BLACK EYES (dischord records) // ESTEL // The KILLING SPREE (belfast) - Fri 12th Dec (2 Viewers)

swingkid

Website
www.wfmu.org
BLACK EYES
http://www.dischord.com/bands/blackeyes.shtml
http://www.ruffianrecords.com

band.jpg

DATES:

Wed 10th Dec - Belfast, the Front Page
Black Eyes / The Killing Spree / Tolka Valley Reds

Thur 11th Dec - Limerick, High Stool
Black Eyes / The Killing Spree / Giveamanakick

Fri 12th Dec - Dublin, Whelans €8
Black Eyes / Estel / The Killing Spree

index2003_r1_c1.jpg

Black Eyes hail from Washington DC are on Ian Mc Kaye from FUGAZI's label "Dischord Records"
They utilise 2 drummers, 2 bassists, 1 guitarist and all of them share vocals.

Some Black Eyes admire:
UK rhythm (Slits/Pop Group/Pigbag/Gang of Four/Au Pairs) US No Wave and Dance punk (Liquid Liquid/DNA) Miscellany, Einsturzende Neubaten, The Ex, Faust, Dub, Can, Black Flag, Miles Davis, Birthday Party, Fela Kuti, Brian Eno, Haitian Rara, Intelligent Dance Music.

Black Eyes have been or have played in/with:
The Rapture, Trooper The Pain, The No-Gos, Exaspirin, Epson Energy, The (LastSeconds (Of) Amalgamation, The Better Automatic.......

BLACK EYES LP REVIEWS::

ALL MUSIC GUIDE REVIEW Black Eyes self-titled debut displays a band with a hold on the experimental side of D.C. punk — a path paved by Fugazi and, particularly in this case, Q and Not U. This five-piece band takes dub, bass-driven grooves and kooky vocals of the Liars and Q and Not U's off-kilter dance punk and plays them grittier from the violent narrative of "Someone Has His Fingers Broken" to the oblique sexual politics of "A Pack of Wolves"....
This album will have to remain the a mark of a band's crazy potential and perhaps a warning siren of what is to come.
— Charles Spano

JUNK MEDIA REVIEW "Black Eyes are an innovative act that imposes scatter-shot music onto organized patterns, creating a tumbling orgy of tribal-punk...
Their music focuses on Crash Worship-style cacophonous drum beats that throb along with throaty bass lines, making the songs feel like a slap on the back that is just a bit too hard. Sometimes evocative of Joy Division on PCP, sometimes of Arab on Radar on codeine, Ian MacKaye's production maintains the right balance of tin-can sounds with bullfrog disco stylings. Screeching guitars and sex vocals fill out the space on tracks like "Pack of Wolves" while dysfunctional disco drums chain a song like "Deformative" to the bedrock....
The music they are creating is pulsing, pounding and original. And in a live setting, it should inspire the slack-jawed yokels to dance -- a valuable commodity in today's world of hipster apathy."
Jonah Flicker

19635M2.jpg

"someone has his fingers broken"
mp3mp4

------------------------------------

THE KILLING SPREE:
-------------------------------------

THE KILLING SPREE - s/t CD-R
"3 tracks of off-kilter, off the wall hardcore from Belfast. Very much influenced by SLINT [in the quiet bits] and BOTCH [in the noisy bits] while the guitar sound is pure SHELLAC. The shouted vocals are sparse and low in the mix [the middle track is an instrumental] and there are wierd timing changes and unepected bits all over the place, sort of like a more dynamic, less mental CONVERGE. The whole CD weighs in at under twelve minutes long; not a bad thing for a first release as it leaves me wanting more. The packaging is handmade and simple but really nicely done in a minimal way. If you're a fan of the forementioned bands or like your music unpredictable and edgy, you could do a lot worse than check this CD out."
review taken from Jakes Wrath #6

The Killing Spree
You could call this post hardcore, but not in a Kerrang! post hardcore sense – there’s no way this is comparable to the bland nu-emo of acts like Finch. I’d much prefer to just call this rock, with balls, and probably some slight psychological instability. The Killing Spree hail from Belfast (I think), and have guitars so vicious they’d need a muzzle to be allowed out in public. Opener ‘In The Spirit Of Division’ sets the tone – stop-start quiet-loud shout-SCREAM! One part of me thinks Cat on Form, but since I don’t exactly rate them I’ll try to suppress it and just say that it’s a very strong track. Instrumental offering ‘Then The Lockjaw Set In’ drifts broodingly along without ever really breaking into a sweat, but normal service is resumed with ‘No Comply’ – a three-minute blast of impassioned angular noise, with some suitably unhinged vocals. Wrapped in some neat handmade packaging (this copy being numbered 61; out of how many I don’t know), this is a decent demo that stands up excellently to a number of signed acts. Investigate for yourself at www.thekillingspree.com.
from
do something pretty zine

MP3's
Extreme Pressure (Every scene needs a Pete)
In The Spirit Of Division
No Comply

IEmichael.jpg

ESTEL?
http://www.thumped.com/estel
http://www.littleplastictapes.cjb.net
drive me to hell mp3

SKINNY WOLVES
http://www.skinnywolvesdistro.cjb.net

Ok, time to hype this up on eirecore..

Black Eyes are fuckin deadly, really the are, all five of them sing and they've got incredible vocals. Plus you've got bleedin Estel AND The Killing Spree with it.. what more could you ask for? I love 'em all.

Re: BLACK EYES (dischord records) // ESTEL // The KILLING SPREE (belfast) - Fri 12th

DeAd_KeV said:
id say this is gonna be fuckin deadly.
yeah defo and its the day i finish up for xmas too...what better way to celebrate!!!
did you's get back ok the other day from kilcoole? no car crash or anything?

Re: BLACK EYES (dischord records) // ESTEL // The KILLING SPREE (belfast) - Fri 12th

black eyes review from dosomethingpretty. and so well written! (ahem).

the last los cabras gig (ever!) was in whelans. they made us start playing just as people started paying in. is this standard policy? will we be herded on like angular cattle to play to the bouncers? say it ain't so...

B for the Spree said:
black eyes review from dosomethingpretty. and so well written! (ahem).

the last los cabras gig (ever!) was in whelans. they made us start playing just as people started paying in. is this standard policy? will we be herded on like angular cattle to play to the bouncers? say it ain't so...
well me jill and jamie will be there....

the fact that gigs *have* to be over by around 11 is what makes this happen. estel had to cut their set short there during the summer as one of the support bands played for too long..

the bong played to about 10 people there with guapo...

maybe the best thing to do is to get the word out that if yr not there at 8.30, you wont see the killing spree...

or else threaten jamie to let youse play second..

just looking again, the guy on the far left looks just like mo (ex-the satan clause and muddled). just ask andy or paddington.

damien said:
well me jill and jamie will be there....

the fact that gigs *have* to be over by around 11 is what makes this happen. estel had to cut their set short there during the summer as one of the support bands played for too long..

the bong played to about 10 people there with guapo...

maybe the best thing to do is to get the word out that if yr not there at 8.30, you wont see the killing spree...

or else threaten jamie to let youse play second..
thats what i thought! ah well, it can't be helped. you and jill (and jamie) would make a wonderful audience. in fact i think we should play a second gig in your bedroom the next morning.

B for the Spree said:
thats what i thought! ah well, it can't be helped. you and jill (and jamie) would make a wonderful audience. in fact i think we should play a second gig in your bedroom the next morning.
Well, if playing in a tiny room that smells like wee is yr thing, I'm all for it!

mangler said:
can't wait for this - fuckin deadly!!!!!

-B L A C K E Y E S- are -B R I L L I A N T-

Like what I did with the spaces there? Well eye-catching.
Hmmm. heard the latest Blackeyes album today, as I was curious as there seems to be a bit of hype.

Fuck me...perhaps some of the worst music ever. And people tell ME I need my hearing tested! I'll go check out the Killing Spree, but I'll be wearing earmuffs for the main act. Somebody tell me it's an elaborate pisstake. Easily worst Dischord band ever...

I will be at home being mothered, writing a stupidly long essay, and probably listening to Earth Crisis.

scrawlzine said:
Hmmm. heard the latest Blackeyes album today, as I was curious as there seems to be a bit of hype.

Fuck me...perhaps some of the worst music ever. And people tell ME I need my hearing tested! I'll go check out the Killing Spree, but I'll be wearing earmuffs for the main act. Somebody tell me it's an elaborate pisstake. Easily worst Dischord band ever...
Haha, despite never having heard Blackeyes I get the feeling I will agree with your opinion!

Scrawlzine said:
Somebody tell me it's an elaborate pisstake.
no, the killing spree is the elaborate pisstake. only it's not very elaborate :)

i can definitely see why black eyes would divide opinion. its the beats that get me. this can probably be attributed to my secret past as a teen electronica geek.

i should prolly add, a couple of people have found it grows on them. michael from the spree didnt like it at all on first hearing it, and this kid from lurgan who's coming up hated it at first and now considers them one of his favourite bands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back