Apple Mac Powerbooks? (2 Viewers)

JeffM

Website
www.jeffmartinmusic.com
Hi, Can somone give me some advice please?

Where is the cheapest place to buy Apple Mac Powerbooks (new not second hand)? They seem to be the same price everywhere, online also, is this the case?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

i don't think there is anywhere to get them cjheaper

JeffM said:

Where is the cheapest place to buy Apple Mac Powerbooks (new not second hand)? They seem to be the same price everywhere, online also, is this the case?

Thanks

if you know anyone in trinity get them to buy it through apple.com. its probably applies to anyone with a student card, but there is some decent discount.
my girlfriend bought one last week and she got 10% off or something cos shes in trinity

This is a main characteristic of Apple as a company and also of their supply/channel mgt. As they have such tight control over distribution,etc you will not find a great variance in price anywhere!!!!

Two options: The first is somewhere like PC World who often sell of older models with less spec than the current standings. Option two is to buy it in the states where you may save 50-100 euro or so.

Forgetting about the price, just buy one, they are savage, you won't look back!!!!

JeffM said:

Thanks

Option three: Trinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dudley said:
if you know anyone in trinity get them to buy it through apple.com. its probably applies to anyone with a student card, but there is some decent discount.
my girlfriend bought one last week and she got 10% off or something cos shes in trinity

You got the boot? Shit buzz. What they like to work for?
ReadySteadyJedi said:
Find someone who works in apple. They get hefty discounts on all apple products. Wish i'd got one before i got the boot.

JeffM said:

Thanks

the profit margins when selling computers are puny so basically everywhere is more or less the same price as to sell cheaper means the seller is losing money i believe.

Pick up a copy of macuser in a newsagents, more or less all u.k. dealers are listed in it but you'll see there's very little (if indeed any) variation in prices

true. you'll never look back.

it's a long shot but if you befriend someone who works in the apple factory in cork you could avail of the mega employee discounts that they enjoy if you buy one through them. up to 30% off I believe!

this has been the most useless suggession yet. sorry everybody..

tripoli said:
This is a main characteristic of Apple as a company and also of their supply/channel mgt. As they have such tight control over distribution,etc you will not find a great variance in price anywhere!!!!

Two options: The first is somewhere like PC World who often sell of older models with less spec than the current standings. Option two is to buy it in the states where you may save 50-100 euro or so.

Forgetting about the price, just buy one, they are savage, you won't look back!!!!

i got the top of the range powerbook at xmas for work (ahem!), 'tis great, specially with the wi-fi built in. I'm currently sitting in the sunny garden doing my various pre-press jobs. ah bliss!

tripoli said:
Option three: Trinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any higher education institution at all. you just have to buy your puter while logged into the apple store from a computer on campus. then you can avail of the HE discount - be sure it's the higher education and not just education, cause it's a bigger discount.

i bought my shower book while working in a college in England and got nearly £300 off the normal price. now, if you knew someone in a HE institution in the USA you'd get more off cause of the silly almost 1:1 dollar:euro ratio apple uses.

or you could try buying in england from the refurbished store - on the apple website and has a recycling icon. they sell redone laptops that have any problem parts replaced and it's all under warranty. ideally, you buy one and it breaks within a year so you get a replacement brand new one.

tripoli said:
You got the boot? Shit buzz. What they like to work for?

i thought they were great to be honest. The shifts are long but there's buttloads of overtime and it's ten bones an hour, so tis grand. The only problem is they kinda take people on just to do the orders they have and once they're done you're laid off. We got about four hours notice we were being laid off, which obviously was shite, but otherwise, i'd go back in a second.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
i thought they were great to be honest. The shifts are long but there's buttloads of overtime and it's ten bones an hour, so tis grand. The only problem is they kinda take people on just to do the orders they have and once they're done you're laid off. We got about four hours notice we were being laid off, which obviously was shite, but otherwise, i'd go back in a second.

same deal with Dell in Limerick

I worked in dell in slimedick in 1995. jesus christ, what have I done with my life..

that was before the prostitution, drug dealing, undercover DS taking jobs, employees having their cars robbed by other employees etc. etc. era..

you could get a job in there in a fingerclick. even if you had a criminal record. awesome. go limerick! :D

tripoli said:

Buying from the states involves actually knowing someone in the states. most apple resellers there won't ship to non-US addresses cos apple doesn't let them.

Unicron said:
Is there an issue with power supplies and the like is you get one in the US? Can you just go into a computer shop here and buy one that uses and Irish plug and it'll work fine or will you need a transformer?

afaik, the power supply is worldwide so it'll adapt to whatever voltage there is. You just need to buy an adapter for the plug.

sí. this is correct. I know someone who used to get powerbooks from the states. in fact I'm typing this on one right now. it's old and slow and a piece of shit and one of these days I'm gonna beat/kick/stab/smash it to death.

however, I'd never go back to using a yucky pc.

so yeah, plug adaptor. problem solved yadda yadda :)

Since it hadn't been mentioned...

For second-hand powerbooks, the Buy & Sell is worth a try. Best, in my experience, to place a Wanted ad, and that way, sellers may come to you first...

I recently picked up a clamshell iBook there for my Mum - final model (i.e. decent spec), in mint condition, for just €300 - so there are some great deals to be had, with a little haggling...

I personally think that second-hand is the way to go - for the simple reason that, (speed-wise anyhow), the powerbook line is effectively frozen until the release of the new Intel-based models, which are thought to be coming on stream late 2006 / early 2007.

To do a little homework on the pros and cons of the variety of second-hand powerbook models, check out everymac.com...

With relation to the UK Apple Refurbished Store - unfortunately they won't deliver to Ireland - as I discovered when I phoned them about this recently - so you'd have to get something shipped to a UK address.

But ultimately , if you can afford it, just buy it new - a mac costs a bit more, but you're paying for a huge amount of future-proofing, and it'll be useful for at least five years(-ish).

And just to be on the safe side - before buying new - check out the Buyers' Guide on macrumors.com, to make sure that a new model isn't just around the corner...

(So bored at work... Such a mac geek...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back