1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser push notifications

Discussion in 'Admin' started by pete, Apr 21, 2017.

1. pete

pete chronic procrastinator Staff Member

Nov 14, 1999
    Ratings:
    +13,818 / 363 / -0
    The more observant chrome, Firefox and safari users among you will have noticed the new prompt to enable notifications. This will give you all the notifications you normally receive (quotes, likes, private messages) in a convenient browser alert EVEN WHEN YOU'RE ON A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WEBSITE.

I know, right?

This has taken a stupid amount of time to get working properly (at least I think it is anyway) so please use it.

If you have already declined notifications and now realise this was a stupid mistake on your part then worry not - you can easily backtrack. In Chrome, click where it says "Secure" beside the address bar then change the permission for Notifications to "Always ask" and reload the page. In Firefox it's something similar but I can't remember right now. In safari who cares because who in their right mind uses that?

2. pete

Nov 14, 1999
    Ratings:
    +13,818 / 363 / -0
    This is already in place for articles posted at https://thumped.com in a much more general way, but you have to allow forum notifications separately here because it's explicitly tied to your forum account and activity. Also, reasons.

3. Theseus Mock

Theseus Mock Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Ratings:
    +1,249 / 61 / -0
    Push notifications can get fucked.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. pete

Nov 14, 1999
    Ratings:
    +13,818 / 363 / -0