Bar-saa-loooo-naaaaaAAAAA (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

Imortalised by one Freddie Mercury and some Fat Howir... can anyone lay out the pro's and con's of this fair Catalan City...

A whats Hot and What's Not, if you will...

I cant believe I just said that, a job in top 30 hits awaits

Mesel an th' wan are off there next month... so wheres good to go?

tanx
Ianonono

(P.S. and if a certain little niece on this bord mentions anything to her auntie, heads will roll if you ruin the suprise)

Originally posted by Ian
Imortalised by one Freddie Mercury and some Fat Howir... can anyone lay out the pro's and con's of this fair Catalan City...

A whats Hot and What's Not, if you will...

I cant believe I just said that, a job in top 30 hits awaits

Mesel an th' wan are off there next month... so wheres good to go?

tanx
Ianonono

(P.S. and if a certain little niece on this bord mentions anything to her auntie, heads will roll if you ruin the suprise)

I'm there at the start of next month... I'll probably be there from the first to about the sixth. I was there last summer, so I have an idea (although I was pretty much drunk and revelling for the whole thing).

make sure you go see park güell. its accessible by metro and escalators. go to metro stop 'fontana', exit the station by the left side, walk up the stairs and continue walking down the street (the stairs point the way). go down the street for about 2 blocks and on your left you'll see an entire hill-like street with escalators taking you to the top. amazing sight to be seen. at the top you'll get to one of the entrances of the park, if you continue walking up the dirt track (its in a spiralling kinda way) you'll get to a brick mound with a cross. you can walk to the stop of this and you'll be able to see all over the city. its incredible, it as to be seen. also, wander to the main part of the park and you'll see gaudis temple/ house/ and other bits and bobs.

also, good look at them building the sagrada familiala (typo?), it still in cnstruction with about 200 years i think. the zoo has the worlds only albino guerilla... if you monkeys and the sort.

senorita.

matt sharpe wrote 'seven more minutes' there. buy some bird seed on las ramblas. and don't buy hashish off dodgy looking people. don't forget the tapas.

Snowflake

D'gorillas called Snowflake - and he's only lurvely! - didn't go see him mind but got a postcard...

Some really daycent restaurants around - I got the Timeout guide and twas v. helpful so I recommend that for starters. One of the best ones we went to was called Pla - haven't a clue what street it was on but it's well worth finding.

Have a good walk up & down Pasieg de Gracia - it's got lots of Gaudi on it - plenty of shops for herself and a lorra tapas bars for you to take a load of while she's off shopping :)

Also, if you fancy a day at the beach head down to Sitges - it's down the coast from Barcelona and the train takes about half an hour - you'll get it from the rail station on the Pasieg de Gracia...

Great spot - have a great time :D :D :D

Originally posted by Ian
I

hoo hoo!

break her face!

yeah!

(i better be careful as shes sitting beside me.)

That's a great spot indeed! It's a brilliant city, there's a lot to see and to do, you're gonna love it.

...What's hot? Oh man *IT* is hot, so bloody hot..... expect 40 degrees if you go now... on the other hand in August is really quiet so you really feel like the city is "yours".

Manage to rent a scooter or something, that's the best way to get around and you can find one cheap

There's an amazing vintage guitar shop off one of the side streets on Las Ramblas, bout a quater way down on the right if your heading toward the sea. Also theres some good record shops in that direction aswell.

The best record shop that I found, and will never find again, is in the opposite direction (left off Las Ramblas) you need to walk for about fifteen minutes down loads of different streets......I'm gonna stop cause these are the worst directions ever.

I'll get back to ya.........

tanx for all the feedback, I'm making notes in my diary...

Sparce, where dems wekka stows???

Can anyone help me with a URL for rail travel in Spain and hotel booking etc... All the ones I found are confusing, cosa Iya donna speaka da lingo si

x

There is a place called Placa Reial (sp?) halfway down las Ramblas
on the left. It is a huge square with bars all round it. Go to a bar called "Glacier" in one of the corners. Sit out and drink lots of "Damm" beer. It's my favourite place in the world. Watch out for the weirdo types though. Glacier does have a guy to stop the tramps/smackheads etc. Gaudi was given his first comission for the city to design the lamp posts in the middle of the square (though they don't really look that "gaudi-ish".

On Las Ramblas there is a bar called Cafe de L'opera. It is so cool. Go there and enjoy booze, tapas and cake.

All of Gaudi's stuff is amazing. The top of Casa Milla is one of my favourites. Look up a guide book and go see it all.

There is cool new kind of area developed by the sea - Marmagnum. This place is great for hanging out. Buy a bag of popcorn and feed the mullets there are millions of them.

Enjoy!

that same said square 'Placa Reial ' boosts the tallest palm trees in europe if not the world. watch out for the drug dealers. also, irish pub called molly malone me thinks is just beside it

Eric Blair it ain't

George Orwell Square (Plaza) in the Gothic Quarter has some brilliant relaxed places to eat (esp this little greek fastfood place that does a lipsmackin falafel pitta with lots of natural yogurt :p ) and drink. It also can be a bit dodgy with some drunk/stoned belligerent Catalans milling about, but the ones I saw were moved along swiftly by the cops. It helps not to be a dumb fucker in this area too, keep an eye on yr gear, and if you want 'gear' ain't hard to come by either. All in all I kinda liked Madrid a wee bit better when I was there though

Right.... I´ve had a fucking brilliant week in barcelona. I´ve seen loads and loads of stuff.... I cannot understand why Dublin is twinned with this city. There is so to see in this city.

Gaudi

Parc Guell.... it´s great. Like a dream. Spend the day there.... and get some food for a picnic. Bocadillos are a rip off. You can get there from Vallcarca metro station (Green Line) and just go up the escalators.

Sagrada Familia... it´s going to be incredible when it´s finished, but currently covered in scaffolding. It´s on Linea 2 and the station is called that.

Casa Batllo and La Pedrera are just past Placa de Catalunya. La Pedrera has a cafe on the roof, and on the weekends between May and September, you can go up at night and see a lot of the city.
Casa Batllo is expensive, but is ridiculously impressive.

Other stuff.
Barcelona´s stadium (The Nou Camp) is at the metro station Collblanc. It´s pretty impressive, considering it can fit well over 100,000 people.

Placa de Espanya. This is the best. Between Thursday and Sunday during the summer, every half hour between 9.30 and 11.30 there is an amazing light and music show. Go up to the museum at the top and look down. In the distance there is a massive church on a huge hill that´s lit up and is in line with the street, It´s brilliant (yer mot will think ye´re massive)....

Monserrat. This is about 40 kms outside the city. You can get an FGC train from Espanya station to it. Spend about two days there.... go camping or whatever. It has incredible views right over Catalonia and is really tranquil.

Montjuic. This is the big hill beside the city. You can get a cable car across to it from the port. It´s really nice there.

Other tips;
If you eat in any of the restaurants try not to order anything other than wine or water. They rip you off seriously with the drinks. Bocatta... a fast food chain there, make nice food and it´s a lot cheaper.

La Rambla is full of scum bags, but there is a much bigger police presence so it´s not as bad as it used to be.

Kabul in Placa Reial (off La Rambla) is a good hostel run in English. It´s a bit loud though and full of frat boys.

Don´t swim in the sea when you go to the beach....

So yeah.... Barcelona has loads to offer... oh! The Dali museum is not in Barcelona, but further up the cost of Catalonia....

Okay... I´m off to bed. Off to Bilbao early tomorrow to meet my beautiful señorita friends and take in some high art in Europe´s best modern building... the Guggenheim.

great stuff. yes, i too <baa>am off to barcelona shortly</baa>.

anyone got any nice cheap hotel recommendations? i'm thinking a bit comfier than hostel (because self and the fella are off for a nice rosemantic week away) but not too terrifyingly 'spensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back