Cancelled (5 Viewers)

It's a very interesting experience to have common cause with the same people on so many issues, and then when it comes to an actually difficult one, the majority take the position that they will only really listen to one point of view and that the other side are affiliated with nazis.
Like you never really get the impression that anyone is listening - it's more just waiting for you to stop talking so they can tell you you're wrong, or your opinion doesn't count.

And for the record, I like and respect pretty much everyone here
Some more than others, but everyone has the baseline of respect

Plus, it's Friday
Here's some more Roisin

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The other side are definitely nazis

To put it another way, you’d have to be wilfully ignorant not to see that the far right’s all over this issue.

I’ve held my tongue about a lot of this because I’m a cishet man and sure the world’s heard enough from us, but it’s hard to stand by while I see people express opinions ostensibly out of concern for children while failing to acknowledge the biases behind the stories, articles, research, etc that prompted their concerns in the first place. Like, it’s fucking obvious that these things are being used as a cudgel to beat trans people, and if you’re not acknowledging that...

On a related point, I don’t believe this Platonic idea of ‘debate’ that I’ve seen advocated for here ever really existed.

I guess I see it very differently, but that's life! This forum can be great (and useful) for expressing different points of view fairly respectfully, so I think at least that aspect is a comfort. And I hope to see it replicated in other places as time wears on, there was a time when this was actually the case, to see someone like the conservative William F. Buckley Jr. interviewing Bernadette Devlin on television, for example, that kind of thing (just taking America as an example), or something like After Dark on Channel 4, where people like Anthony Burgess and Andrea Dworkin chatted and fell out and fell back in again. I suppose my own position on this has been set out, and I have appreciated reading others' points of view about it, also. And one has to be driven by personal conscience, I think - so maybe we can all agree on that, I don't know. Anyway, best of weekends to you all. I'm off to drive my personal conscience offline :)

Did some suppress what they truly were and live a lie until they eventually felt comfortable identifying as ...
The older I get the more it seems to me that "identity" itself is a social construct. Do we all have a "true self" that's independent of our social environments? At this stage I suspect a "self" is a kind of story that you co-create with the people around you

Here's some more Roisin

This isn't good.

Edit: Well what I mean is,

If this the example of her being someone talented worth listening to, it isn't very good.

As background beige, it's not terrible.

Just not good enough to warrant the hype

This isn't good.

Edit: Well what I mean is,

If this the example of her being someone talented worth listening to, it isn't very good.

As background beige, it's not terrible.

Just not good enough to warrant the hype
i mean each to their own and all that, but I listened to this a lot and whenever it's on when I have company, people usually ask "Who's that?"

I like this house/disco stuff of hers a lot.

I'll listen to her do anything.
But she is most definitely not a person I would look to for guidance on any nuanced social issue.
She's a marvelously talented artist that struck gold early doors, and we're lucky to have her.
But she hasn't lived a life that most people would recognise.

Same way I'm not gonna listen to Gary Lineker or whoever you're having yourself.

If anyone is interested in a very smart Irish lady that has thought and written a lot on the subject, then Helen Joyce is a good place to start. imho
I think Helen's disco output is limited tho.

But she is most definitely not a person I would look to for guidance on any nuanced social issue.

I’d say many musicians, etc aren’t. But their words carry more weight than the average Joe Soap’s opinion, and a lot of people, fans or otherwise, are swayed by what they say. That’s just a fact.

It’s very easy to say ‘ah they’re just like that, ignore them’ rather than hold them to account for saying potentially harmful things.

She's from

ARKLAH, ARKLAH, ARKLAH, COUNTY WICKLAH
Proof that good things can come from anywhere

I’d say many musicians, etc aren’t. But their words carry more weight than the average Joe Soap’s opinion, and a lot of people, fans or otherwise, are swayed by what they say. That’s just a fact.

It’s very easy to say ‘ah they’re just like that, ignore them’ rather than hold them to account for saying potentially harmful things.
Yeah, I'd listen to her on 'how to source your joy' or exploring one's creativity and dreams etc

As far as opinions go though, the Cass review that closed Tavistock was pretty clear on which ones were harmful
(if that is even what RM is talking about - I do not know)

This just in from the internet - the number of opinions changed today by people on the world wide web arguing and crosstalking each other is zero

We can add that to the total number of opinions changed (which is also zero)

I'll be back when I figure out the total

Until Roisin Murphy was playing at Glastonbury 2022 the only thing I knew about her was typing 'Roisin' always brought up 'Murphy' on predictive text. She was wearing flares at Glasto and came across like a mammy who decided to be a popstar.

what is wrong with puberty blockers?
If they do the job without dangerous side effects what is the problem?
IF they are safe and I understood how they worked I would have taken them at that age.

what is wrong with puberty blockers?
If they do the job without dangerous side effects what is the problem?
The short answer is that they are not well understood at a clinical level - according to an independent report
At Tavistock they were routinely prescribed as a matter of course, when other avenues of treatment, and causes of dysphoria were discounted or dismissed.

It's all in the Cass Report that closed the Tavistock Centre because it was failing children
1693014298881.png

The short answer is that they are not well understood at a clinical level - according to an independent report
At Tavistock they were routinely prescribed as a matter of course, when other avenues of treatment, and causes of dysphoria were discounted or dismissed.

It's all in the Cass Report that closed the Tavistock Centre because it was failing children
View attachment 17522
OK - I need to read up on this but the issue should be is the medicine safe?

Knowing what I know now, on the whole I was better off as I was before puberty. Gender identity might not be the only reason for taking blockers.

Followed by

Outrageous - FIFA and the Spanish government need to fuck this bastard out of it.
Why reignite a bitter row and escalate it into major world news after the winning the World Cup?
Bullying on an epic scale.

was watching the whole thing live on one screen while doing other things on another screen, and even at the time, while not really paying full attention, I thought, whoa, that one dude is getting a bit handsy. but the subsequent saga is pretty depressing. the players are dead right, they should burn it to the ground sooner than let this guy keep his job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back