be warned, tv licence boyos about (3 Viewers)

Simon J said:
Not sure if this has been highlighted, common knowledge Im sure, but an even greater affront is the fact that if you have more then one tv set on your premises you need a license per set as opposed to one license covering your household. Still good to know some of the license fee goes towards edgy, comic creations like Shirley Temple Bar.
shirley was, ahem, edgey before she did tellybingo.

and anyway, is she still the presentress? thought i saw it a few weeks ago and there was some other (actually female) bint doing it instead.

Simon J said:
Not sure if this has been highlighted, common knowledge Im sure, but an even greater affront is the fact that if you have more then one tv set on your premises you need a license per set as opposed to one license covering your household.
Not true:
http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/telecommunications/tv_licences.html said:
If I have two television sets in my home do I need licences for them both?

If the equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., a television set, a personal computer), etc. is held in a household (i.e., apartment, flat, house), then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment. In other words, if you have a television set in your living room and kitchen, one television licence covers both sets.

However, if the building in which the equipment is kept (i.e., the house, etc.) is sub-divided into flats, apartments, separate living quarters, then a separate television licence must be held for each of these quarters. In other words, an individual licence must be held for each separate flat, apartment, etc.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/public_utilities/telecommunications/tv_licences.html

There is also no mention on that sight of needing a TV licence if you own a radio. (Surely that'd be a radio or "wireless" licence anyway? Imagine being stopped on your street by somebody asking if you had a licence for that radio built into your walkman)

I never bought a TV when I moved house last February and haven't missed it at all. I just download all the TV I usually watch (mostly Futurama and the Simpsons) from the internet using bittorrent and watch them on my PC. You can watch DVDs on your PC too!

JohnnyRaz said:
FASCISTS!!@@

time to drag out the old Orwell quote

The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies 'something not desirable'--George Orwell, 1946

it is possible to get a tv fixed by a tv repairman dude so it cannot receive any tv signals. say if you only use it for computer games/watching dvds you can get it done, get a cert from the tv repairman dude saying it cannot pick up tv stations and then you won't have to pay the license. but it probably costs just as much as paying for a license anyway.

I'm going a little off the point here but... seeing as everyone is reminiscing about RTE 'comedy'...

Does anyone remember a review show called 'Vids' that was on ITV at about 2 am on Tuesdays in the late 90s/early 00s?

It was hilarious - a crazy welsh guy with bleached hair and a heavy metal-looking guy presented it. I miss it so much. :(

(Which reminds me also - anyone remember Raw Power (i think), late night ITV heavy rock show from same era, presented by a twat called 'Krusher', who used to talk to the camera in a ridiculous throaty death metal growl?)

lmd64 said:
i beg to differ, "The Dinner Party" is a masterstroke of televisual genius. Such wit! such banter! Such interesting people! I personally would fain host a dinner party with such majesty and aplomb as Ms. Brunker. RTE!!! I commend you to the highest ranks of the international entertainment industry. Your higher-ranking executives walk as gods among men. I salute you.
Amanda Brunker alone is worth the licence fee

actually I find RTE 1, 2 and TG4 quite good so I don't mind paying it.

radiohead are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [at this point i beseeched for the channel to be changed]

the protesting students were kinda funny though. in a 'because it's true' kinda way.

nlgbbbblth said:
Paul Tylak is the most grotesque and unfunny individual I have ever come across

Paul Woodful has always been an absolute cunt no matter what persona he is

the show is shit too.
Hmmm, I kinda found Tylak about the only remotely okay individual in this foul mess...but nothing will beat his stint as the Afghan in Fair City...back when they weren't able to affort actors who were actually from the country of the character they were portraying..."Here you! You're kinda coloured - we need an Afghan - you'll do - just put on a funny accent, no-one will notice the difference - it's not like there're any *real* Afghans to point it out" - ah, the innocence...twas far from Afghans spinnin the wheel we were in them days

Pilchard said:
of course, if RTE had been offered it, they would have turned it down. Sure, didnt they have Leave It To Mrs O'Brien.
Father Ted first aired in April 1995
If offered it RTE would have been approached in late 1994 I estimate

Leave It To Mrs O'Brien ran for only 3 series - 1984, 1986 and 1987.

Was long gone by 1994/1995. And has not been repeated since original broadcast.

Leave It To Mrs O'Brien remains unavailable on VHS or DVD

Simon J said:
Not sure if this has been highlighted, common knowledge Im sure, but an even greater affront is the fact that if you have more then one tv set on your premises you need a license per set as opposed to one license covering your household. Still good to know some of the license fee goes towards edgy, comic creations like Shirley Temple Bar.
Shirley Temple Bar is about as funny as Paul Tylak

Buckrake said:
(Which reminds me also - anyone remember Raw Power (i think), late night ITV heavy rock show from same era, presented by a twat called 'Krusher', who used to talk to the camera in a ridiculous throaty death metal growl?)
that would have been Steve 'Krusher' Joule, the famous rock journalist (kerrang or metal hammer or both i dunno) who did the artwork for SABBATH's 'Born Again' album, apparently.

However, nothing will ever approach the brilliance of Sky TV's Monster's Of Rock show. Thursday nights in 1987 ruled.

Long live Mick Wall.

Buckrake said:
I remember it. Used to vainly try to stay awake all Saturday night when I were wee 'cos we was po', and didn't have a video (actually, we wasn't po', the folks just never bothered buying one).

Buckrake said:
Krusher was indeed a twat, and wasn't aided in his hardman antics by that rat of a dog he used to have around the place. Remember the guy who presented it before him, Phil Alexander with the big mop of curly hair, editor of Kerrang I think. He played some half decent stuff, I remember it being the only time I ever saw the video for Godflesh's Avalanche Master Song. Anyway, I met him at Sonic Youth in the Top Hat years ago and started chatting to him, and he actually has extremely good taste in music, he just wasn't allowed to show any of it on Raw Power. He was rattling on for ages about Ministry, Godflesh, Sonic Youth, the Buttholes, The Jesus Lizard etc. Turned out to be a nice chap too.

Back on the TV licence issue, it's actually An Post who go about the collection aspect of the licence fees. I got a buzz in the apartment once and the guy said it was the post office, so I went down to the door thinking it was a package or registered letter being delivered. As soon as I opened the door two fairly burly wankers pushed past me into the lobby flashing their An Post ID. They had me bang to rights as I didn't have a licence, but when I tried to get them to leave after they had given me my fine, they just hopped in the lift and started knocking at other peoples apartments. They even encouraged me to call the cops when I complained. Well, I thought it was all a bit heavyhanded so I did ring the cops to see if I could have actually stopped them entering the building, and apparently they do have some pretty extreme rights when it comes to getting into your property.

Still, most of the time they give you a month or two to go and buy your licence, so I wouldn't bother getting one unless they'd nabbed you previously. Once they have your name and details they bombard you with demands to renew your licence when it's almost up.

Bunch of wankers.

nlgbbbblth said:
Father Ted first aired in April 1995
If offered it RTE would have been approached in late 1994 I estimate

Leave It To Mrs O'Brien ran for only 3 series - 1984, 1986 and 1987.

Was long gone by 1994/1995. And has not been repeated since original broadcast.

Leave It To Mrs O'Brien remains unavailable on VHS or DVD

I'm scared. Such depth of knowledge on Leave It To Mrs O'Brien must deserve a medal. If that Mailbag show was still running, you could write in and demand a DVD release for Xmas.

Pilchard said:
I'm scared. Such depth of knowledge on Leave It To Mrs O'Brien must deserve a medal. If that Mailbag show was still running, you could write in and demand a DVD release for Xmas.

mailbag, bosco, garda patrol. It could only ever go downhill from those dizzy heights

Got one of them letters yesterday. Was thinking of what to do to avoid paying if yer man shows up (one of them showed up in the last place i lived so i've no doubt he'll show up soon enough in this place).

What if you just plain don't answer the door? Like, you can see the telly from our front window, but what if it was up loud and you pretend you can't hear them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back