Bored In Work 570 (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's NoMeansNo's tour diary. From Dublin: "I was most impressed by one girl, dressed in something skimpy and orange, perhaps only marginally flattering, tottering back and forth from one side of the street to the other. She was holding up traffic."
Link

Vinyl re-issues for £300 a record

The first limited-edition repressings, three sought-after LPs of Bach sonatas played by the Hungarian violinist Johanna Martzy. They went on sale last November, priced at £300 apiece. The second reissue was the rare Mozart box set. A collection of the composer's complete Parisian work on seven discs, directed by Fernand Oubradous, and limited to 300 copies, it will cost you £2,495.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/25/pete-hutchison-interview-new-vinyl-recording

Photographer Gives Children Candy Then Takes It Away

ill Greenberg a.k.a ”The Manipulator” justifies her nickname well: in her exhibition ‘End Times’, the photographer would give children a lollypop and then quickly take it away. The photographs of crying children has kick-started heated debate about whether it is ethical to make children cry for the sake of art. Some argue that it’s rather sadistic, others, however, say it doesn’t harm kids at all – children cry all the time, and it’s their way of manipulating parents.
What do you think?

by TOM on May 27, 20132:19 pm

I dunno. He comes across a hater (blended with a hipster) who hasn't done his research very well. The Phil Collins dig is a dead giveaway. Even if you don't like Collins' music you can't ignore his drumming contributions to some "cool" records by the likes of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp. I also don't like his scornful and snide "crescendo rock" dismissal of U2 and Coldplay.

ps - I hate The National.

I dunno. He comes across a hater (blended with a hipster) who hasn't done his research very well. The Phil Collins dig is a dead giveaway. Even if you don't like Collins' music you can't ignore his drumming contributions to some "cool" records by the likes of Brian Eno and Robert Fripp. I also don't like his scornful and snide "crescendo rock" dismissal of U2 and Coldplay.

ps - I hate The National.

There's no dig at Phil Collins. His point is a broader one about music criticism in general with Phil Collins as a specific example of someone whose pop music was ridiculed in the past. Would you be of the opinion that in fact Phil Collins and the many other types of music mentioned ("Teen-pop, dance music, metal") have all received consistent critical acclaim in the past?

As for "crescendo rock" that's a purposely reductive term in the context of this article, he doesn't like those bands and that's how he dismisses them. It's a somewhat accurate broad description of their music in a putdown kind of way. I mean, I didn't find your dismissal of Sigur Ros in the 'rate all the albums' thread particularly well crafted or in depth but I was also aware that wasn't your intent.

ill Greenberg a.k.a ”The Manipulator” justifies her nickname well: in her exhibition ‘End Times’, the photographer would give children a lollypop and then quickly take it away. The photographs of crying children has kick-started heated debate about whether it is ethical to make children cry for the sake of art. Some argue that it’s rather sadistic, others, however, say it doesn’t harm kids at all – children cry all the time, and it’s their way of manipulating parents.
What do you think?

by TOM on May 27, 20132:19 pm
More than any moral issues the big problem with that project is the horrible photoshopping.
end-times-jill-greenberg-9.jpg

There is no need to airbrush and high pass filter a fucking toddler!!!!

She was actually arrested for child abuse a few years ago. Americans are fucking weird.

There's no dig at Phil Collins. His point is a broader one about music criticism in general with Phil Collins as a specific example of someone whose pop music was ridiculed in the past. Would you be of the opinion that in fact Phil Collins and the many other types of music mentioned ("Teen-pop, dance music, metal") have all received consistent critical acclaim in the past?

As for "crescendo rock" that's a purposely reductive term in the context of this article, he doesn't like those bands and that's how he dismisses them. It's a somewhat accurate broad description of their music in a putdown kind of way. I mean, I didn't find your dismissal of Sigur Ros in the 'rate all the albums' thread particularly well crafted or in depth but I was also aware that wasn't your intent.

"Ridiculed in the past" - the key question is by whom? Critics like Carl Wilson or the broader popular music press.

Collins has always been criticised by the more precious journalists. By and large he'll get no credit for anything he's done - be it some passable solo tracks [see Face Value LP], his cracking drumming skills and the way he transformed Genesis.
Reading back on it I accept your point that it wasn't a specific dig. Although Wilson didn't help by just linking to another article and not expanding on the point.

Teen-pop, dance music and metal have all received some critical acclaim in the recent past. It's the likes of U2, Radiohead, Coldplay that seem to get sharp broadsides from all sides. Apart from the people buying the records.

I've read this guy's book on Celine Dion (33 1/3 series) and it reads as one massive in-joke.

If I was paid by The Slate to write an article on why I hate Sigur Ros I'd put a bit of effort into it and at least explain why I found their records boring and lacking musical merit. A post in a ratings thread won't get that indepth analysis across too well.

More than any moral issues the big problem with that project is the horrible photoshopping.
end-times-jill-greenberg-9.jpg

There is no need to airbrush and high pass filter a fucking toddler!!!!

She was actually arrested for child abuse a few years ago. Americans are fucking weird.

I didn't actually look at any of the photos, I just liked the concept

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back