Bored In Work 570 (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Ridiculed in the past" - the key question is by whom? Critics like Carl Wilson or the broader popular music press.

Collins has always been criticised by the more precious journalists. By and large he'll get no credit for anything he's done - be it some passable solo tracks [see Face Value LP], his cracking drumming skills and the way he transformed Genesis.
Reading back on it I accept your point that it wasn't a specific dig. Although Wilson didn't help by just linking to another article and not expanding on the point.

Well his point, as I see it, is that you don't have to look hard to find Collins being used as a punchline in the past but this has changed somewhat in recent times.

Teen-pop, dance music and metal have all received some critical acclaim in the recent past. It's the likes of U2, Radiohead, Coldplay that seem to get sharp broadsides from all sides. Apart from the people buying the records.
Usually the exception though? U2, Radiohead and Coldplay have received criticism but also massive praise, didn't Q magazine alternate between U2, Radiohead and REM as best band in the world throughout the entire 90's?

If I was paid by The Slate to write an article on why I hate Sigur Ros I'd put a bit of effort into it and at least explain why I found their records boring and lacking musical merit. A post in a ratings thread won't get that indepth analysis across too well.

Well yeah i was just trying to find somewhere where you're dismissive of a band, rare enough. The article wasn't about the bands he was quickly dismissive of, it was about the National.

I've read this guy's book on Celine Dion (33 1/3 series) and it reads as one massive in-joke.

Ok fair enough, I know nothing about him at all so i'm only looking at this one article. It stuck out to me as articulating something i've been trying to understand for a long time; I have a lot of friends who are massive, MASSIVE National fans and everytime I listen to the National I can't fault them, it's 10/10 stuff. But at the same time I never have any urge to listen to them and trying to figure out why that is has been bugging me for a while.

"He walked quite confidently into our office as though he had a mission," she said, "and I think that was what alarmed me right off the bat." (Because no one who wants to be a teacher comes in with a good attitude? My guess is that the pressure cooker with wires sticking out of it might have also played a role in her alarm.) The man explained that he was upset with their misspelled sign and had just tried to blow it up for that reason. Didn't work, and you know what else?
After discussing his failed attempt to detonate his bomb, the man complained that the instructions he downloaded to make the bomb also had misspellings. [According to the director, he] implied that [she] and her employees should be concerned about the level of education children receive, given that his [bomb-making] instructions were rife with errors.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2013/05/oregon-man-tries-to-blow-up-misspelled-sign.html

On one hand, CALM DOWN YOU FUCKING DRAMA QUEEN, on the other hand HOLY FUCKING SHIT I WOULD CRAP MYSELF

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back