Cable street gig - brigada double booking update (1 Viewer)

The Irish Punk world will hold it's breath for the hip hop promoter to get back to us on this most sensitive of issues
;>

yeh sure a non-profit book shop being shafted out of over 600pounds is nothing to worry about.

we were asked to put on brigada on sat 30th dublin as they were over to do a benefit gig on fri 29th in belfast.

we agreed

we made up posters/ fliers etc and told lots of people.

then we were told there was a derry gig on same night.

we told brigada we were concerned about this and wanted to know story.

they informed us they would honour gig in dublin.

check out the old thread below on cable street new band added for timeline of this if ya want.

story as i know it re gig in dublin.

seems there is two organisers involved in this.the lad from belfast,who i believe made the initial contact with brigada and the organise member from derry who made the flight arrangements.
as far as the lad from belfast was concerned he was booking the gigs for the band,on the understanding that the belfast gig is/was a benefit for just books,i think?no mention of a derry gig at this stage.
he had heard of the cable st anniversary gig and thought it would be a good gig for brigada to play.only after making the booking did he then find out about a derry gig.
by this time the band had been informed they would play in dublin and the posters etc for this gig had been made.
then the organisers in derry had then contacted belfast to tell them they had booked a gig in derry on the same night.
the band was informed of this and decided to play the only gig they were aware of at this time which was dublin.

i hope this clears up any questions regarding the gigs organisation.i'm sure the dublin/belfast lads would not have booked brigada had they been aware of the gig in derry.sorry for any confusion.

I was at the Just Books meeting in July when the discussion on bringing Brigada over for a benefit was tabled. Colin I'm sure form having been involved in gigs before that 1 single gig in Belfast would very rarely come even close to covering 600 quids worth of flights, let alone having money left for fundraising.

Just Books paid for the flights on the understanding that proceeds from gigs would go toward initially covering costs of flights and then toward the benefit, as that was the intended purpose of the whole shebang.

Just Books are left in the position of having to salvage whatever they can from this now.

For what it's worth Bohs (and I'm not having a go), having the posters made up for a gig, which was already planned anyway before Brigada were even coming to Ireland, and a non-profit bookshop forking out over 600 quid on flights with the hope of raising funds is slightly different.

so what exactly do you want me to do?

please be specific as i have a full time job, a family and a life to lead and can do without this hassle whan i was merely
asked to put a band on and i agreed, this is not my mess.

i am making nothing from this gig. so tell me please.

The whole things a mess. Maybe after costs are covered etc. in Dublin any extra money can be sent to Just Books to help towards covering the flights? Just an idea.
I'd imagine that's the very least that could be done considering the only reason they're in the country in the first place is because Just Books are footing the bill.

by this time the band had been informed they would play in dublin and the posters etc for this gig had been made.
then the organisers in derry had then contacted belfast to tell them they had booked a gig in derry on the same night.
the band was informed of this and decided to play the only gig they were aware of at this time which was dublin.

i hope this clears up any questions regarding the gigs organisation.i'm sure the dublin/belfast lads would not have booked brigada had they been aware of the gig in derry.sorry for any confusion.
I'd have thought it should be a bit more of a priority to play the gigs of the people who are actually paying for them to be in Ireland in the first place though? Especially when the whole purpose of JustBooks paying for the flights was to raise funds for the nonprofit bookshop.

It is a mess, hopefully something can be salvaged from it.

Where are the flights from? I may be missing something, but surely they'd have to fly here regardless of where they were playing. Is there any reason why the band can't just pay Just Books the cost of the flights?

listen,i was merely telling the story as i was told by the lad who booked the gigs.as i understand it the lads in derry hadn't told belfast there was a gig or i'm sure he wouldn't have booked another.
there's no point in coming on here having a pop at others when it was in fact nothing to do with them other than helping out someone who was asking for a gig.
as you said,the cable st gig has been organised for quite a while now and i had pointed this out to the guy who booked belfast,telling him that perhaps he should look at another weekend to bring over brigada.

Now come on Colin I didn't come on here to have a pop at anyone, I've 470 odd posts on here, I'm not some troll who jumped in to start shit.

Poor communications seems to have caused this whole situation and now what's left is that Just Books is looking to at least break-even on what was supposed to be a fundraiser. That's just how it is. I don't think it's unreasonable for JustBooks to be a bit miffed at the whole situation.

seems fairly obvious it would make more sense for them to play the derry gig, apart from anything else there's plenty of other bands for the dublin gig, and brigada were added on after the main thing was already planned it seemed.
or what ronan said, why should just books still be paying the whole price of the flights if they're not going to get what they expected? hardly fair to have an independent bookshop paying for flights for a band to come and play someone else's gig.

this is really getting ridiculous.

if just books have a problem internally with communication re this tour they should sort it out internally.

if just books have a problem with brigada they should sort it out with them.

if you are suggesting that brigada are ripping off just books for 600 euro then thats an extremely serious allegation and one i wouldnt make lightly and you should again raise that with them.

if just books want the organisers of the gig in dublin to take a specific line of action can they please spell it out today and the reason why they think we should follow this line of action.

but..........................

otherwise please stop making vague and random posts on here which suggest no answer to anything.

i have booked flights many times for bands on my credit card that i have asked to play in ireland, restarts, la fraction, fleas and lice, los fastidios, the stagebottles, the oppressed etc etc.

never once have i double booked one of these bands,the money from gigs goes to cover flights, then transport costs, then other expenses like advrtising etc then anything left goes to the band thmselvs. thats how its done. rarely is there money over - transport, food etc around ireland is expensive and seems to be being overlooked here also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back