Ballroom Birthday Bash (Sun Aug 3rd) (4 Viewers)

roxy said:
Who was that girl on Sunday who was the spit of Twiggy in every way imaginable!! Her dress was incredible - large flowing garment with big circular patterns and gathered with a belt at the top of the thighs, revealing a lorra leg. And she had the hair - the big fringe an' all. I thought she was deadly, like! I could never wear something like that. Fair dues to her!

That's a friend o'mine. Partypiece = dancing on stage miming badly to song while disgruntled boyfriend looks on.

I'll send on your eloquent description...

Class

pete said:
is this stage located in the george by any chance?

More like the Hill 16. There was some guy flicking beer mats at us during our set! I thought everybody was going to start at one point.
Nothing like polarising a crowd!

Anyway....

Highlights (for me):

Holy Ghost Fathers
Steerage
The Last Sound
Papercop getting hassle from the man, man.
The drumming in Boxes

Each one of these things gave me the shiver-down-spine-holy-fuck vibe.

And Thanks:
Allen, Billy, Phil, Aodh.

Bryan (not Mr. Creosote)

roxy said:
Well done to all involved. The CD is brilliant. Captures the atmosphere superbly in places.
You make it special though, Thomas!

Well thanks very much...I was surprised as anyone...but it is a special little bit isn't it. I'm so chuffed to have been included. :D

!baggyyyy

quote:However the Bar Manager and Engineer decided it wasn't 'safe' to leave the desk in our control and so the engineer decided to stay until the end. The engineer told PC to turn down. I didn't hear what he said so maybe Gav can clarify?

basically we were just getting into our thing(which btw is hard to do just after the holy ghost fathers let me tell you) when the sound engineer came over and told us to turn down..we wouldn't so he did it for us.. all the monitors stopped so we couldn't hear what was going on. I walked off stage in a huff..ferg and the boys kept going but by that stage things had gone a little pear shaped. Basically the guy didn't like the kind of stuff we were doing and wanted to shut us down. It was the same when he saw bryan going to the drums. I suppose he perpetuates the myth that sound engineers are mostly pricks..I dont think Dave Foley (formika) was that impressed either. Having said all that it was a monsta night and we were honoured to be part of it. It was cool of the guys to include something parallel to th whole rock thing. .|..| .|..| :cool:

egg_ said:
Dude, why didn't you turn down when he asked? He's totally entitled to ask a band to turn down if he thinks his PA is going to be damaged

..a) because there was no danger of his p.a. being damaged.
..b) we've played that loud at loads of venues and never been told to turn down.
..c) given the context and attitude of the guy who was asking we couldn't have given a toss what he wanted.

yeah but you did just say you walked off stage in a huff!
were you wearing sunglasses at the time, BONO!!
lol :)
KLAJSD!!!

RAD-ALARM said:
yeah but you did just say you walked off stage in a huff!
were you wearing sunglasses at the time, BONO!!
lol :)
KLAJSD!!!

..were you the fat jack osbourne lookalike?? lol.
the huff thing was a joke.

..btw. the glasses are for seeing and not tinted. Maybe you need yours updated. lo..l.

It all sounds a bit retarded. If the band is 'too loud', then surely dropping those little faders on the desk would've sorted that out? Turning the power amp down? slapping a bigass compressor across the mix? I'm puzzled, to tell the truth.

no matter what the reason, walking off a stage in a huff is always the right thing to do! gives the whole thing more artistic integrity.

j lo will vouch for that one

i wanted blue smarties in the changing room and evian water
and now this hairy primate is telling me to tone it down a little

respect

Latex lizzie said:
a) because there was no danger of his p.a. being damaged.
b) we've played that loud at loads of venues and never been told to turn down.
c) given the context and attitude of the guy who was asking we couldn't have given a toss what he wanted.
G I know you're a good guy so I don't want you to see this as a personal attack but really ... if I was a soundman and I asked a band to turn down for whatever reason and they refused, I would think 'what a bunch of assholes'. Do you think I would do a good job for you afterwards? Not fucking likely
I realise I may not have the full story but ... well, he could have had perfectly good reasons for asking you to turn down. If the guitar amp was too loud and it was swamping all the other instruments (and he couldn't turn the other shit up more without getting feedback) wouldn't you think he should ask the guitar player to turn down? I'd be glad if he did, it'd show he was doing his job and gave a shit about the sound.
And y'know, it is possible to damage speakers with excessive volume. If an amp was louder at the vocal mic than the vocal it could cause all sorts of feedback problems in the monitors (which can damage speakers)

egg_ said:
G I know you're a good guy so I don't want you to see this as a personal attack but really ... if I was a soundman and I asked a band to turn down for whatever reason and they refused, I would think 'what a bunch of assholes'. Do you think I would do a good job for you afterwards? Not fucking likely
I realise I may not have the full story but ... well, he could have had perfectly good reasons for asking you to turn down. If the guitar amp was too loud and it was swamping all the other instruments (and he couldn't turn the other shit up more without getting feedback) wouldn't you think he should ask the guitar player to turn down? I'd be glad if he did, it'd show he was doing his job and gave a shit about the sound.
And y'know, it is possible to damage speakers with excessive volume. If an amp was louder at the vocal mic than the vocal it could cause all sorts of feedback problems in the monitors

...I agree with all of the above under normal circumstances egg. You too are a lovley bunny of of a fella..my missus even loved you singlet you were wearing the other night. ;) .so we discussing is all..It was just the manner in which that guy was going about his buisness is all..being professional has loads of levels..he came across as "right lets get this over..it's late I wanna go home and watch the fight and have a beer.." he was rude and agro later and wanted to mess with the running order..?? who did he think he was? the boys had all this worked out before so surely he knew what was gonna occur? we werent gonna change what we have been doing for the last two years over a knob like him..I totally see you point at the same time tho.

AlphaRelish said:
i think punk rock and general boldness is the issue here, not soundperson/band etiquette.

yeah the sugar club is just totally synonymous with punk rock
gimme five on the side - oh you 2 slow!
andrew

snakybus said:
Derek let one rip on stage

maybe that's what you're on about?

it was a cover version of one of Howe Gelb's farts

I've heard if you DI a distorted fart, it sounds like shit...

Nobody complained about Boxes being too loud - which they were - that was the point when I realised 8 hours of ROCK at extreme volumes equals "UUUUUUUUUUUUUwhat?UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUWHAT??UUUUUUUUUU" the next day. Thankfully though they were excellent and made me feel like a wuss.

The Papercop-stopping>Formika-reducing>Herv-shortening debacle was very unfortunate.

Still though....Oh what a night

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back