Back to Education Allowance (1 Viewer)

doesn't look likely

"If you already have an undergraduate third-level qualification, (i.e., you already have a degree) your application for a Back to Education Allowance while pursuing post-graduate education will only be considered if you are doing certain courses. There have been much changes in this area in the past few months. You should get in touch directly with the Back to Education Allowance Section at the Department of Social and Family Affairs to check the current position."

from http://citizensinformation.ie/categ...back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Nice one.didn't think so anyway.
Would I get judged on my own means when applying for a grant?I wasn't eligible for my degree...even though I lived away from home I was judged on my folks means.

You MIGHT get it for a masters. Probably not, but it depends. Ask them and apply anyway, even if they say no.

If you lived away from home, you should not have been judged on your folks' means. At this stage, you should be judged on your own (I'm assuming you're more than 25 considering you've been posting on thumped since the year dot). Though that applies to the Social only. Not sure about grants and stuff from local authorities.

Would I get judged on my own means when applying for a grant?I wasn't eligible for my degree...even though I lived away from home I was judged on my folks means.

If you're over the age of 23 and live away from home then you're assessed as a 'mature independent candidate'. I think the income limit for full fees and full maintenance is around €33,000. It's on the Dublin City Council website if you do a search for HEA grants.

Back to education allowance isnt a grant tho - ultimately it is for people who are on the dole... if they want to go back to college etc they get a weekly amount( the same as the dole but instead their payment is now called BEA) and money towards their college expenses once a year, exemption from fees etc etc. Think you have to be on the dole for 6 months before you are elligible for it. i was on it for a year or so after i had my little dude and wanted to finish my last year of college - its not a grant like a Higher Education Grant from the council tho. And as far as i know if you already have a degree its really hard to get the allowance for a masters or phd etc cause they way they see it, you should be able to get a job if you have a degree!

Back to education allowance isnt a grant tho - ultimately it is for people who are on the dole... if they want to go back to college etc they get a weekly amount( the same as the dole but instead their payment is now called BEA) and money towards their college expenses once a year, exemption from fees etc etc. Think you have to be on the dole for 6 months before you are elligible for it. i was on it for a year or so after i had my little dude and wanted to finish my last year of college - its not a grant like a Higher Education Grant from the council tho. And as far as i know if you already have a degree its really hard to get the allowance for a masters or phd etc cause they way they see it, you should be able to get a job if you have a degree!

Yeah you would think you could get a job with a degree but so far since getting mine I cant, and most everyone from my class have been unable to get a job in the field we want so I'm toying with the idea of the academia route. The masters I want to do is a different field so fingers crossed I might actually get a job I like doing from it if I dont follow the acedemia route.

Thanks for the info i'll definetly look at the independant candidate grants.

Im on back to education at the mo. I think that if you are on BEA and do yer degree you can continue to receive it if you go immediately into a further course. It has to be a step up from your degree though. My college year is over this week and I intend finding out the ins and outs of it properly. Will post here if I get any proper info.

Im on back to education at the mo. I think that if you are on BEA and do yer degree you can continue to receive it if you go immediately into a further course. It has to be a step up from your degree though. My college year is over this week and I intend finding out the ins and outs of it properly. Will post here if I get any proper info.

I didn't get it extended from undergrad when I went straight into a masters. Can't remember the ins and outs of it though-they have a bit of leeway on it in the scratcher. I got it intially without being on the scratch for the rquisite time period whereas other pple I know didn't. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I know they have tightened up since I finished though in 2005...

I didn't get it extended from undergrad when I went straight into a masters. Can't remember the ins and outs of it though-they have a bit of leeway on it in the scratcher. I got it intially without being on the scratch for the rquisite time period whereas other pple I know didn't. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I know they have tightened up since I finished though in 2005...

I got a form I had to send back last week and towards the bottom you had to tick a box saying if you were going back to continue yer undergraduate course or approved post grad course in the coming college year. Might be a case that you have to convince them to keep giving you BEA allowance for a post grad course. Probably very restricted but worth applying for anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back