Bohs venue, costs, pa, the future etc. for those interested. (1 Viewer)

bohs punks

Website
Visit site
Had a long chat with the bar manager in bohs at the weekend about the gigs etc and the pa thing we discussed previously and where the 150 up front for the grassroots thing came from.

so this is what came out of conversation........

firstly they are happy with the gigs being there and the staff like working at them, some gigs have been better than others and gigs seem to get more peoeple than the discos but overall he was happy. they can get events that pull crowds on saturdays no bother themselves so if people aren't sure about crowds maybe look for a thursday or sunday afternoon or evening etc.

there should / would be no bother in us having a pa there, speakers could be mounted and desk etc securely stored. tommy trousers has offered to keep the microphones locally either if people thought that would be safer for them but in principle there would be no bother, he didnt see why we couldnt be having gigs there for the forseeable. this would however limit the pa to being used there rather than used outside but this probably makes it all easier to manage.

obviously the next issue is cost.

there is a standard charge that the office quotes for random 21sts, functions etc, this is where the 150 euro thing came from he thinks as rather than contact him they must have got the office.

this 150 euro charge doesnt apply to us - because of the connections with the club through the regular footie heads and the fact that the gigs are regular etc. regular events = regular income etc. also the gigs are defo encouraging people to come to games etc as there was a large turn out of us lot at fridays match.

however the club is mad in debt and he needs to be seen to be running the place proper etc.

so he was saying to me what he had said to byrnos, that if an event was free and pulled people then the venue would be free, if no one bought drink then they would appreaciate soemthing towards staff as they cant afford to lose money to entertain us. most nights i imagine drink is bought.

if the event was pay in at the door then they would appreciate some money towards electricity / breakages etc if the bar went ok or some money to cover bar staff if bar didnt go well ( ie nights when everyone goes to gig but does drinking beforehand or not many drinkers there or whatever).

he is offering to formalise this so as people know what the story is fully and to get rid fo the "i heard it was..." but it would be something along the lines of

if bar takes more than xxx euro then its 50 euro for elec, breakages etc
if bar takes less than xxx euro its 100 euro to cover their end, staff etc.

they arent trying to make a load of dosh off the gigs, just to cover their own end.

he has to think about this and will get back to me etc but xxx could be around 500 euro in takings - not profit, takings = 2/3 pints each by 60 people, they have to pay vat out of that etc.

no one is goign to get heir legs broken if they havent the exact amount either, its just so as to formalise things in some way so as there would be long term sustainability in us having a pa there.

so cost of venue inc pa would be 50 or 100 etc. the pa would be our property to be removed by us if we so wished.

i think this is fair

anyway i said id find out so what do ye think, still a good idea or ???????

original pa thread here, might be worth looking at again.

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=19686

this sounds great. i haven't been at any of the bohs gigs up to now (mainly cos they've been on the same night as other things - still pissed off i missed oak) but if this did become a sustainable thing then that means there's a reliable outlet for general punk/indie/improv/mad gigs that go on, which would be really helpful.

i'd definitely be on for putting on a couple of things there in the next while, especially if the nights will be cheap enough that bands and acts can play who might not otherwise break even. it would also be nice to know that your money isn't just going straight into someone mega-venue-owner's pocket, it's actually paying wages and helping out a community and all that hippy shit. :)

Yeah I think that all sounds cool, the bar has to cover staff costs and all that so it's all good. I think there's still plenty of scope there for people to do gigs and pretty much always have enough to pay any bar costs and any bands that are playing, certainly if we can all get a PA sorted then no-one would have to worry about that cost so putting a gig on there can be kept pretty cheap really. And as long as enough people are buying their pints at the bar it should all go grand I'd say. I'm exempt from that part of it though!

I've played there a couple o' times and the staff were decent.
This is a sound deal especially when we remember that all the pints are only 3 quid, it's like travelling back in time or to the rural west.

(cormy again:)

That´s WELL fucking cool. Really nice spot for a gig, my first time was last Sunday.

Sounds like a well sustainable place for a gig.

Please don´t take the piss with this and fuck it up for everyone else; hopefully people will be willing to tell others to cop on and take responsibility if there´s bollix-acting afoot.

ian bastardcore said:
(cormy again:)

That´s WELL fucking cool. Really nice spot for a gig, my first time was last Sunday.

Sounds like a well sustainable place for a gig.

Please don´t take the piss with this and fuck it up for everyone else; hopefully people will be willing to tell others to cop on and take responsibility if there´s bollix-acting afoot.

sounds great. it's a really cool venue and we should do our best to hold on to it. just one thing to add: me and a couple of people had to pick up a load of cans and bottles at the end of the last two gigs. people should have enough cop on to know that this isn't on. take your emptys home and don't leave anyone else's lying around.

atmosphere on sunday was great, very relaxed, good turnout and good fun, really enjoyed it and thanks to the organisers.

as to what the lads are saying above, well most venues either get lost for one of two reasons, change of ownership or people shitting on their own doorsteps, as a members club the first isnt going to happen with bohs and we are well in with bar staff etc so really its down to us to look after the place, it's not there to be taken for granted or just used and abused, if tis looked after and respected i seriously think we could be there for years to come for your small to medium scale gig, your punk / alternative scene needs a mix of venues , big and small and bohs definitely has a role to play within that.

cause so many people seem to be going away til september our feeling is its best to wait til then to sort out the pa thing as things could get quiet over the summer etc so september it is for that.

But it was a crusty fest. If you can't show off to your mates how much you don't give a fuck there, where can you do it? Anyway, who cares if we lose another venue, we can always fuck off to Europe and scab off another scene before moving on again.
I think I lost some serious respect for buying beer at the bar. Sorry lads.

who's heading off until september?

I thought it was just easpa measa?

DuncheeKnifed said:
sounds great. it's a really cool venue and we should do our best to hold on to it. just one thing to add: me and a couple of people had to pick up a load of cans and bottles at the end of the last two gigs. people should have enough cop on to know that this isn't on. take your emptys home and don't leave anyone else's lying around.

jesus will people ever cop the fuck on, its like being 'responsible for yourself' is an insult to so many punks, its not like itsd even an all ages venue where people could use their young age as a reason for stupidity, fuck anyone who leaves cans lying round bohs, spa's:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back