Bad Brains is playing London and not Dublin? (1 Viewer)

I think I would find it difficult to get excited about them playing here. I'd still end up going,but more for the wreck it would be than anything else.
Still,there's no hope of them playing here anyway,so nothing to worry about.

I think I would find it difficult to get excited about them playing here. I'd still end up going,but more for the wreck it would be than anything else.
Still,there's no hope of them playing here anyway,so nothing to worry about.

Good memories, bad idea. LAst time I saw them was 1999 or 2000 playing as "Soul Brains", supported by an ill-advisedly reunited Cro-Mags. It was atrocious. It's like digging up a corpse because you miss the person who died. Nice thought, big mistake. A few classics, but HR decided to do this impromptu and improvisational stoner jam that went on for about a thousand years and really wrecked most people's buzz.

And oh lord, I don't even remember what incarnation of the Cro-Mags that was, but it made me wonder what sort of judgement I had ever had as a teenager. Do they still have two rival versions of the Cro-Mags both using the same name? US hardcore scene politics make the Irish Civil War look simple. "Wait, so first these two guys hated each other and now they're back together?" "No, they're in different bands with the same name." "How do they know which band they're in?" "Apparently, you just make sure you know which band you're in in relation to the junkie with the japa beads, and you're fine."

EDIT: Bad brains are putting out an album of new material? Oh no. This can't be good.

never really been crazy about Bad Brains. I enjoy their records but would rather see the some of the other bands of that time play live.. would head to see them though!
bad religion a few years ago in the ambassador was great.

EDIT: Bad brains are putting out an album of new material? Oh no. This can't be good.

New record's out. It's beyond awful,really. HR may as well not have ben there his vocals are so weak. I'll watch the CBGB's dvd instead thanks.
Cro Mags/FVK played here last year and were great.

never really been crazy about Bad Brains. I enjoy their records but would rather see the some of the other bands of that time play live.. would head to see them though!
quote]

Of all the footage I've seem of old hardcore bands,I can't imagine any coming even close to what Bad Brains were at that time.

New record's out. It's beyond awful,really. HR may as well not have ben there his vocals are so weak. I'll watch the CBGB's dvd instead thanks.
Cro Mags/FVK played here last year and were great.

I just can't bring myself to get stuff from bands who've been in a decline for years, and I find it hard to see them (although you already know I make exceptions for AC/DC) without feeling some sense that I'm in mourning. I dunno, even if the Cro Mags were as much fun as they were 35,000 years ago (see what I did there?) I don't think I'd enjoy them the way I did then.

Although, after my 'junkie with japa beads' comment, I actually had a dream that Harley Flanagan ended up deciding he wanted to be my friend, and he was all lovely, and I felt really bad. So now I feel really bad about that. Hare Krshna, hare rama, etc.

is the new bad brains rubbish then?
i liked that one single (?) that was doin the rounds a few months ago

Looks like we just lost another. I dunno what the single from the album was,but even taking any of the songs out of context they were still bad. I reckon that record they did without HR could even be better.

I just can't bring myself to get stuff from bands who've been in a decline for years, and I find it hard to see them (although you already know I make exceptions for AC/DC) without feeling some sense that I'm in mourning. I dunno, even if the Cro Mags were as much fun as they were 35,000 years ago (see what I did there?) I don't think I'd enjoy them the way I did then.

Although, after my 'junkie with japa beads' comment, I actually had a dream that Harley Flanagan ended up deciding he wanted to be my friend, and he was all lovely, and I felt really bad. So now I feel really bad about that. Hare Krshna, hare rama, etc.

I didn't buy the Bad Brains,I wasn't gonna take that risk,but the hype leading up to it was that Adam Yauch had got them more into the style of playing from the first record etc. Couldn't be further from the truth.
That Cro Mags gig,I'm sure had they played songs not from the first lp I wouldn't have been so into it. But all they played was 1st lp and some early Bad Brains. That'll do me.

song i heard was 'universal peace' - i dug it, specially
the first half of the song...went all dub vox and chuggy
after that

rest of the record like that?

I didn't buy the Bad Brains,I wasn't gonna take that risk,but the hype leading up to it was that Adam Yauch had got them more into the style of playing from the first record etc. Couldn't be further from the truth.
That Cro Mags gig,I'm sure had they played songs not from the first lp I wouldn't have been so into it. But all they played was 1st lp and some early Bad Brains. That'll do me.

I saw the Adam Yauch credit, and that's what I assumed he'd try, but not even the most powerful wizard could make it work because it was less about style and more about the energy of that moment in time that made the Bad Brains what they were.

That's what is such a bummer about going to see old hardcore bands, that because it was less about any musical innovation and more about energy and youth and being this incredibly powerful combination of pissed off and positive. It can't be manufactured, but I guess in a way, the fact that it can't be reproduced under modern conditions is just testament to the kind of energy the scene had. Sometimes bands can recapture it a bit when they play their old stuff, but I'm almost always let down. For me, it's never more exciting than, "Yeah, that'll do me."

That said, I think I'm gonna dig out I Against I and rock the fuck out later. Because good christ, was that an amazing album -- my very favourite. AAAAAHHHHH! House of Suffering! YAAAAH!

That said, I think I'm gonna dig out I Against I and rock the fuck out later. Because good christ, was that an amazing album -- my very favourite. AAAAAHHHHH! House of Suffering! YAAAAH!

.|..|.|..|.|..|
_az_thebeavis_images_headbang.jpg

:)
- leigh

Saw them as an unsuspecting yoof in Reading in 92.

I bought I Against I a zillion years ago and think I listened to it about once a zillion years ago.

Worth revisiting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back