buying laptops on ebay (1 Viewer)

nofunchee

Website
www.myspace.com
anyone ever bought a laptop on ebay from the states? is there any potential problems i should be aware of? i found one that looks good and high spec. the seller has a good rep and guarantees that i'll pay no import tax as an irish buyer. it all sounds too good to be true...

Power supply might be an issue. Also he can't guarantee you won't have to pay import tax.

Do you have a link?

anyone who claims you won't have to pay import tax either means the laptop is already in the EU, or they'll refund it if you get caught.

Remember it'll probably have a US keyboard layout too.

i'd be looking at the dell outlet, aldi & lidl (really) & the offers on places like komplett.ie and dabs.ie.

there's always the apple refurb store too if you're feeling flash

Power supply might be an issue. Also he can't guarantee you won't have to pay import tax.

Do you have a link?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1481&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

anyone who claims you won't have to pay import tax either means the laptop is already in the EU, or they'll refund it if you get caught.

Remember it'll probably have a US keyboard layout too.

i'd be looking at the dell outlet, aldi & lidl (really) & the offers on places like komplett.ie and dabs.ie.

there's always the apple refurb store too if you're feeling flash

i saw one in aldi today and i've been looking at dell. but i want something durable and i've heard bad things about dell in this respect. dunno about aldi quality either. am i wrong do you reckon?

the one on ebay has an amd processor too, which i hear are meant to be better than intel.

what's the difference between a american/irish keyboard?

i saw one in aldi today and i've been looking at dell. but i want something durable and i've heard bad things about dell in this respect. dunno about aldi quality either. am i wrong do you reckon?

I've never had any problems with dell laptops to be honest. We use them in work and they're grand. Not sure about aldi / lidl build quality, but they usually can't be faulted for features.

the one on ebay has an amd processor too, which i hear are meant to be better than intel.
Depends on the processors your comparing, really...

what's the difference between a american/irish keyboard?
just little things like the @ and " being switched, but it can be annoying.

plus whoever is selling that is "QUARANTEEING" that you won't pay import tax..i don't know if thats a valid guarantee..

'Laptop' and 'durable' aren't really words that go together, they definitely tend to have more limited lifespans than desktops, but I think you'd be much better off going with something purchased in Ireland with a decent warranty in case anything does go wrong. I could be wrong but don't the Aldi/Lidl ones come with a three year warranty?

And Toshiba are not renowned for reliability, don't buy an IBM either, very pretty but their customer service is atrocious here - the stories I could tell.

I have a toshiba for work. not that durable. mind you, I carried mine wrapped up in a bike pannier...

Laura has a DELL that I bought almost three years ago, it's travelled quite a bit. no problem other than software issues and we haven't got round to reformatting the hard-drive

Yeah, if you get a Dell laptop, just format it straight away and do a fresh install of either Xp or your choice of OS. Dell clog their computers with so much crap its incredible. my Dell laptop is only a year old and its missing 4 keys already from the keyboard.. So be warned..

A friend of mine bought a Dell last year. It's a 17" screen so it ain't small but it's held together quite well. He's selling it on soon and it was still in warranty so he got it serviced for free there a few weeks back. The thing's like new now. Dell outlet has some great value. Jaguarcompsys.ie are good aswell as all the others mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back