+++++++++++++++++++

GT promotions presents:

From Olympia Washington, U.S.A.

CALVIN JOHNSON :)

+SPECIAL GUESTS

Sun. SEPT.14THWhelans

DAYTIME SHOW

Adm:€7 doors 2pm

The legend that is Calvin Johnson makes his solo debut in Dublin on Sunday the 14th of September in Whelans of Wexford st. The charismatic frontman behind the legendary Beat Happening (not forgetting Halo Benders and Dub Narcotic Sound System) and the founder of Olympia's highly influential K records will be playing songs from his solo album "What Was Me" (KLP117) which was released earlier this year. Always one to keep it raw and real, Calvin will be armed with just an acoustic guitar and that baritone voice. This promises to be one of the most interestingly entertaining gigs to end the summer. Don’t miss the chance to see a legend at play (it'll be fun!).

cool! he's meant to be good live!
i've only heard a lil bit of beat happening but it sounded cool. viva la international pop underground!

beat happening are so over-rated.the halo benders were quite good though.will this gig be any use though, just him on his own?the guy cant sing.if he brought modest mouse with him.now that would be interesting.

hermie said:
beat happening are so over-rated.the halo benders were quite good though.will this gig be any use though, just him on his own?the guy cant sing.if he brought modest mouse with him.now that would be interesting.

I really like his voice.

But I guess it's one of those Stephen Pastel kinda sounds that you'll either love or hate. His solo stuff I've heard is pretty much more of the same, nice acoustic strumming with that big barrel of a voice.

Little Wing and The Blow are my K favourites at the moment... or the All Girl Summer Fun Band... who I know will start irritating the crap out of me any day now.

EM PEE TREE here...

http://www.kpunk.com/Audio_Video/index.html

dudley said:
i'm one of the 'special guests' at this.
come see the corpo at 2 playing the blackforts gallery then scoot up here to see me on me own. eeep.

who elses playin? :confused: Goodtime Johann i suppose seein as he organised it...
it's gonna be one of them back and over days, i know it! ;)

the chapter on Calvin in "route 666: the road to nirvana" makes him sound cool. but in that "heavier than heaven" cobain biog he comes off like a self righeous dick? what gives?
Is his voice deeper than Lee Hazlewoods?

goin to a gig on a sunday at 2 p.m. - will be strange!! :confused: .|..| :)

full line up:
========

CALVIN JOHNSON

(Beat Happening, K Records)
With special guests

Goodtime John (solo)
Dudley (Dudley Corporation)
Sun. SEP 14 Whelans

DAYTIME SHOW
Adm:7 yokes doors 2pm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back