bonjour, ola ,etc etc (1 Viewer)

I is John: there's no easy way anyway that's for sure. I found it best to tackle spanish by using the internet to explore as many facets of the language as possible. as I said before the grammar is very regular so it was easy to learn. it just took lots of time and work really. lots of repetition. listening to stuff over and over. reading stuff and keeping lists of verbs or nouns etc. looking them up regularly. trying to figure out how to translate your thoughts into another language etc.

after all that I have a good grasp of the grammar but pretty poor listening skills; my girlfriend just moved to some remote part of peru and worked where nobody spoke english for about six months. her grammar can be ropey, but she can chat away to almost anyone. so immersion is highly recommended as well...

www.tandemcity.com is a good website if you're looking for language exchange partners/penpals.

If I had the choice I'd rather spend my time getting a language I did til Leaving Cert up to a decent/higher standard than struggle from scratch with a whole new language.

cheers folks, i was leaning towards the spanish, partly because i heard it was easier(which seems to be the general opinion on here), i think the fact that it will be all pretty new to me ill help a lot, ive also got two mates who speak spanish so i think im gonna have a go at that. so apart from all talk,(which i bet i wont find in my library) anyone got any other suggestions as to good learning programs. (god my spelling is crap im so tired)
adios
hasta louwaygo........................

www.studyspanish.com - the pronunciation and grammar sections in this site are a good starting point; it's worth printing out the grammar sections (they're nice and short) so you can read them on the bus or wherever.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/ - I haven't used this much but there are loads of videos/exercises/games etc. so it's worth a look.

http://spanish.about.com/ - another spanish resource
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/news/ - noticias en español

buy (or torrent) michel thomas' beginner spanish course. it should be an eight hour course. sure you could pick it up around dublin. I've seen the price vary a lot so look around. it's an interesting method; I listened to it a lot, and I thought it was pretty effective.

there are the pimsleur audio courses as well; their approach is less structural and more focused on breaking down conversations and repeating elements of the language as spoken by native speakers. not nearly as engaging as michel thomas, but useful nonetheless to get a clearer idea of correct, native pronunciation. although... if memory serves correctly, it's latin american spanish. that's no big deal though. you should be able to torrent this stuff very easily.

buena suerte!

wordrefence.com is also handy if you're looking for discussion on a particular topic, though the dictionary is dodge.

I find the best way to learn is watching latinamerican telenovelas. They speak really slowly and clearly. i'm sure you can find some online. rebelde is a personal favourite. plus they're gas.

9 months on, how is everyone getting on with their language learning?

I bought a 4 cd Learn French thing in Lidl last week and I'm planning on starting it tomorrow. Not overly enthused with the idea of sitting here speaking French to myself all day though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back