Battle of the strikers (1 Viewer)

P. Littbarski

i wouldnt agree with all of the analysis below, but would agree with the fact that Henry is a better all- round player...

his assists record, his free kicks, his goals, his pace...definitely the best player in the premiership and probably the best striker in europe.

The Premiership boasts two of the hottest strikers in Europe in Ruud van Nistelrooy and Thierry Henry.

But who is the sharpest shooter? BBC Sport Online puts Van Nistelrooy and Henry head-to-head to find out who is number one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finishing
Neither player has struggled to hit the back of the net this season, but Van Nistelrooy is the more predatory.

Henry was generally used as a winger in his Juventus days and even the French national team played him out wide until Arsene Wenger converted him to a centre-forward.

Thierry Henry profile
Henry scores some fabulous goals - witness his recent solo stunner against Tottenham - but Van Nistelrooy is more likely to tap home a penalty box rebound.
Van Nistelrooy: 9 out of 10
Henry: 8

All-round play
Henry might be Arsenal's goalscorer-in-chief but he makes a massive amount of chances for the likes of Dennis Bergkamp, Sylvain Wiltord and Kanu.

The Frenchman can pass and dribble brilliantly as well as score.

Van Nistelrooy: 17 goals this season
Premiership: 8
Champions League: 8
International: 1
Van Nistelrooy might say he has no-one to create chances for, since he is all too often isolated in attack for Manchester United.

Neither man is particularly comfortable tackling. Van Nistelrooy is better at heading a ball, but Henry's all-round attacking threat edges this battle.
Van Nistelrooy: 7

Pace
No competition.

Van Nistelrooy is no slouch but Henry is electric, with or without the ball.
Van Nistelrooy: 8
Henry: 10

Power
"I've got more physical strength than I had at the end of last season," said Van Nistelrooy after his double against Basle.

The United star believes that bulking up can help make him the complete striker but he is no shrinking violet now.

Henry is the leaner of the pair but he boasts a sinewy strength which makes him difficult to knock off the ball.

Commitment
Strikers will never cover as much ground as midfielders but Van Nistelrooy and Henry both do their share of hard graft.

Henry: 15 goals this season
Premiership: 7
Champions League: 6
International: 2
The Dutchman also showed how big a heart he has by successfully coming back from the serious knee injury which delayed his transfer to Old Trafford.

He has also never stopped trying this season even when United have struggled.

But Henry will point to the extra miles he covers in each game as he generally drops deeper than Van Nistelrooy to help launch Arsenal attacks.

Discipline
Since he came into English football at the start of the 2001-2002 campaign, Van Nistelrooy has picked up nine yellow cards (three this season so far; six last) and no reds.

Henry has received nine yellow cards in the same period (two this season so far; seven last) but, crucially, he has also been sent-off in that time.

The red card came during the World Cup as the Arsenal man was given his marching orders for a late tackle against Uruguay, during France's brief campaign in the Far East.

There is always the fear that Henry will snap - as proved on the biggest stage in the summer - and that means Van Nistelrooy is ahead in this department.
Van Nistelrooy: 7
Henry: 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totals (out of 60)
Van Nistelrooy: 47
Henry: 48

We make Henry the winner - but it could not be closer.

Both men have proved themselves to be great goalscorers and committed to their teams, both at club and international level.

But it is Henry's searing pace and ability to make chances for others as well as score them himself which places him just ahead of Van Nistelrooy.

For me, Shevchenko is better than both.

And Owen.... I know he's Liverpool scum, but on his day, he is the best in the world. Prick

I was sorry to see the Ukraine miss out on the world cup, he deserved to go. And of course, as a bonus, it would have meant those German bastards wouldn't have been there...

Originally posted by michaelknight
I was sorry to see the Ukraine miss out on the world cup, he deserved to go. And of course, as a bonus, it would have meant those German bastards wouldn't have been there...

yeah... except for the fact that they are utter cack.

Belarus are the new team to look out for, if CM01/02 is anything to go by.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
yeah... except for the fact that they are utter cack.

Belarus are the new team to look out for, if CM01/02 is anything to go by.

got any codes for going straight to International management then?

back in the old cm 97/98 days you just stuck in the name of the real international manager

Glenn Hoddle
Craig Brown
Mike England
Mick McCarthy

dunno, i usually wait till i'm offered a job....
old skool, like

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back