Borderline : cunts? (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
I've just heard that Borderline Records in Temple bar won't stock a friends bands new album because they don't carry "local acts"

Isn't that a bit unusual?

They have a large Rory Gallagher and Thin Lizzy section after all.

Why would a shop have a policy like this?

because lots of independently released local music is completely unknown and doesn't sell and takes up their shop space?

ie - there is 0 in reward having 10 copies of some album that they will make maybe 2 euro per copy on over 6 months

makes sense to me!

Ha yeah, that piraty looking chap in there really grinds my gears. Made a big deal out of it but took two of our cds. I went back a month later and he snorted "huh, sold one of them", as if it was a miracle. It nearly killed him to take the €2.50 out of the till and give it to me.

I suppose...

I thought most record shops stocked Irish acts though- the way Road and Tower do

I figured if Tower do it, then Borderline definately would.

I figured wrong I suppose

Going out on a limb here, but I reckon if someone was looking for local stuff they would immediately go to either Tower or Road. Both have made space for this stuff and clearly have an interest in promoting it. I dunno why people freakout about getting their cd into a million shops all within 10 minutes walk of eachother.

because lots of independently released local music is completely unknown and doesn't sell and takes up their shop space?

ie - there is 0 in reward having 10 copies of some album that they will make maybe 2 euro per copy on over 6 months

makes sense to me!
Here, not trying to be thick here, but why dont they buy one or two copies of said album? Is that not an option then?
If they sell fuck all of them, they only need to have a couple of them there.

Just thinking if they can't get stocked in this kind of shop... then they are not really going to get a look in anywhere.

Probably in case an average joe who doesn't normally frequent record shops wanders in looking for it.

Ha yeah, that piraty looking chap in there really grinds my gears.

familyguywhatreallygrindsmygears.jpg

To be honest you're better off having your CD in just a couple of shops. At least that way, if you sell a few copies the shops won't think of you as a waste of shelf space. It's better to sell 10 copies in two shops that 2 copies in twenty shops; especially as you won't really collect the money until they all sell or they hand you back your CDs.

Probably right

I thought blanket coverage of all record shops would help shift copies..eventually... but obviously this leads to a stockpile of unsold records

Im surprised at Borderline though as they sell mainly metal/punk sort of stuff

I imagined they'd be one of the ones to champion the local scene

have you been in borderline anytime in the last 10 years?
i don't think that place is championing anything
it's like walking into a funeral

haha a poor choice of words- i only go in when theyre having another record sale , hoping they've put something good in the bargain bin by accident

I think i was swayed into thinking it'd be Dublin/Irish music friendly because Motley used to drink in the foggy

"back in the day"

When they were DTK I bought Lush's Gala thinking it was a new album [as opposed to three 12" singles I already had, cobbled together]. I realised my mistake outside the Abbey Mall and went back in to exchange it. I'd say no more than one minute had elapsed since I bought it but he* refused point blank to exchange it.

He* used DJ in Fibbers around 1992. Fond of playing Bodycount.

Tell us what to do
FUCK YOU!

* Joe Strummer lookalike. Paul?

Remember when Borderline had the second shop off Grafton St?
Also had a separate vinyl shop c1993 - 1994. Dave and Julie Road used work there around then.

When they were DTK I bought Lush's Gala thinking it was a new album [as opposed to three 12" singles I already had, cobbled together]. I realised my mistake outside the Abbey Mall and went back in to exchange it. I'd say no more than one minute had elapsed since I bought it but he* refused point blank to exchange it.

He* used DJ in Fibbers around 1992. Fond of playing Bodycount.

Tell us what to do
FUCK YOU!

* Joe Strummer lookalike. Paul?

Remember when Borderline had the second shop off Grafton St?
Also had a separate vinyl shop c1993 - 1994. Dave and Julie Road used work there around then.

Showing your age with DTK! Me too. Can't remember the fellas name that worked there with Derek & Motley but he was a mad Iggy Pop nut...used to play in a band called Bend Sinister?! Anyway...similar tale of woe in bringing back a scratched copy of Ultra Vivid Scene's first album THE SAME DAY!! Gutted at having to make two trips into town & he refused to replace it...even though I had a receipt. Swines.

I'm still lamenting the passing of Freak Out on Sth. William St.

Do they own the building they're in? If not, I'd say the rent costs an arm and a leg, and I can't see a few sales a day covering that. Good that they've retained their couldn't give a fuck spirit though isn''t it? What with Temple Bar a big can of piss and all that. Have they retained the huge amount of bootleg casettes they used to stock? So many questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back