Aslan - Feel No Shame (1 Viewer)

CinnamonBoy

I don't care what, This Is is one of my favourite songs ever. So I'm thinking, maybe Aslan's 1988 debut could be good.

Has anyone listened to it?

(Horrible cover, mind.)

314rF1et4wL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

i went to one of their limerick gigs years ago and was well impressed. i was surprised as i had always disliked them (and continue to do so still). they were very professional and tight as a band and christy was a fine singer and showman, as mentioned above. he had the crowd wrapped around his little finger. everyone went wild when he took off his top and went parading along the awning over the bar in only his tracksuit bottoms and runners. they played a cover of The Velvet Undergrounds "Stephanie Says". personally i wouldnt dream of buying one of their albums.

i went to one of their limerick gigs years ago and was well impressed. i was surprised as i had always disliked them (and continue to do so still). they were very professional and tight as a band and christy was a fine singer and showman, as mentioned above. he had the crowd wrapped around his little finger. everyone went wild when he took off his top and went parading along the awning over the bar in only his tracksuit bottoms and runners. they played a cover of The Velvet Undergrounds "Stephanie Says". personally i wouldnt dream of buying one of their albums.
i worked with them on a number of occasions and i must admit that they are a seriously professional band.
i suppose its easier when you have teenage roadies what worship the aslan soundchecking and loading in/out for them for free.

I saw them in Trinity a few years ago and they were deadly then too.

Come on, This Is is a great song. Feel No Shame will probably be in Mojo's Buried Treasure in 10 years time. I'm going to buy it today if Golden Discs Dun Laoghaire is open, fuck it.

Christy Dignam was a guest lecturer when i was in college. Funny fucker.

I seen them a few years ago in NUI Galway student bar, they are great performers. It was a free gig too and across the road from us you couldn't not go. But it was one of the best nights I had at gigs, they are great live

I don't care what, This Is is one of my favourite songs ever. So I'm thinking, maybe Aslan's 1988 debut could be good.

Has anyone listened to it?

(Horrible cover, mind.)

314rF1et4wL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I think I heard somewhere that the kid off that album cover grew up to be the drummer in U2.

If you like that song you should get the album. I loved it when it came out circa 1987. 13-year old ears may not have taken as much impressing as the older version do now, but I had this on non-stop back in the day. Sadly my copy got mangled in my cheap ghetto-blaster that I got for xmas one christmas and I never replaced it.

From recollection there were 2 decent songs (imhoho), they being 'down on me' and 'pretty thing'. Nothing else too earth shattering.

I remember seeing Aslan in Slane that summer of '87. I think they won some new bands competition to get the opening slot to support Bowie that year.

Its kind of sad what happened them since. I know yer man's had his problems and that, but they should have been bigger than the Dublin pub scene.

Remember they released one song as Aslan (as opposed to Precious Stones) without Christy Dignam? I think it was '89ish. He had a double-A side single at the same time. It wasn't very good.

saw them a good bit as a kid, thought they were good at the time, saw them again at a nightclub a few years ago, brutal.
there was a pub in finglas (i think it was the cappagh house, classy joint anyway, id no problem getting served in my school uniform) they'd play crazy world instead of the national anthem some nights, everyone standing with their hands to their heart for aslan, class!!

were they in "saved by the bell", something about Zack trying to get some girl to go to see them that weekend?

nope, now that i think about it they we're only talked about it that episode, it was in the dinner. i'm 99% sure i didnt imagne it.

on the Sunday of Electric Picnic a few of us went into Stradbally to watch the Wexford v Tyrone game. Aslan were playing in the same pub that afternoon.

A group of their fans were eyeballing anyone with an EP wristband and passing muttered comments. Very hostile and their faces screamed CONTEMPT FOR WEIRDOS

Not cool.

on the Sunday of Electric Picnic a few of us went into Stradbally to watch the Wexford v Tyrone game. Aslan were playing in the same pub that afternoon.

A group of their fans were eyeballing anyone with an EP wristband and passing muttered comments. Very hostile and their faces screamed CONTEMPT FOR WEIRDOS

Not cool.
yeah, their gigs are FULL of fights and drunken scumbaggery behaviour. the arseholes i had to put up with was shocking.

Dave Fanning doing something like The History of Irish ROck on Radio Eireann right now

Very much making up for past mistakes by lauding Christy DIgnam to the high heavens

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back