be warned, tv licence boyos about (1 Viewer)

JohnnyRaz

where the crow ate the man
Supporter
Folks,
am sure many of you have recieved a letter warning of the imminent arrival of a tv licence inspector at some stage in the past. This being ireland, you will have ignored it, and this being ireland you will have gotten away with it. But the're actually going round house to house at the moment and leaving threatening postcards, both myself and a mate have been nabbed in the recent past. They must have gotten some EU funding or something, or perhaps RTE is so cash strapped that they have to start enforcing the whole licence thing. Ive also heard a rumor that they have started cross referencing cable connection info with licence-less houses, so the old trick of throwing the b/w portable under the stairs no longer works. So be warned!
Have serious issues with the fact that I'm contributing to the lively hood of such heads as mondo from fair city, plank kenny, and above all ryan turbidy.
FASCISTS!!@@

The sooner someone implements a scheme for blocking out RTE 1 and Network 2 and simply using all cable or Digital, paid for to NTL, thus negating any reason to pay the licence, the better. Allow people to make the choice, put a bit of competition into it and maybe RTE will stop assuming that making awful 'The Dinner Party' style muck is enough to jusify their exsistence.

Also a bud of mine has a TV for watching DVDs and Videos and the like, no ariel connection or anything... not an unreasonable situation. But it would seem said person could still be prosecuted for not paying the licence fee...

:confused: :mad: :confused:

Pantone247 said:
Also a bud of mine has a TV for watching DVDs and Videos and the like, no ariel connection or anything... not an unreasonable situation. But it would seem said person could still be prosecuted for not paying the licence fee...

Yeah, I wonder about this? I mean, if you can't actually watch the television, then the licence fee is basically mob-like extortion, isn't it?

RTE Goon: Knock, knock.

You: Yes, can I help you?

RTEG: Hi, I'm a TV-licence inspector. Our records show that you have not paid your licence fee, and we just wanted to give you the opportunity to do so.

You: What do you mean 'opportunity'?

RTEG: Well, you know, my associates can always come back at a later date and collect a significantly larger....

You: No, I mean, I don't have a TV. There's nothing to watch. It's all rubbish.

RTEG: Whatever do you mean? Do you mean to tell me that you do not like our top-quality, Latvian-made 100% polyester blend blouse and....oooh....uh I mean, top notch programming?

You: Um, no. Thanks. Good night.

RTEG [blocks door with foot]: I do not think you understand me, young lady. I am asking you very politely to make your donation this evening. If it is not convenient for you, I can send my...

You: Jesus, you....

RTEG: Ms Brunker's Botox isn't fuckin' free, you know, and neither is Mr Tubridy's helper monkey -- cough it up, bitch!
And anyway, what's that there? [ka-ching.]

You: That's my son's Halloween costume. He was The Tom and Jerry Show.

RTEG: So you have a child who is shaped like a television, then?

You: It was only....

[Bang! Pop! Stumble. Die.]

Something like that.

Pantone247 said:
The sooner someone implements a scheme for blocking out RTE 1 and Network 2 and simply using all cable or Digital, paid for to NTL, thus negating any reason to pay the licence, the better. Allow people to make the choice, put a bit of competition into it and maybe RTE will stop assuming that making awful 'The Dinner Party' style muck is enough to jusify their exsistence.

i beg to differ, "The Dinner Party" is a masterstroke of televisual genius. Such wit! such banter! Such interesting people! I personally would fain host a dinner party with such majesty and aplomb as Ms. Brunker. RTE!!! I commend you to the highest ranks of the international entertainment industry. Your higher-ranking executives walk as gods among men. I salute you.

um.

had a thought. what if you had a computer with a TV-in card? i presume that falls under the realm of the TV licencer's domain, but it's less obviously a TV than a regular TV set.

point is, are you charged a licence for the actual TV, or for the arial/NTL connection?

lmd64 said:
um.

had a thought. what if you had a computer with a TV-in card? i presume that falls under the realm of the TV licencer's domain, but it's less obviously a TV than a regular TV set.

point is, are you charged a licence for the actual TV, or for the arial/NTL connection?
I think you're charged for thinking about Derek Mooney. Or something.

lmd64 said:
i beg to differ, "The Dinner Party" is a masterstroke of televisual genius. Such wit! such banter! Such interesting people! I personally would fain host a dinner party with such majesty and aplomb as Ms. Brunker. RTE!!! I commend you to the highest ranks of the international entertainment industry. Your higher-ranking executives walk as gods among men. I salute you.

Actually the first time I watched it was ther 1.am repeat on Friday, I was a little under the influence of some natural roll up cigarettes and started ringing people to tell them to turn on Network 2 and watch RTE's finest hour as it happens... thought I had discovered a new form of televisual gold... especially when the D4 bloke called you wan "...such a massive filthy slut"... I nearly passed out...

subsequent episodes have to lead me to beleve I was halucinating.

got nabbed a year or so ago. so bloke from the post offic turns up and asks for my licence, since the tv was blaring in the background didnt have a leg to stand on.

also checked out the law at the time, its insane. if you have a cable connection and no tv you still have to get a licence the idea being you have "eqipment to carry a tv signal" so rabbit ears , video cables and the like can land you a fine even if you never owned a tv.

as far as i know there is some big database that an post runs called the geo directory that holds details of where everyone lives so thats how the track you.

lmd64 said:

What do you make of that fast show rip off "stew". It has a very "convent school christmas variety show in aid of the missions" feel about it methinks...
I think the only watchable thing rte produce is "the panel"
and the three main characters in that make their living in perfidious albion.
I feel like sending gay byrnes head to joe duffy, during liveline..imagine that..

Pantone247 said:
also if you have no TV but only a radio you have to cough up as well.

huh? is this true? i didnt think it went that far.

maybe they could bring in a pay-per-listen thing - you know, 20 cents for every mystery train u tune into, 5 cents for the weather forecast and they'd pay u to listen to gerry ryan or dave fanning or phillip butcher hayes

Pantone247 said:
also if you have no TV but only a radio you have to cough up as well
you do? my parents have approximately 6,701 radios and no TV, and they've never paid a licence.
this may of course be due to the fact that their house is almost impossible to find.

there are a couple of good sketches in Stew but overall it's really poor...the student sketch is probably the worst comedy *piece* ever televised. It's just awful. I think the Panel is alright..one of the better efforts by RTE overall.

Super Dexta said:
you do? my parents have approximately 6,701 radios and no TV, and they've never paid a licence.

As far as I know, yer potentially recieving RTE services so.. cha-ching... or we send the boys around... Think you pay less, and I imagine you've little chance of being done for evasion.

I didn't see any tv for about 3 months there and got some rabbit ears recently so we have a snowey rte. Anyway, has anyone else noticed that after not seeing tv for that long the first ad you see just seems so pathetic. Ads become laughable.

ps: jane, you're american, when are RTE going to phone you up for your opinion on American politics/election? They seem to have anyone with an american accent on these days.

kirstie said:
here

do you still need a dog licence?
you do indeed...there are some expections (if the dog is 6 months or younger or something like that).

who was it that said that it's crazy because you need a licence for a dog but anybody can have a kid ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back