be warned, tv licence boyos about (2 Viewers)

kirstie said:
here

do you still need a dog licence?
Yes it seems Here's the regulations

Shopkeeper:
Alright, alright, alright. A license.

Customer:
Yes.

Shopkeeper:
For a fish.

Customer:
Yes.

Shopkeeper:
You are a looney.

Customer:
Look, it's a bleeding pet, isn't it? I've got a license for me pet dog Eric, and I've got a license for me pet cat Eric...

Shopkeeper:
You don't need a license for your cat.

Customer:
I bleeding well do and I got one. He can't be called Eric without it--

Shopkeeper:
There's no such thing as a bloody cat license.

Customer:
Yes there is!

Shopkeeper:
Isn't!

Customer:
Is!

Shopkeeper:
Isn't!

Customer:
I bleeding got one, look! What's that then?

Shopkeeper:
This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and 'cat' written in in crayon.

Customer:
The man didn't have the right form.

Shopkeeper:
What man?

Customer:
The man from the cat detector van.

Shopkeeper:
The looney detector van, you mean.

Customer:
Look, it's people like you what cause unrest.

What, specifically, is wrong with the current comedy output of rte? And, what could one do to improve it?

I'm going to be talking to some people about this soon, and other opinions are necessary.

RTE should stop trying to be cool and modern when it comes to comedy.
eg.
cool RTE comedy gave us Stew.
modern RTE comedy gave us Upwardly Mobile.

things that sorta worked in the past/still sorta working:
Nighthawks, The Panel, Podge & Rodge, that Sean Moncrieff thing (touch and go for most of it, buh)

mind you, even those can be lame at (some/most)times .

the bongo said:
What, specifically, is wrong with the current comedy output of rte? And, what could one do to improve it?

I'm going to be talking to some people about this soon, and other opinions are necessary.
One of the key problems is that it just isn't funny. I might get TV if it were. It amazes me that a country that has such a high proportion of genuinely funny people can produce such a load of cack for its television. Maybe there's too much focus on worrying about a target audience, and not enough on just making good programmes.

Actually, I think one problem is that RTE produces programmes that mimic formats from other countries. Take the travesty of The Cassidys, which appeared to be a pathetic aping of US sitcoms. And it was bad. Worse than bad. Shameful.

Look at Father Ted. Brilliant. RTE turned it down, but it was perfect. Look at Paths to Freedom. That was, in my opinion, an excellent example of satire, something that is a strength of the Irish cultural output. Jonathan Swift, Flann O'Brien, Dermot Morgan, Arthur Mathews...all through the centuries, some brilliant comedic minds that are not reflected in popular culture.

Not to make generalisations, but the 'Irish' sense of humour involves a lot of self-depracation and self-satirising, and that just isn't as successful when using someone else's format.

jane said:
Look at Father Ted. Brilliant. RTE turned it down, but it was perfect.

Thats an urban myth. RTE were never offered it in the first place. All the writers/crew/producers/actors were Irish but it was also going to be a Channel 4 production

of course, if RTE had been offered it, they would have turned it down. Sure, didnt they have Leave It To Mrs O'Brien.

jane said:
Look at Paths to Freedom. That was, in my opinion, an excellent example of satire, something that is a strength of the Irish cultural output. Jonathan Swift, Flann O'Brien, Dermot Morgan, Arthur Mathews...all through the centuries, some brilliant comedic minds that are not reflected in popular culture.

And that would ONLY have been made by RTE. I think they were trying to make up for lots of mistakes and they just hit the jackpot with that one. Thing is, if u look at what the Paths to Freedom people did afterwards (that AWFUL fergus's wedding), the show makers also had a lucky break

Thats comedy for u. One man's Larry David is another man's Larry Grayson, or something like that.

Pilchard said:
And that would ONLY have been made by RTE. I think they were trying to make up for lots of mistakes and they just hit the jackpot with that one. Thing is, if u look at what the Paths to Freedom people did afterwards (that AWFUL fergus's wedding), the show makers also had a lucky break
Yes, this is kind of what I'm getting at: it was an Irish-made comedy that really hit an Irish sense of humour right on the head. They proved that it can be done.

Fergus's Wedding was indeed awful. I saw a couple of episodes, but it hurt.

I didn't know that about Father Ted, actually. Urban myth de-bunked.

Panty, is that a picture of your babba?!

Pilchard said:
Thats an urban myth. RTE were never offered it in the first place. All the writers/crew/producers/actors were Irish but it was also going to be a Channel 4 production

of course, if RTE had been offered it, they would have turned it down. Sure, didnt they have Leave It To Mrs O'Brien.

Thats comedy for u. One man's Larry David is another man's Larry Grayson, or something like that.

I reckon paths to freedom was only half funny, the whole scumbag end of things was down to a tee but the other characters were a bit forced.
We just have to accept the fact that Irish tv is bollox and revive travelling musicals or something. Or faction fighting, which never really went away I guess.

there were probably enough potentially workable laughs in stew to make one good episode.. but not an entire series. repitition* is lazy, and it ultimately makes for bad comedy.

a lot of people obviously resent paying their tv license because it doesn't translate into worthwhile television. in the uk I believe that BBC gets funding from the government (ie: tax). a more guaranteed source of income, than collecting for a license that not everyone will pay for. plus there's NO ADVERTISING. of course, this is a debatable issue because the population base in the uk is much, much bigger, and there is more demand (and creative sources) for diverse programming. and they have to get a tv license over there too!

apparantly though, the legal requirement in this country (so I'm informed) is that you need a licence for EVERY television that you have in your house.. which is a load of rotting cocks. ESPECIALLY if, as pointed out earlier, you just use your tv for playing playstation/watching dvds etc.

the idea of a license for a radio is interesting, dunno if it's true, but imagine if it was enforced. the situation with radio is even more recuntulous than the tv situation. radio is a potentally brilliant, informative, entertaining and relatively inexpensive source of programming for everyone in the county. the fm bandwidth is relatively empty in this country, why is almost every radio station pouring aural diahorrea into our collective ears!?!? give people no choice and they become destimulated and ignorant. that drive me fucking crazy, as, I'm sure, it does to a lot of other folk here.

a plot to turn us all into morons perhaps?

*not necessarily in music of course!!!

funny thing is, technology is getting such that it makes it easier for people to get around such an outmoded form of taxation as "TV licences". flat screen tvs, projectors, computer/entertainment systems, all of these could be sufficiently disguised/hidden that if an inspector were to visit, no evidence of a TV could be found to be licensed.

I think if they want to garner revenue for the financing of RTE, licences should be abolished and a new form of taxation should apply. Like say, a poll tax. I hear it went down really well over in the UK.

good funny things from rte:
  • Zig and Zag - the ian dempsey years
  • The Live Mike - for the candid camera stuff & the dermot morgan bits and stuff
  • The End - the friday night barry murphy one
and i liked ferguseses wedding.

pete said:
good funny things from rte:
  • Zig and Zag - the ian dempsey years
  • The Live Mike - for the candid camera stuff & the dermot morgan bits and stuff
  • The End - the friday night barry murphy one
and i liked ferguseses wedding.

blizzard of odd leaned toward goodness a bit. is this on anymore?

Not sure if this has been highlighted, common knowledge Im sure, but an even greater affront is the fact that if you have more then one tv set on your premises you need a license per set as opposed to one license covering your household. Still good to know some of the license fee goes towards edgy, comic creations like Shirley Temple Bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back