Bergman (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

i know i dont deserve to call myself a movie buff having not yet gotten into bergman's work, so i'm currently scouring the internet for reviews and such.

i've just ordered Summer With Monika and The Virgin Spring as they seem like they'd be most suited to my tastes - especially looking forward to Virgin Spring considering the Last House On The Left connection...

any fans here?

The Virgin Spring you'd like. Summer With Monika is pretty cool.

I like Fanny and Alexander most. Scenes From A Marriage is excellent too (the extended cut of both make a lot more sense I reckon).

His 'faith' trilogy - Through A Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence are profoundly downbeat and really show how fragile emotions are. At a push I'd prefer the likes of Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal and Fanny.. but he's a seriously amazing director. Cries and Whispers is devastating too.
Never seen a bad movie by him.

Other good ones by him

Autumn Sonata
The Face
Persona
So Close To Life
Summer Interlude
To Joy

Scenes from a marriage is PAINFUL, i somehow managed to stick it out in its entirety but it certainly wouldn't be the first i'd recommend.

yea as said, the famous ones wild strawberries, seventh seal are still my favourites.of the early ones - the 'summer' films i like - smiles of a summer night is good, as is summer with monika and summer interlude

zebra heart attack said:
I bought Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal for cheap a while ago. Both excellent. Laser seem to have most of his movies to rent. When i get some free time i can have a proper weekend crash course.

where'd you get them cheap?they're always cafe en seine expensive wherever i see them

Persona is great. Not exactly enjoyable to watch, but that's hardly the point.

hermie said:
where'd you get them cheap?they're always cafe en seine expensive wherever i see them

the laser sale shop just off exchequer street had them two for 25 at christmas.

usually they go for 30 each which is madness. amazon.co.uk has a good sale on at the moment though. more than half price on most of his dvds.

zebra heart attack said:
the laser sale shop just off exchequer street had them two for 25 at christmas.

usually they go for 30 each which is madness. amazon.co.uk has a good sale on at the moment though. more than half price on most of his dvds.

shit, never seen them in there that cheap.probably had my christmas shopping goggles on around then and uncharacteristically walked right past the swedish cinema section. I'll check Amazon, cheers mate.

I agree with the Wild Strawberries & Seventh Seal talk.
Persona = scary. I think I did enjoy it despite the scared.

Oh...I fucking love Wild Strawberries

Just after getting through my first serving of Scenes From A Marriage - long, can be tough going, but ultimately very very rewarding....

Bergman Roolz...Fanny & alexander next Bergman buffs?? It's got the word Fanny in the title, I can't go wrong?!

Just after getting through my first serving of Scenes From A Marriage - long, can be tough going, but ultimately very very rewarding....

Bergman Roolz...Fanny & alexander next Bergman buffs?? It's got the word Fanny in the title, I can't go wrong?!

Fanny and Alexander rocks.

Make sure you get the TV version - 5 hours in length. Should be rentable. Is expensive to buy.

Movie version is cut significantly.

Fanny and Alexander rocks.

Make sure you get the TV version - 5 hours in length. Should be rentable. Is expensive to buy.

Movie version is cut significantly.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/97438/Fanny_And_Alexander/Product.html
This version nlgbbbblth?

Gotta say thanks as well - you're a fountain of knowledge on great movies...i just noticed my Discreet Charm thread below! Incidentally, I managed to get it as part of the Bunuel box set with the phantom of liberty and ...object of desire. Both were deadly.

Cheers!!

I want that box.

Only seen Cries and Whispers and the Seventh Seal - both really great. Need to see more but these movies never really grab my attention on the shelves of shops...

Scenes from a marriage is deadly, you are right. It is harrowing but it's a good explanation into why you can't have a platonic relationship. sooner or later someones gonna wanna ride someone else.

got summer interlude, autumn sonata and through a glass darkly recently enough. All amazing.i especially liked Summer Interlude; poetic, early film portraying what would later become his renowned hallmarks and symbols, in beautiful simplicity

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back