Australia-1 YEAR (1 Viewer)

clonan attack

Website
www.myspace.com
Hey,

So I'm probably gonna jack the job in at the end of the summer and head over to the other side of the world for a year.

Would be great if people who have done the year in Australia could post up their itinirary/route/experiences and whatnot.

Would prefer to go in a group but willing to go on my own. Lookin to get out in September for my 25th burty and stay until im 26. But thats beside the point, so stories?

Don't work. Seriously, save up enough money here or get a loan. Or at least don't work during their summer. It's too hot to work. I did 2 days working for vodafone, 1/2 day of furniture removals and 2 days fruit picking. No fun at all when it's 38c. What is fun is sitting around outside in your boxers at your house in melbourne, supping on a beer, sweat rolling off your forehead, listening to AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Want to Rock'n'Roll).....:p
Fantastic pies there too.

im hopefully going travelling next year and australia is probably the one place i dont want to visit.
it might sound silly but everyone i know whos gone has always ended up living in a big gaff with 10 other irish people and thats just not cool.

im hopefully going travelling next year and australia is probably the one place i dont want to visit.
it might sound silly but everyone i know whos gone has always ended up living in a big gaff with 10 other irish people and thats just not cool.

Likewise Australia is way way down my list of places I wanna visit, however New Zealand is way up there.

Well then choose not to stay in a gaff with irish people you pleb! Get your head out of your own anus.

I lived in a wicked area called Cronulla for the majority of my time in Sydney. No irish or english stereotype backpackers, 45 minutes from the city by train, amazing beach, lots of nice weed, friendly town.

Its what u make of it. Travelling to, and seeing, Ayers Rock was one of the best things i ever did. An amazing experience. Australia is a fascinating country.

And Melbourne is nicer than Sydney. Not as sickenly cosmopolitan and a has a cool music scene.

I recommend doing it on your own, Clonan. And dont do the fruitpicking. Load of over-romantised bollox.

well he's not really an idiot is he? I mean if we're to follow the thread question, he is being logically helpful whereas your just predicting what i will do (which by the way is the polar opposite, particularly if i go on my own)

Melbourne was gonna be my focus, plus when i say itinerary i mean all those other countries before/during/after (NZ, Asia)

well he's not really an idiot is he? I mean if we're to follow the thread question, he is being logically helpful whereas your just predicting what i will do (which by the way is the polar opposite, particularly if i go on my own)

good for you, and i do mean that.
but seriously, ill say whatever the 10 penny bag of meanies i want to say.
i wasnt predicting what you were going to do, if you read back on what i typed. it was merely an observation on what a lot of people seem to do, coupled with that my own lack of excitement for australia.
telling someone to get their head out of their own anus, whilst funny is dangerous. know what i mean cochise.

anyway, have an amazing time dude, and ive heard fruitpicking is quite overrated.

you guys who want to head out that side of the world and avoid Oz - fools!
it is what you make of it. irish people are easy enough to avoid. you can do anything in oz; surf, snowboard, go see bands play, go outback and get away from it all, encounter spiders so huge you nearly have a heart attack, etc.
sure its wonderful!

but yeah if youre that far, hop on a plane and see new zealand. mindblowingly beautiful country.

Do it man. Its rad.

I saved up money at home and bought a one way round-the-world ticket.
Which got me to australia but not home.

I spent all my savings swaning around South America and New Zealand seeing amazing crap and having an amazing time. The best experience of my life so far.

I then arrived in Australia with just enough money to get set up and started doing all sorts of jobs to support yourself once over here.

I never did fruitpicking, but many people think its great. It's hard work but it can provide an extension on your visa. Also you can end up doing it in some lovely beachy type places, meet friends etc. Thats something you can decide to do or not when you get here.

feel free to pm

Oz is class...I spent 5 months in Sydney...saved enough from working there to have 2 months boozing on the East Coast...then spent 4 months living and working in Melbourne.

Melbourne is so much nicer than Sydney...its like Galway, to Sydney's Dublin...Sydney was a nice starting point but living in Bondi Junction was too much like an Irish colony...I saw county jerseys I never knew existed...not the real Oz...The east coast is an international collection of boozehounds...great craic but again not mixing with much Aussies.

So Melbourne I actually did mix with Aussies...not mad about them...prefer the Kiwis instead! But Melbourne has a great live scene and is so much easier to get around.

While you're over that side of the world make sure you allow a few months in SE Asia too...Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia.

And don't buy a round the world ticket...they expire after a year, and your plans might change...you may want to stay away from Ireland longer than a year...unless of course you're a lazy drunkard and you feel you may piss away the price of your return ticket and be stuck.

im looking into staying a spell in new zealand - it says in the work visa eligibility details that you must "be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old". Do reckon if your 30 when you apply/arrive its ok? or would you have to be 29? I know i could email them and ask but i bet someone here knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back