buying an album on a whim (1 Viewer)

the departed

i often buy stuff that i think looks nice. tis deadly when you discover a hidden gem.

picked up boduf songs yesterday cos the cover was nice. and lo and behold its a fantastic album. same thing happened with asobi seksu and volt.

anybody else 'judge an album by its cover' and buy based on the artwork?

i often buy stuff that i think looks nice. tis deadly when you discover a hidden gem.

picked up boduf songs yesterday cos the cover was nice. and lo and behold its a fantastic album. same thing happened with asobi seksu and volt.

anybody else 'judge an album by its cover' and buy based on the artwork?

I bought an album by some band from Denmark that I heard of through efterklang's label last night. I can't even remember their name.

I do this a lot too, but only because i'm non specific and dont know my music. More hits than misses, but the misses sting.

Last two were Low, Trust and Claus Ogerman, Piano & Violin Works. Both great.

There's a couple free Low mp3's on facebook, nice stuff too. any suggestions as to the next low album i should purchase would be greatly appreciated.

I came across Karate a number of years ago when I found their first album in a bargan bin. Cover looked interesting, only 2 quid. Music = awsome.

To be honest, I'd prolly never do that for a full price album, only a bargan bin purchace.
Although, I did risk full price on The Music Tapes cos of a cool cover. Great album.

I do this a lot too, but only because i'm non specific and dont know my music. More hits than misses, but the misses sting.

There's a couple free Low mp3's on facebook, nice stuff too. any suggestions as to the next low album i should purchase would be greatly appreciated.

get the Christmas album, just cos of the time of year. You'll have the next month to indulge yerself on it.

Beyond that anything goes with Low as far as I'm concerned. The new one is great. The Great Destroyer is Great. Things we lost in the fire is great, etc ,etc

I don't have all their stuff and Trust is my favourite but the newest one "Drums And Guns" is good. Oh and seeing as we're approaching the season the "Christmas" is great.

I don't have all their stuff and Trust is my favourite but the newest one "Drums And Guns" is good. Oh and seeing as we're approaching the season the "Christmas" is great.

i have to find my copy of christmas!
i remember i found it a few weeks ago somewhere in the house and thinking, what a strange place to leave a cd and left it there ... doh

my favourite low album is "things we lost in the fire"

picked up boduf songs yesterday cos the cover was nice. and lo and behold its a fantastic album.

boduf songs is great. what album is it? i have the first one - i bought it on a whim - well actually because it was on kranky.

I bought Blue Cathedral by Comets on Fire one Christmas on a whim - i had vouchers for HMV and I couldn't find anything I wanted. Amazing band/album

hmmm. id say if you can find 'a lifetime of temporary relief' then youre flying. its been deleted so the internet is where youd be looking.
also the low and dirty 3 album is lovely. nice cover of down by the river..

i bought brainiac's "electroshock for president" in virgin cus it was only a fiver and i needed my fix of buying a cd.
got home and listened to it, thought it was weird and strange and brilliant. then read in vox (?) timmy taylor had died the month earlier - i felt robbed.

id recommend all their albums

I actually bought the Low Christmas album on a whim, had a few quid, heard they were great, I love Christmas albums and it turned out to be a fantastic deal at €7.oo. Great album. Great band.

Get 'Things We Lost In The Fire' next.

You can have my Lifetime Of Temporary Relief box if you like. I don't think it's up to much.

A year or two ago I Bought Rachels Handwriting and The Sea and the Bells mainly due to the covers, but also cause a girl with black hair down to her waist seemed to be deciding between them and a couple of Galaxie 500 cds.

I already owned the Galaxie 500 ones, so went for Rachels.
Very nice they are too...

I've often bought albums by bands I have other stuff by - on a whim.

Blind buying - usually do this with lounge / library / funk type stuff.
Hit and miss. Some sleeves can sway me and early 1970s is also good for the funk.
The presence of a good cover version will swing it sometimes.

Anything vaguely 'Sound Effects' / 'Test Card' will get picked up.

you should get the audio book of "how not to be a no-friend loser cockmaster fanny-dodger"

Don't buy this album because of its cover.

261.jpg

It's a steamer.

Actually I also got it on the basis of his Mogwai "Tracy" remix.

These are two records I got on a whim/coz of the cover:

Jackson_Browne_-_Lawyers_in_Love.jpg

Was cheap. Didn't like it much.

disco_iron1.jpg

Liked it probably more than I expected to. Gave it to superman off thumped coz I thought he'd like it. I believe he did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back