black and tans for dessert (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
!ironyyy

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ice cream makers Ben & Jerry's have apologized for causing offence by calling a new flavor "Black & Tan" -- the nickname of a notoriously violent British militia that operated during Ireland's war of independence.
ADVERTISEMENT

The ice cream, available only in the United States, is based on an ale and stout drink of the same name.

"Any reference on our part to the British Army unit was absolutely unintentional and no ill-will was ever intended," said a Ben & Jerry's spokesman.

"Ben & Jerry's was built on the philosophies of peace and love," he added.

The Black and Tans, so-called because of their two-tone uniforms, were recruited in the early 1920s to bolster the ranks of the police force in Ireland as anti-British sentiment grew.

They quickly gained a reputation for brutality and mention of the militia still arouses strong feelings in Ireland.

"I can't believe that Ben & Jerry's would be so insensitive to call an ice cream such a name and to launch it as a celebration of Irishness ... it's an insult!" wrote one blogger on www.junkfoodblog.com.

"I hope they don't try to launch it here in Ireland or I imagine they'll lose a lot of their fans."

Ben & Jerry's, a unit of Anglo-Dutch consumer goods giant Unilever Plc, prides itself on its commitment to friendly business. Its mission statement includes a pledge to show "a deep respect for human beings inside and outside our company and for the communities in which they live."

La La said:
Unilever Plc, prides itself on its commitment to friendly business. Its mission statement includes a pledge to show "a deep respect for human beings inside and outside our company and for the communities in which they live."

vomit + :mad:

i read somewhere that unilever was started by one of the lever brothers. He left in disgust at the "surf satifaction or your money back" promotion, and vowed to take over the world. Chilling.

roxy said:
This Black and Tans thing was news about 10 days ago.

But anyway.
Yeah, and how come that whole "jesus dying and rising to heaven" shit was all over the news last weekend? That shit was like, 2000 years ago and shit :rolleyes:

La La said:
it only appeared on reuters (and therefore i guess, internationally) today.

but anyway.

Hmm. Inserting the reply, waiting 5 minutes, and then inserting the same reply a second time doesn't actually distract from the fact that this was actually in Irish and British tabloids last week.

I was only stating a fact. It's clearly Reuters' fault, not yours. Don't get upset.

roxy said:
Hmm. Inserting the reply, waiting 5 minutes, and then inserting the same reply a second time doesn't actually distract from the fact that this was actually in Irish and British tabloids last week.

I was only stating a fact. It's clearly Reuters' fault, not yours. Don't get upset.

i wasnt trying to distract the fact from anything; my internet connection was slow and so i had to press reply a couple of times before a new page would load. not really sure what your point was.
i wasn't getting upset at all, merely saying that it aint my problem if it's old news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back