Anyone of you use MIDI etc in 1980/90s? (1 Viewer)

the first thing i got was a Yamaha RX21 in 93, then i picked up a second hand Atari St 4mb with a sampling card, a Yamaha SY22 and a Alesis SR16 about 94/95. I was using Concerto for sequencing.
and i now have that Yamaha RX21 (thanks again!) which works great as a drum machine but i cant get it to trigger shit on any DAW.

I used to use Octamed on an Amiga 500. Had a sampler too at one stage but before that I relied on disks of samples that we used to get from fellas my dad knew. The Amiga community was great. There used be "copying parties" in the Ormonde hotel we'd go to, me and my dad.
Big room with loads of amigas set up and people manning them, copying away. There'd be tournaments for the kids in the room next door. Driving games, beat 'em ups.....heaven.
I had disks of samples....mainly from acid house and NWA tracks. They were pretty cool to the ears of a 10 year old. Of course all the "music" I made was shite, but it was great fun.

In 1995, aged 13, I used an Amiga to construct a 'song' that consisted of a sample of a jungle beat, a '60s organ sample and the doc from Star Trek saying "Damn it jim, I'm a doctor". I remember thinking it was fucking deadly. :)
If I can find it, I'll post it.

In 1995, aged 13, I used an Amiga to construct a 'song' that consisted of a sample of a jungle beat, a '60s organ sample and the doc from Star Trek saying "Damn it jim, I'm a doctor". I remember thinking it was fucking deadly. :)

I'd love to hear that.
I probably had the same disk of samples. I remember samples from 2001. "Open the pod bay door Hal" and "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that". I'd put them in tracks, clueless to what they were from. With some crazy jungle rhythm behind it, of course.

Didn't 808 State make their first album using an Amiga?

Also, I'm a big fan of the tracks that the crackers would use over their intros to cracked games. They'd have their messages to other cracker groups and to rivals. It was a fucking art form. I find myself humming the tunes every now and again. LODGED in my brain from playing whatever game so many hundreds of times. They tried to take our Amiga away when we were kids. It lasted about 2 hours.

Cracktros they were called:
http://www.cracktros.org/

Fuck, I'm gonna be up all night now...

i think i have something similar from around the same time.
jungle beats,a pitched up sample of someone saying "DJ in Full EFFECT" followed by a sample of me saying"Prostitutes" over and over.
happy days.
i did mine using two tape decks ,though.
we didnt get amigas in cork till 2002.

Last year i tried to get my amiga back up and running to hear
a few samples i have in amiga format(cant even remember what format they were)

Anyhoo i ordered an amiga psu of ebay cost about 20.Any way when it finally came i discovered disk drive was fecked , try'd puttin a drive from a old pc in no joy.Then i realised i didnt have a mouse or workbench disk.

Then i realised why i stop using the bastard in the first place
waste of time - i'd never go back to Amiga / Atari world unless i had way to much time on me hands :-(

Scientician, any chance of posting this thesis online when you have it done? It sounds like it'll be an interesting read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back