Buying a drum kit! Advice please!! (1 Viewer)

Bastard Eoin

Website
Visit site
OK, so I've been drumming on and off for about two years now and I think it's about time I make the ultimate commitment and buy my own kit.

However, as guitarist (I know, I know!) this is completely unchartered waters for me so I'm looking for some advice in regards to what type of kit and brand etc. I should go for.

I want to get something reasonably decent that isn't going to crumble under my immense drumming power :)rolleyes:) but also something affordable, the 500yo mark say.

I only use one rack tom and a floor tom as well the kick and snare (obviously!). Is it possible to buy just what I need or do I have to fork out for the works?

In saying that, if anyone has any spare shells that they want to get rid of I'd gladly take them off your hands.

Cheers folks!

theres always a bunch of decent pearl export kits going on adverts.ie..

there was one there (might still be there now) last month that the guy had refinished himself. and he was selling for around the 300 mark.

you can pick up decent shells pretty cheap. but it might be worth spending the extra few quid on new skins..

also, cymbals....cymbals are the killler really. but i supposed cheapo sabian cymbals would do you just fine. in which case, adverts.ie is still your man.

Don't buy new. Thats the main thing. Nothing depreciates like a new drum kit, especially a pricey one.

A second hand pearl export wouldn't be the worst option; big toms and easy to tune. Other than that, in your price range, I'd probably go with a yamaha or a sonor - stage custom kits by yamaha should be around 500 second hand but they're fusion size - 10, 12" toms and a 14" floor - tighter, jazzier feel. Force 3000 by sonor should be around that price on the second hand as well, but i don't know nothin about 'em other than that the shells are birch which is a decent enough wood.

On the cymbals thing, try not to spend too little - there really is nothing worse than an entry level cymbal - sabian b8s, those new shitty zildjan ones. If you can even stretch to B8 pro's by sabian, or whatever the next level beyond paiste's pst are, you'll notice the difference in terms of attack, sustain and general tone. Second hand, they won't break the bank.

Personally, I would pass on a kit that was nice that had shitty cymbals, because you might as well not have them, the good they'll do ya.

Look around for a bit before you dive in, see what stuff is actually worth, buy and sell and drumming ireland have stuff on them often and gumtree.ie is worth a look...

peas.

Yeah that kit looks decent, by the looks of it its the same one as kidd blunt have (the black one not their new one) Id go for it. Oh and dont worry too much about being able to tune drums, no one really knows how to do that...

Just realised ye can zoom in on the pic, yeah its the same alright plus an extra floor tom! I reckon you're the two floor tom kind at heart

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back