Billy Childish is one hell of a writer (1 Viewer)

Well Billy Childish's whole musical world view is based around the fact that good music stopped being made around 1965, and that the Kinks only ever wrote one good song.

He's a fruitcake, but a fuckin brilliant one in my book. How many albums has he lashed out, about 80? And all the one's I have (5 or 6) are rockin'.

And his review of Sgt Peppers is gold

A touch Billy Churlish of him to take a swipe at the Beatles for donning Victorian military garb for the cover of Sarge Peps.
billy2.jpg

The lady doth protest too much.

That article is a great read until you get down to the last three or four reviews. At that point I realised/remembered that using clever language and having no argument for the defense makes it extremely easy to make shit of any album, ever.

Still though, it's a good read even if the person giving out about Meat is Murder seems to be talking through his hole to demonstrate that The Smiths were talking through theirs. Gotta love the Doors-slagging. I could never get into them at all.

Alex Kapranos dissing 'Marquee Moon' too? Deary me. All haircut, no trousers that lad.

He seems to be criticising it's "cool" legend rather than talking about the music directly -

".....a prog rock album its okay to like...." ? Bollix.

Marquee Moon's got no "prog" sensibilities. It has one long track but you can't equate the length of a track with prog rock. It's economic, not overblown, and fuelled by a lean, terse, earthy nervous energy, not space-maiden-fantasy-goblin-wank.
And not one hint of any effects pedals or processors or synths/keyboards anywhere on it. It's closer to John Coltrane and the free jazz movement in its spirit rather than prog. I hope this guy writes about food better than he does music.

Some of that article was good though, but I fucking hate Alex Kapranos now. I felt nothing toward him before.

Billy Childish... I woulsn't expect anything less from a man who uses the word Thee and is obsessed with garage rock. Sgt. Peppers gets better everytime I listen to it recently. Its got fucking Withing You Without You and A Day In The Life on it for starters Billy you eejit.

Not crazy impressed by most of the sacred cow tipping in the Guardian but the Velvet Underground one is shitter than shit.

What that new project of his like? does anyone know if hes coming to dublin again? he was brilliant in Whelans

Trout Mask Replica
"It sounds like you feel when you've taken the wrong drugs, like going to your mate's dope party on speed. I'd listen to it with my head in my hands."
i think i'm going to have to give that a listen

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back