buying drums (1 Viewer)

old said:
Big regret: when we were going on tour in US in 2002 I had agreed to buy a ludwig clear vistalite kit for $750. I was 2nd to top bid in Ebay and the highest bidder had pulled out. Decided against it due to i) insuffucient funds and ii) Italian pal told me they were shite. I shoulda bought the things. They're great! Had a go on this kit last September when we were playing with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up.
ha! i'm trying to wrestle the idea of buying a set of these out of my head right now. the biggest argument i have (which i just made up) is that they can't possible sound as good as the vintage kits... you're saying they sound very nice? to be honest, i'd prefer to buy something new... there's a site dedicated to these drums... http://www.vistalites.com/

egg_ said:
Is a mounted tom one on its own stand rather than on a pole sticking out of the bass drum? What about those "floor" toms that hang off the ride stand?
worst invention ever.

egg_ said:
Really?
Don't they ring for longer? Don't you think that's nice?
it's more of a physical/playbility thing. the fact they're attached to the fide stand has nothing to do with how they sound. you're talking like a drummer man, cut it out. ;)

Hanging floor tom problem: They fall over.
I thought the vistalites sounded great. Was a 70s kit. The new ones are mad pricey. I got my Ludwig kit for £550 from Beat It. I think Eric Mound bought his there too. Both from 1965. Worth giving them a call. They have hanging tom mounted on bass drum (I think all 60s Ludwigs do) but you could just use a snare stand instead?

hag said:
the fact they're attached to the fide stand has nothing to do with how they sound
You sure? Stephen-out-of-Stoat's floor tom rings out much better if you balance it on one leg, I thought hanging it off a stand might have a similar effect (cos he can't balance it on one leg while playing the rest of the kit). Maybe not though

old said:
Hanging floor tom problem: They fall over.
I thought the vistalites sounded great. Was a 70s kit. The new ones are mad pricey. I got my Ludwig kit for £550 from Beat It. I think Eric Mound bought his there too. Both from 1965. Worth giving them a call. They have hanging tom mounted on bass drum (I think all 60s Ludwigs do) but you could just use a snare stand instead?
true.

no they dont fall over, if you position one of the legs directly under the drum and have half decent hardware. they're mostly used in 14" jazz sized kits and the advantage is that you have much more freedom with the angle and positioning - it can sit much closer to other drums - and there's no threads taking the load which can wear away (most difficult thing to replace EVER).

i've had my 16" free-standing floor tom fall over way more than my 14" suspended one (which has, in 8 years, never fallen over).

hag, there's a guy called robert mcseveny who sells stuff out of his house in a town called coleraine. he's very cheap and very friendly and i'd recommend calling him. you can't really play stuff at his house but you can take it back if it's not what you're looking for... course that's easier when you live in belfast than it is from dublin.

i'm not a fan of the vistalite sound myself.

I've only used borrowed kits with 16" hanging toms.
Maybe the lugs or stands were shit, but I don't have too much confidence in 'em.

booom. tick. boom. tick. boom. tick. boom. boom. tick. ticadick. tick. boom. tick. boom. tick. boom boom tick tick a dick tick. boom tick.

old said:
Big regret: when we were going on tour in US in 2002 I had agreed to buy a ludwig clear vistalite kit for $750. I was 2nd to top bid in Ebay and the highest bidder had pulled out. Decided against it due to i) insuffucient funds and ii) Italian pal told me they were shite. I shoulda bought the things. They're great! Had a go on this kit last September when we were playing with Jim Yoshii Pile-Up.

I swear by the old ludwigs. I bought a bunch of them on ebay usa a while back. I got a 1974 13" rack tom for $100 (+ 70e shipping), a 1966 16" floor tom ( + 80e shipping) and a brand new 14" x 6 1/2" yellow vistalite snare for $289 (paid extra 120e on customs but still way cheaper than uk price) These drums sound amazing live and studio. New vistalites (re-issue's) are much better than the old ones for one reason - the old ones had rounded bearing edges which made them hard to tune and even harder to record. The new ones are the exact same but with 45 degree bearing edges making them very responsive to tuning thus way easier to get a great sound.

I know a guy selling a vistalite kit in Wales. He's looking for $1000 (he is american but has this kit in wales for when his band are touring europe)

Its a 70's vistalite black/smoke vistalite kit. Immaculate condition. 24 x 14 kick, 13" rack tom, 16" floor tom. All original hardware including ludwig tom mount. Ive played these and they are the job! I would have bought them only im skint. It broke my heart to say no. You can get in touch with him through his myspace below. His name is joel.

http://www.myspace.com/zombieswantmybrain

543115310_l.jpg

Oh yeah, here is a pic of my drums before i got the vistalite snare.

279051385_l.jpg

Here, slightly off topic but i just gotta phone call off one of the lads and when i was playin' a gig on someone elses kit Saturday i scratched the bass drum and supposedly damaged the snare stand on purpose and now singer of said band is ragin' and wants to "go" for me.Is he a knobhead?

Yes!
Just blame the engineer and his mic placement.

Those vistalites are pretty cool looking but they crack pretty easily if you tighten the lugs too much and\or use excessive pounding! Pretty cool for filling up with water and dropping in some goldfish though

ElRoadio said:
Yes!
Just blame the engineer and his mic placement.

Those vistalites are pretty cool looking but they crack pretty easily if you tighten the lugs too much and\or use excessive pounding! Pretty cool for filling up with water and dropping in some goldfish though

Hitting em hard aint gona crack them. Vistalites are famous because of hard hitting ie: bonham. Dropping them on the ground will crack them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back