bonjour, ola ,etc etc (1 Viewer)

Fairly impressive considering he was dead nearly 70 years when Laos became a French territory.

Wow, it's seems I shouldn't have trusted that toothless old woman in the Vientiane post office. It probably just had his name associated with it in some way. Surely the Bono Canal wasn't a lie too?

Looks like they've had a rail service since April this year. Welcome to the 1800s Laos!

After putting a good square two years into hating all things french it's looking like i'm finally gonna have to suck it up and finally learn the language properly; as the nipper started french school last week.

This means i have about a year before she becomes fluent and then nonchalantly disregards all things not french or french-speaking.

Including me.

And all the world outside of that cheese-eating colony of surrender-monkeys.

Anhyone know where i can download that all liungaphone bollox without having to pay for it?

I'd say i'd be grateful and all, but y'know. When in Rome....

Spic is easier than Frog if you ask me - it seems far more logical, though I'm sure French isn't half as illogical as English (especially when it comes to pronunciation) but I never had to learn English consciously so I can't really compare.

Spanish is still a lot more straightforward in my experience than learning French, though learning it did force all the French Leaving cert out of my head, or at least into a mutually inaccesible part of my brain.

On the other hand, most of French can be communicated by well utilised shrugs and grunts.

edit: Spanish opens up most of South America to you also... a good recommendation.

Spic is easier than Frog if you ask me - it seems far more logical, though I'm sure French isn't half as illogical as English (especially when it comes to pronunciation) but I never had to learn English consciously so I can't really compare.

Spanish is still a lot more straightforward in my experience than learning French, though learning it did force all the French Leaving cert out of my head, or at least into a mutually inaccesible part of my brain.

On the other hand, most of French can be communicated by well utilised shrugs and grunts.

edit: Spanish opens up most of South America to you also... a good recommendation.

and french opens up much africa and elderly vietnam to you

at least english doesnt have all that masculine and feminine nonsense

After putting a good square two years into hating all things french it's looking like i'm finally gonna have to suck it up and finally learn the language properly; as the nipper started french school last week.

This means i have about a year before she becomes fluent and then nonchalantly disregards all things not french or french-speaking.

Including me.

And all the world outside of that cheese-eating colony of surrender-monkeys.

Anhyone know where i can download that all liungaphone bollox without having to pay for it?

I'd say i'd be grateful and all, but y'know. When in Rome....
hey corey, you could torrent michel thomas' french. I used the spanish version. it's the same format for every language... a modelled classroom environment; there are two other 'students' on the recording. it was kind of annoying in some ways but strangely effective at getting a lot of grammar and structure into your head without any reading or writing. just listen to it over and over and over. useful, but probably best augmented with as much reading, writing and listening to actual native speakers as you can.

hey corey, you could torrent michel thomas' french. I used the spanish version. it's the same format for every language... a modelled classroom environment; there are two other 'students' on the recording. it was kind of annoying in some ways but strangely effective at getting a lot of grammar and structure into your head without any reading or writing. just listen to it over and over and over. useful, but probably best augmented with as much reading, writing and listening to actual native speakers as you can.

Sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. Cheers boss.

I mean , Eeuuh.............wat-eveurr crayzee aireeshman, geu away neu, ew air ruining mon cologne, Bof, l'etc, l'etc...

Spanish is spoken in lots of amazing places. But don't forget that what you're actually learning is Castillian - a mythical language which nobody actually speaks - getting to grips with the infinite variety of dialacts and accents is almost as much work as learning the language in the first place - albeit much more fun...

It's not perfect, but the Instituto Cervantes is the best Spanish language learning resource in the country. But it's also very important to find an intercambio to practice with.

and french opens up much africa and elderly vietnam to you

at least english doesnt have all that masculine and feminine nonsense

Obviously French will give you options, I was just recommending the options that Spanish would give. Also, I have the Spanish Michel Thomas set, though I have not listened to it all yet. Hard to tell if it was a good way of getting to grips with the language because the stuff I've covered so far I had remembered from the lessons I did originally. But it is pleasant to listen to either way.

French does come in pretty handy in Africa, I found it very useful in Tunisia. I'd love to improve my lingusitic skills, but I'm a chronic procrastinator.

I'd love to learn Dutch too. I can speak a few words of Dutch and read a bit of it too. Apparently I can read (and sing in) Dutch sufficiently well to have once convinced a friend of mine's little sis (who was Flemish) that I could speak the language. That was funny.

any help for people like me who are hopeless at learning languages?

never been any good at it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back