brass instruments (1 Viewer)

Shittu

Website
www.shittu.com
brass instruments- i reckon a few of you guys on here probably play them

Thinking of learning to play one. Something not crazy difficult.not interested in saxophone if that is a b instrument( cant get a sound outta that) but maybe trumpet, mute trumpet or french horn or something like that. Whats easiest to play?

Whats that instrument that burt bacharach always uses- probably most famously on "close to you"

that would be the flügelhorn and the sax, brass and woodwind combined.

Burt Bacharach's band uses two horn players to maximum effect. The combination of a brass player (trumpet or flügelhorn) and a woodwind player (tenor, alto or soprano sax, alto or B-flat flute) allows a variety of tonal colors. You can easily cop the signature Bacharach sound of doubled flügelhorns by doubling the flügelhorn with an alto flute, producing the required warm, articulate timbre commonly found in his songs.

http://onstagemag.com/ar/performance_arranging_brass_tactics/

One o' the good things about the trumpet is theres a shitload of tuition materials available for it the difficulty is gettin' a sound out of it. I don't play one but have in the past and to get anythin' decent out of it you gotta know how to shape your lips n move your tongue to get specific keys n things.

The sax (or sax style instruments) is good cos ya dont gotta do as much of that. Ya just put it too your lips n blow cos its got that clarinet style mouthpiece, much easier.

I think that once you manage to get a sound out of any of the trumpet, trombone (my sexy favourite), saxaphone, bugle etc, it gets a little easier from there. Good start. Also you gotta learn your circular breathing. Personally, I haven't been successful as I usually fall to the floor like a ripe little rasperry before I get a note out of any of them. I play the root a toot toot woodeny flute though, that's easy.

Saxamaphones are the sleaziest instrument ever.

I dunno about brass instruments, but i'd love to play a double bass.

those guys are cool

de-doo-doo-doooo-dooooo
de-doo-doo-doooo-dooooo

I love that riff, thats going to be in my head all day now,

wheres my DEMOMOMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO??

FancyGoods said:

those guys are cool

de-doo-doo-doooo-dooooo
de-doo-doo-doooo-dooooo

yeah gimmie your cd or else
the_mi1.jpg

(sorry for runing your thread shittu)
Jaker said:
I love that riff, thats going to be in my head all day now,

wheres my DEMOMOMMOOOOOOOOOOOOO??

oh yeah sorry shittu, just for the record, pictures don't scare me, come on Sunday and I'll give you one, sounds weird but there you go

remember that greased up guy in the lost boys. legendary saxophone player.

FancyGoods said:

those guys are cool

de-doo-doo-doooo-dooooo
de-doo-doo-doooo-dooooo

maybe al, just maybe i'll be there

no.1 fan, Misery style.
Jaker said:
oh yeah sorry shittu, just for the record, pictures don't scare me, come on Sunday and I'll give you one, sounds weird but there you go

I gave up trumpet for the reeds (clarinet & saxes). Giving it socks on a trumpet style mouthpiece made me get mini-migraines
so avoid if yr prone to pressure headaches

If you wanna learn a brass instument, I suggest you start of with something with a medium size mouthpiece. I played the sousaphone, tuba, baritone and trumpet when I was in school. Not a great sound on the Sousaphone. Was invented John Phillip Sousa and is mainly used for marching. If you want to learn trumpet, start of with either a baritone or english horn. Will be a lot easier to go to trumpet or tuba than a trombone would be. Same mouth piece size, but unless you get yerself a valve trombone, you won't learn the fingerings.
If ya wanna learn a woodwind instument like sax, start off with the clarinet. Is cheaper, more quiet, same fingering and apperature.
bing

Bing said:
english horn.

I assume by that you mean some sort of trumpet and not cor anglais, which is an alto oboe and bitchtastically evil to play...?

Clarinet is the way to go alright, real easy to start on once you get a sound out and you can move on to saxomaphones pretty soon too. Waltons and some other places do hire on this stuff for learners, dodgy instruments but usable for beginners.

Moving from brass to woodwinds is a bit tricky 'cos your embouchure is totally different, can be done but weakens you on both types in the long run, many jazzheads do it mind you but they're maaad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back