band for him. I can assure you we were never out of line to him, that guy just seems to surround himself in mystery and bullshit! But he was nice! And we were nice to him!

Q: You are playing a fundraiser shortly in Brighton for Wesley Willis's burial costs. What attracted you to get involved with this?
A: Our friends are organising the show, and we are all very big Wesley Willis fans, so we were really interested. It will be very special to see some great bands playing amazing songs!

Q: You seem to be a very politicised band and encourage communication between the audience and band when you play gigs. So from your recent experience touring the US with OFF MINOR, how did your interactions with American kids go down?
A: The answer to this could go on for ever, but I will keep it short as I am very tired, I found a lot of American kids to be very sexist, homophobic and just hard to understand, but we also met some incredible people, it was just very strange going from playing really active squat shows in Germany to playing in the Midwest of America, very different ideas on things to say the least. But we did have a great experience over there, even if we all felt like we were travelling around a vacuous wasteland a lot of the time! But we want to go back as soon as possible

Q: Some bands who have a lot to say sometimes can't back it up with their music, but CAT ON FORM I think have proven that they can 'rock the gaff'! Reviews of 'Structure and Fear' have referenced Fugazi, Gang of Four, Nation of Ulysess. "Confusion is Sex" - Sonic Youth, Unwound etc... What music is currently inspiring you at the moment?

A: Recently I have been listening to... Burned Up Bled Dry, Spirit Assembly, Shannon Wright, Leonard Cohen, Life Detecting Coffins, Crass, but I have been more inspired by films recently like Werner Herzog films.

Q: Your original drummer Eva has had problems with her back causing Cat on Form to cancel their Dublin dates a couple of times before, leaving you to borrow drummers from I'm Being Good and Charlottefield. What is the current situation and how has this affected the band?

A: The situation is still not that great! Ashleigh from Charlottefield is playing with us on our tour in August, we have been playing with a few different drummers recently in a practice space, but we haven't had time to play that much to figure out all this mess! haha,

Q: Finally, what do you think makes for a good gig and is there any special dance moves you'd like the Irish kids to warm too, before you come over?

A: I really love shows where there is no smoking, drinking or violence, but America seems best for that, it's a lot harder to put shows on in houses and community spaces in England! I like gigs with a nice atmosphere and a receptive crowd is always nice. I am just as bad as everyone else but I would love to see more friendly dancing at shows instead of everyone standing still with their arms folded. I like the dance they do in teen wolf or the way the kid’s dance in saved by the bell! Hahaha, sorry I have been at work all day, then from there I went to the cinema and now I am writing the answers! Sorry if they are terrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back