Balearic thread (1 Viewer)

Balearic beat, also known as Balearic house, initially was an eclectic blend of DJ-led dance music that emerged in the mid-1980s.[1][2] It later became the name of a more specific style of electronic dance music that was popular into the mid-1990s. Balearic beat was named for its popularity among European nightclub and beach rave patrons on the Balearic island of Ibiza, a popular tourist destination. Some dance music compilations referred to it as "the sound of Ibiza," even though many other, more aggressive and upbeat forms of dance music could be heard on the island.

there was a whole dance music scene that had its base in Ibiza. Not just the throwaway dance nonsense that you'd have heard on the radio around that time (Roger Sanchez, Armand Van Buren, etc) but pretty cool stuff that drew from a couple of different genres. The videos above give a good idea of that. Music from indie, pop and even some modern classical type music would have fit the bill.

I have the first 9 CDs in this collection;

Café del Mar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pretty good stuff. Must work on getting the others

I hope nobody minds if I re-ignite this thread. I googled Balearic Beat in Dublin and was brought here, so it would be rude not to leave something behind. This one's a cracker, and no mistake.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, Missing by Everything But The Girl maybe a great pop song, but it deffo ain't Balearic. The dude who posted it has been banned, hopefully for this large error.

I hope nobody minds if I re-ignite this thread. I googled Balearic Beat in Dublin and was brought here, so it would be rude not to leave something behind. This one's a cracker, and no mistake.

Also, Missing by Everything But The Girl maybe a great pop song, but it deffo ain't Balearic. The dude who posted it has been banned, hopefully for this large error.

thats a great song. And the remixes of the EBTG song were definitely on heavy rotation back then too, so definitely has a place here.

Sorry for being rude and all. I thought you were banned. Anyway, A big Ibiza hit in the mid 90s, by which time Balearic Beat had come and gone. But hey, who am I to start laying down the feckin law? Its a free country. The best thing about Balearic Beat was, anything goes.

Have another while I'm here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back