Black Day for Glasgow (1 Viewer)

EWilson

Website
www.hoodlumcircus.com
Don't know how many of you are familiar with the place. But, this is bad news for any small touring band:

On page 24 of the Glasgow Herald today there is an Announcement about 13th Note Ltd.

"Notice is hereby given that on 20 November 2001, a Petition was presented to Court of Session by The Advocate General for Scotland as representing Her Majesty's Customs and Excise, craving the Court, inter alia that 13th Note Limited, having their registered office at 50/60 King Street, Glasgow G1 5QT be wound up by the Court and that an Interim Liquidator.......blah blah etc."

holy shit

only been there the once, and came away wondering why the hell we don't have anything similar here

(note to self: probably because it's not commercially viable to not rip people off)

aaaaaaaahhhhh!

that really is shit shit shit news.
that place completely rocked.
we played our 5th gig ever there.
and our 6th.

i want to cry

The fact that it's HM Customs and Excise suggests that it's a VAT thing. They can stick you in receivership for as little as £750.

Reckon the problem is the fact that they opertate two venues. The cafe with the small gigs and great food couldn't possibly be losing money. The club, however, was never quite right.

is this really true? i was on the 13th note website yesterday and it had no mention of it! if its true then its really really shit. we had so much fun there when we played there. both times. in the one week. it was grrreat!!!

Maybe this'll help, I found it on the discussion board...

I'm not sure about the legal jargon (it's in 'provisional liquidation'), but from what I hear (from a member of barstaff), all is not lost. The current financial problems result from a long-standing debt (apparently from before the King St. days), not from problems with the turnover of the two 'new' venues. It's the choice of the liquidator (KPMG) whether to cease trading and sell the assets or to leave the company running and seek ways to make it legally solvent, and apparently, at least for the moment, they've chosen to keep it running. So there is a good chance we won't lose it.

The cafe venue has been a gig doing thing for a while. Just not quite so good. I reckon it'll keep on going. It'll maybe change hands and get corporate, but it'll keep going. When's someone gonna do the same in Dublin? I'm coming over again in a week or so, and I think I need to try harder this time.

update:

hag, yes but we're still open. the tara jane o'neil show next week should be fine. we're being allowed to continue trading and are working on regaining control of the company. it's been scary but things are looking more positive. it's been a crazy week!!!!!

cheers, simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back